[ROM] KKMod GB ROM for 8" IMX515 - v2.3.4

KillerKink

Developer
Mar 16, 2011
*** Official Release 3 ***

Language Translation welcome:
Some of the mod are done purely on English. Anyone wishing to translate to his native language can pass me the translation to be added.

As this is based on Freescale R10.3.1, there are likely to be features that are working in v2.3.3r03c that is not working in this beta rom.

More testing and feedback means better rom. If you have used an usb hardware that work on the rom, please do share.:)

- Working g-sensor(for two speakers model, change the model under settings->kkmod tweaks)
- Working camera
- Working wifi
- Working Bluetooth support(Not all dongle will work, see below for dongle which work)
- 3G is expected to work but not tested(one user confirm not working)
- Based on Gingerbread v2.3.4-rc1
- not required to install youtube.apk as it can be access via browser
- Market v3.3.11
- ADW Launcher(kudo to cyanogen)
- OS Monitor(http://code.google.com/p/android-os-monitor/)
- Working external sd slot
- Soft button(home/menu/back)
- Rooted
- Date correction
- Percentage Battery in Statusbar(thanks to Fightspit for his thread)
- KKMod Tweaks (Reboot,Calibrate Touchscreen,Switch to two speakers,Enable 3G,Enable OpenDNS)
- Performance and Memory Tweaks
- Translation for Russian(ru),Portuguese(pt), Italian(it) language
- Change battery warning popup from 15% to 10%
- Remapped Hardware keys - Only Back button will wake tablet from sleep.(see below pictures for details)
- Added Recent apps softbutton
- Market v3.3.12
- Move data correction to earlier in the boot process(may help some users who have issue with correction)
- KKMod Tweaks -> Shutdown device

Things to Fix/Improve in next release:
- Adhoc wifi
- Add longpress to bring up settings for power widget for wifi and bluetooth

Some users reported boot loop(stuck in boot animation) after upgrading, you need to use "adb shell wipe data" and restart the tablet. As this will wipe your data, you might want to consider backing it up with application such as titanium backup before flashing v2.3.4. You can also do a factory reset using KKMod ROM Utility(HOME+MENU)

Installation Steps
1. Download update-v2.3.4.zip
2, Connect USB from Table to PC and enable USB from statusbar
3. Copy update-v2.3.4.zip to Tablet
4. Boot into KKMod ROM Utility using HOME + MENU
5. ROM Update-> update-v2.3.4.zip

ROM Download:
http://www.fileserve.com/file/zdMj73g

For those of you who insist to have a raw SD image :

4GB Raw Image Part 1
4GB Raw Image Part 2

KKMod Tweaks(all settings required reboot after change)
Enable 3G Support
-If disable, rom will not load phone.apk and telephonyprovider.apk which is required for 3G. Enable if you have 3G connection

OpenDNS using DHCP
- By default, ROM will using OpenDNS for name to IP address resolution. In most cases, this is expected to improve browsing experiences. Disable to use your ISP DNS

IMX515 Model
- Select two speakers if you have that to correct the g-sensor.

KKMOD ROM HardKeys' fuctions
kkmodkeys.jpg

BlueTooth Dongle which work on KKMod ROM
Look like Cambridge Silicon based dongle is widely available in the market. Note that the physical appearance of the dongle is not an indicative of compatibility. Its the device ID that is most important.

BilliontonUSBBT02BluetoothAdapter.gif

Identify by ROM as 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle(Billionton)
http://www.wireless-driver.com/billionton-usbbt02-bluetooth-windows-driver-software/

bluetoothdongle.jpg

Identify by ROM as 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (Unknown Brand)

sku118661.jpg

Identify by ROM as 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (Unknown Brand)
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/super-mini-bluetooth-2-0-adapter-dongle-vista-compatible-11866

device20111211154752.png
device20111211154807.png
device20111211154821.png

Last edited:

y110

Nov 7, 2011
i have updated it from gingerbread v2.3.3 ..... but after that my tablet stuck and 'kkmod gingerbread logo' when boot.... how to fix this? i think all process like flash uramdisk and system image okay...but i dont know why i got this error.... can u check it back?

KillerKink

Developer
Mar 16, 2011
i have updated it from gingerbread v2.3.3 ..... but after that my tablet stuck and 'kkmod gingerbread logo' when boot.... how to fix this? i think all process like flash uramdisk and system image okay...but i dont know why i got this error.... can u check it back?

try adb shell rm -R /data/dalvik*/*

if it does not work, you have to do a "adb wipe data" which is like a factory reset.

y110

Nov 7, 2011
no...it does not work.. i tried it... actually my tablet is suck when boot up the tablet AT 'gingerbread kkmod logo'....it stuck there at spinning logo process...

KillerKink

Developer
Mar 16, 2011
no...it does not work.. i tried it... actually my tablet is suck when boot up the tablet AT 'gingerbread kkmod logo'....it stuck there at spinning logo process...

which one did you try? and what do you see on your pc after you tried out the command?

KillerKink

Developer
Mar 16, 2011
after i say the command and pres enter then it say nothing...

then something is wrong. when you do "adb shell wipe data", there should be a message saying wiping data.

In any case, when you try the first command, you need to restart the unit. If it does not work, try the 2nd one and also restart.

y110

Nov 7, 2011
i tried it too.... when i type the fist command it say othing and after i write second commnd it say done wipe data....but the same problem occured... when i flash the image back it still suck at the kkmod gingerbread logo....

KillerKink

Developer
Mar 16, 2011
i tried it too.... when i type the fist command it say othing and after i write second commnd it say done wipe data....but the same problem occured... when i flash the image back it still suck at the kkmod gingerbread logo....

what does "adb logcat" say?

mmcqueary70

Mar 15, 2011
I get a message "error flashing system image" the udisk did fine. I need to work on it when I can fire up my lap top. I notice also even though the tablet says its in flash mode the rom kit cant connect most of the time. I keep trying and it connects finally and allows me to do what I need to. Right now my tab is also stuck in the boot animation also but it's because I don't think the system image updated correctly or at all Ill keep trying.

y110

Nov 7, 2011
yeah.... my problem is same with yours...i always get error say :'error flash system.img" and when i tried for many time finally it say sending uramdisk okay ..... writing uramdisk okay..... and when i flash the system image it say sending system image ______ bytes okay... writing sytem image okay... then when reboot my tablet it got stuck at the bot animation....

KillerKink

Developer
Mar 16, 2011
I get a message "error flashing system image" the udisk did fine. I need to work on it when I can fire up my lap top. I notice also even though the tablet says its in flash mode the rom kit cant connect most of the time. I keep trying and it connects finally and allows me to do what I need to. Right now my tab is also stuck in the boot animation also but it's because I don't think the system image updated correctly or at all Ill keep trying.

do a "adb shell wipe data" and restart tablet. As long as the system.img get a write ok, its fine.

if its still in bootloop after the above steps, do a "adb logcat" and capture the output and post here.