[ROM] KKMod Gingerbread ROM for 8" IMX515 (v2.3.3.r02)

KillerKink

Developer
Mar 16, 2011
KKMOD is ROM for the 8" imx515 tablet(1 or 2 speakers model) users based on the following original image (A8 iMX515 ?2.3.3_0626??(????A8????????) - ?????? ?? ?? - ????? APAD CLUB - Powered by Discuz!)

Note that there seem to be 1 known model which seem to use a realtek wifi hardware. This rom will not have a working wifi for this model. There are also 1 to 2 users who have trouble flashing the new rom so try it at your own risk.

device20111006214143.png

device20111006214215.png
device20111006214326.png

Hightlights:
- Remove a number of not needed applications(such as Phone.apk,Mms.apk)
- Revamp Home/Back/Menu soft buttons *v2.3.3.r02* (fully working menu/back buttons in v.2.3.3.r03)
- Interface clean-up to resemble a tablet than a phone(remove no service and cell signal icon)
- Fixed Battery not updating
- Fixed Unable to download from Market when application is larger than cache
- Fixed Date/Time reset when cold boot up (datecorrection property introduced in v2.3.3.r02)
- Support different g-sensor position using build.prop
- Rooted *v2.3.3.r03*
- Fix LCD Density at 160 *v2.3.3.r03*(any higher seem to worst off)
- Settings has been mod to provide a cleaner view and setting the correct hardware clock in Tablet
- Working Factory Reset
- Volume Control by long pressing of <back> hard key *v2.3.3.r02*
- Calibrate Touchscreen and Reboot option in settings *v2.3.3.r02*
- Show battery remaining percentage in expanded statusbar *v2.3.3.r02*
- work with usb bluetooth dongle ( see issues for more info)
- support 3g (required to add phone.apk to /system/app) *v2.3.3.r03*
- Fixed inverted portrait orientation for nosensor application *v2.3.3.r03*
- Change system san serif fonts to Ubuntu fonts *v2.3.3.r03*
- Add power widget in expanded status bar *v2.3.3.r03
- update market to v3.1.5 *v2.3.3.r03*
- update youtube to v2.1.2 *v2.3.3.r03*

Performance seem to be good but I have to confess that I am not a heavy user so might not have fully tested all features.

This MOD is intended as a community project. If you have benefited from this ROM, do consider contributing back in your own ways. Simple things such as sharing what work for you and for which model of tablet will be useful for other users.

Download ROM(v2.2.3.r03)

Steps for upgrading to KKMod ROM
1. Download KKMod Romkit v1.2 and burn to CD/DVD
2. Bootup RomKit
3. Bootup tablet and connect usb cable to PC and Tablet
4. Flash KKMod Bootloader using Romkit (this is only required if you currently do not have the kkmod bootloader. If you upgrading to newer release of kkmod rom, goto step 6.)
5. Shutdown Tablet
6. Hold Power + BACK and power up(make sure the usb cable is still connected).
7. Flash KKMod Android ROM using Romkit
8. Reboot Tablet using Romkit

Additional Information:

G-sensor configuration:

The sensor is expected to work out of the box for single speaker model. If you should however encountered inverted/side inverted issue, you can tune the sensor position using build.prop.

ro.sf.gsensor.position(value can be 0,1,2,3) and ro.sf.gsensor.xy(value can be 0,1). Try around different combination of position and xy.
Default is 0 for both if you did not add the parameter.

Known working config:

- Default work for single speaker model
- ro.sf.gsensor.xy=1, ro.sf.gsensor.position=2 (confirm working for a few users on dual speakers model)

Setting Date/Time:

Only the setting the time will save the date/time into the right hardware clock. If you want to change the date only, you will still need to set the time.

Factory Reset:

It is recommended to do a one time factory reset when you first flash the ROM especially if you are upgrading from 2.2
Settings->Privacy->Factory Reset

If after upgrading the rom, you get into a bootloop and is unable to do factory reset. Connect to ADB while in bootloop and run "adb shell wipe data". Thanks alistassio for sharing

Possible Improvement Plan:
- Improve touchscreen driver
- Add battery calibration?
- Build and hacked kernel image from freescale source
- Add "build.prop" management in settings(such as sensors hw orientation/date correction)
- Replace text-based calibration to graphical?

Known Issues
- One reported case of consistent tablet hung when changing date
** fixed in v.2.3.3.r02**

- One reported case of unable to wakeup from standby
** known issue with freescale code that after 10+ times of going to standby. Tablet may not be able to resume. Make sure to shtudown tablet when not in use**

- internal /sdcard get un-mounted when usb drive is connected

- menu/back soft button work intermittently

** fixed **

- bluetooth will not turn on if you connect bluetooth after you boot up due to permission isuse. It will also not work if you connect/disconnect/connect as the bluetooth device id get changed.

- 3g data will not work as Phone.apk will caused status bar to crashed
** this is due to updateDataIcon() which need to be fixed **

Last edited:

KillerKink

Developer
Mar 16, 2011
Does ADB work in this mod?

Also, when I try to go to Recovery mode, the tablet freezes up on the "KKMod Recovery 1.0" logo.

Yes, it does.

Recovery mode is only activated using factory reset. Going directly into recovery doesnt do anything. This mod is meant for end-user, developer should flash their own/custom recovery image.

tekowalsky

Jan 1, 2011
I haven't been able to see the tablet from ADB. (Does not appear on the list of devices.)

Now it won't boot into regular mode.

Not sure what went wrong unless it was something to do with your recovery. The tablet seemed to work fine until I tried to go to recovery mode... Kudos on all the hard work.

I must have missed the post where you explained your Recovery only works if you go through Factory Reset.

I'll give it another try with a different recovery (and I'll remember to set up what I need to root before I seal the tablet up... doh!)

Last edited:

KillerKink

Developer
Mar 16, 2011
I haven't been able to see the tablet from ADB. (Does not appear on the list of devices.)

Now it won't boot into regular mode.

Not sure what went wrong unless it was something to do with your recovery. The tablet seemed to work fine until I tried to go to recovery mode... Kudos on all the hard work.

I must have missed the post where you explained your Recovery only works if you go through Factory Reset.

I'll give it another try with a different recovery (and I'll remember to set up what I need to root before I seal the tablet up... doh!)

Going into recovery mode manually does nothing( it wont do any config change so it will not affect your normal boot). If you are going into bootloop(mean you are stuck at the boot animation) after upgrading, connect usb and select "adb shell wipe data".

You can use kkmod romkit v1 to get into adb mode.

If you feel like configuring your computer for adb, refer to this :

setting up adb in 2.3.3

tekowalsky

Jan 1, 2011
Going into recovery mode manually does nothing( it wont do any config change so it will not affect your normal boot). If you are going into bootloop(mean you are stuck at the boot animation) after upgrading, connect usb and select "adb shell wipe data".

You can use kkmod romkit v1 to get into adb mode.

If you feel like configuring your computer for adb, refer to this :

setting up adb in 2.3.3

Thanks for the link. I'll try that tomorrow.

I'm also finding the new version of the Market force closes on this build.

KillerKink

Developer
Mar 16, 2011
Thanks for the link. I'll try that tomorrow.

I'm also finding the new version of the Market force closes on this build.

yes, so far, there is one user who feedback too that the new version of market is not working. But I have not tried it yet and its not a priority since stock rom market is working well.

tekowalsky

Jan 1, 2011
The problem I'm having is that every time I use the stock market, the new market downloads without my asking. Very irritating and not necessarily your mod in action.

The ADB change in the link you posted worked (thanks!).

I'm not having any luck rooting so far. I set the permissions to 4755 on the su binary and busybox. Superuser doesn't work and I've had no luck with Gingerbreak either.

Edit: I got the ROM rooted. The permissions need to be 6755 on the su binary. Also I used the su binary extracted from the latest version of Super User, available here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=682828

Last edited:

awafula

Apr 29, 2011
Thanks. Been looking to try out Gingerbread on my Apad 2 speaker no screws model. Will let you know how it goes.
Andrew

Last edited:

tekowalsky

Jan 1, 2011
It's great to have (working) Gingerbread on my imx-515. I hacked around with the source from Freescale but just haven't had time to get something functional. I appreciate all your hard work.

Here's what I've found that doesn't work so far on my two speaker, no screws tablet
(I see the same issues on my one speaker, two screws with camera tablet.)

Long press of the physical Back button does not bring up the volume control.
The status bar Home button usually works.
The status bar Menu button almost never works.
The status bar Back button almost never works.
The old market works but every time I use it, the new market update is installed.
The new market force closes whenever I try to install anything.
I also get a crashed tablet every time I try to change the date. (have to reset after)

Additional thoughts:
ts.conf added to /system/etc helps with the touchpad issues.
I changed the LCD Density to 145. The 180 setting made everything huge.

Last edited:

awafula

Apr 29, 2011
Hello,
Followed the instructions to the letter but I got a bricked tablet. It is stuck at the penguin, and won't go any further. Any ideas on how to recover?
Andrew

KillerKink

Developer
Mar 16, 2011
It's great to have (working) Gingerbread on my imx-515. I hacked around with the source from Freescale but just haven't had time to get something functional. I appreciate all your hard work.

Here's what I've found that doesn't work so far on my two speaker, no screws tablet
(I see the same issues on my one speaker, two screws with camera tablet.)

Long press of the physical Back button does not bring up the volume control.
The status bar Home button usually works.
The status bar Menu button almost never works.
The status bar Back button almost never works.
The old market works but every time I use it, the new market update is installed.
The new market force closes whenever I try to install anything.
I also get a crashed tablet every time I try to change the date. (have to reset after)

Additional thoughts:
ts.conf added to /system/etc helps with the touchpad issues.
I changed the LCD Density to 145. The 180 setting made everything huge.

BACK button can be override by any applications. Most games intecept the BACK button and reconfigure it. It can work in home or applications that does not customise the BACK button such as youtube.

Yeah. There are issue with the soft button that I have not figure it out as yet.

It definitely very strange since it does not force me to "update" to new market. It also does not sound right since the "new" market is a leak and not a official release so gingerbread should not force it on you. I suggest that there are still traces of your previous installation that is causing it.

Thats very strange, you are the first that I heard of that crashed 100% of the time when changing date. I have not been touching the date stuff for a while and I know for a fact that r02 no longer do datecorrection so it still something I will need to fix.

Nothing in the source codes mention about ts.conf. Of course, I am assuming that the manufacturer did not change the code. What kind of effect does ts.conf have?

The default is 160. Changing to 180 doesnt really have visible effect as its still in the medium density range. Setting to anything lower than 160 will make android detect the tablet as low density screen. Some applications does not support low density screen. The statusbar look bigger as I have make it bigger. :)

Hello,
Followed the instructions to the letter but I got a bricked tablet. It is stuck at the penguin, and won't go any further. Any ideas on how to recover?
Andrew

Did you see the kkmod logo(white android with a ubuntu in the middle) when you boot up? Are you able to get into flash mode(Press Menu + BACK)?

What steps did you follow to the letter?

awafula

Apr 29, 2011
Hello,

Yes. I am able to see the kkmod logo when I boot up. I am able to get into flash mode.

These are the steps I followed:
1. Download KKMod Romkit v1.2a and burn to CD/DVD
2. Bootup RomKit
4. Flash KKMod Bootloader using Romkit
5. Shutdown Tablet
6. Hold Menu + BACK and power up(make sure the usb cable is still connected).

It booted up with the kkmod logo and then to the penguin and after that it got stuck there.

Anything else I can do?

Regards,
Andrew

KillerKink

Developer
Mar 16, 2011
Hello,

Yes. I am able to see the kkmod logo when I boot up. I am able to get into flash mode.

These are the steps I followed:
1. Download KKMod Romkit v1.2a and burn to CD/DVD
2. Bootup RomKit
4. Flash KKMod Bootloader using Romkit
5. Shutdown Tablet
6. Hold Menu + BACK and power up(make sure the usb cable is still connected).

It booted up with the kkmod logo and then to the penguin and after that it got stuck there.

Anything else I can do?

Regards,
Andrew

Was there any error at step 7? I suggest that you redo step 7.