[ROM] WM8650_Android2.2_1.1.1_20110404 NL (root/boost/fix/expanded)

les.classic

Mar 31, 2011
Sorry for the double post, but from what I can tell z4root is supposed to reboot the tablet after you permanent root it. For some reason, mine says it's rooted, but when I restart it says it isn't again...

I thought this process would be much more simple, I don't know where to go from here.

nikosg

Apr 19, 2011
hello i am from greece i have (wonder media wm 8650) android 2.2 and i im trying to connect to android market greece ,but i cαnt to do this Connect by default to china android market

mrmox

Oct 29, 2011
summary: you are executing the su that is in busybox and that is NOT the su we need to execute!

I'm sorry guys, I'm new to this and could really use some help.

I have a 7inch wm8650 tablet and I'm trying to root it and install this rom.

I've tried to root the tablet via z4root and Universal Androot, but when I type in su in the terminal emulator, it tells me "must be suid to work properly".

Is there an essential step I'm missing? I really would appreciate any help that could be given.

I also was stuck at this step but I am still using the firmware that came with my WM8650 MID originally.

My years of experience with unix (which came before linux) led me to suspect that in Terminal Emulator
when I typed su I was getting the su in Busybox which might be different from the su I really wanted
to run (I further suspect that the busybox su checks if it is running as root before it trys to change
to root which is crazy isn't it?). Indeed I found another su, and when I got it to execute I got the
# prompt that proves I have root:

$ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
$ which su
/bin/su
$ cd system
$ cd bin
$ ls -lt su
-rwsr-sr-x 1 root 10036 26264 Oct 29 16:21 su

$ su
su: must be suid to work properly
$ pwd
/system/bin
$ ./su
# whoami
root
#

I will give details of the above commands as best as I understand (probably too pedantic for
some but really helpful to others):

$ which su
/bin/su

the which command tells us what will be executed when we type a command, which is important
because there can be multiple executables with the same name: in this case I believe the su in
/bin/su is a link to busybox which then checks and reports that since it is not root it cannot
change (spawn a new shell?) with root privilege

$ cd system
$ cd bin
$ ls -lt su

Look! Here is another su in /system/bin! I wonder where this su executable came from?
Well the DATE suggests to me that maybe it came from z4root because this was the day I
am working on this stuff. So I want to try to execute this.

$ pwd
/system/bin
$ su

Still seems to be the busybox su executing, so cd to the directory is not sufficient to get the
new su to execute. Next try to use some syntax that is supposed to
always execute the command in the current directory rather than searching the path

$ ./su
# whoami
root
#

Success! The # prompt means that this shell is at root privilege! NOTE that the ./su also caused the
Superuser app to add Terminal Emulator to the (previously empty) Apps list. It prompted me and I
clicked on "OK to add" or something like that. Apparently that is how the Superuser app (HORRIBLE
idea to give it that name) works: an app has to ask for root privilege, then Superuser is triggered
and user is prompted to make sure it is OK for that app to have root privilege. Then app is
added to that list Superuser keeps. Perhaps?

I do not think this gets me any closer to using adb over usb with this WM8650 MID.

Has anyone who has the WM8650 MID with the 24 pin dongle figured out how to connect to
a PC? I think there is a false rumor that a cable exists to plug in instead of the dongle
because some other MID owners have a 36? pin connector that can use some Apple USB
cable for the PC connection.

The good news is that my cheap Inland 70141 USB keyboard works well in this WM8650 MID,
and so do USB memory sticks I have tried. But I really want to use adb! And nothing at
all happens on the PC when I connect the A-A (male-male) cable between the WM8650 MID
and the PC (I would expect at least some unrecognized device but totally nothing).
I have tried combinations of USB settings (Mass Storage On/Off, ADB On/Off) on the MID
but no difference.

Such a battle! Any ideas for abd? Thanks!

- mrmox

micromac

Nov 4, 2011
Wonder media wm8650 9.7 screen view 6 different look how to adjust or resolve please help me

about device
Model number : wonder media wm8650 eng 2.2 froyo ver1.3.0-20110418.042309
android version :2.2
Kernel version :2.6.32.9 default
build number ;geneic eng 2.2 froyo ver1.3.0-20110418.042309
display size ; 9.7
hello friends my friend tablet wm8659 9.7 me buy one day hire but that day me install honycomb to this tablet later tablet screen view 6 different look any way this screen adjust or downgrade this tablet to old froyo pleseee help me am help less
( this tablet owner say to me. resolve this problem or give a new tablet ) i have no money buy new tablet iam a poor indian boy pleas help me see this link tablet images http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/members/micromac-albums-wm8650-9-7.html

tvjudge

May 17, 2012
summary: you are executing the su that is in busybox and that is NOT the su we need to execute!

I also was stuck at this step but I am still using the firmware that came with my WM8650 MID originally.

My years of experience with unix (which came before linux) led me to suspect that in Terminal Emulator
when I typed su I was getting the su in Busybox which might be different from the su I really wanted
to run (I further suspect that the busybox su checks if it is running as root before it trys to change
to root which is crazy isn't it?). Indeed I found another su, and when I got it to execute I got the
# prompt that proves I have root:
$ export PATH=/data/local/bin:$PATH
$ which su
/bin/su
$ cd system
$ cd bin
$ ls -lt su

$ su
$ pwd
/system/bin
$ ./su
# whoami
root
#

I will give details of the above commands as best as I understand (probably too pedantic for
some but really helpful to others):

$ which su
/bin/su

the which command tells us what will be executed when we type a command, which is important
because there can be multiple executables with the same name: in this case I believe the su in
/bin/su is a link to busybox which then checks and reports that since it is not root it cannot
change (spawn a new shell?) with root privilege
$ cd system
$ cd bin
$ ls -lt su

Look! Here is another su in /system/bin! I wonder where this su executable came from?
Well the DATE suggests to me that maybe it came from z4root because this was the day I
am working on this stuff. So I want to try to execute this.
$ pwd
/system/bin
$ su

Still seems to be the busybox su executing, so cd to the directory is not sufficient to get the
new su to execute. Next try to use some syntax that is supposed to
always execute the command in the current directory rather than searching the path
$ ./su
# whoami
root
#

Success! The # prompt means that this shell is at root privilege! NOTE that the ./su also caused the
Superuser app to add Terminal Emulator to the (previously empty) Apps list. It prompted me and I
clicked on "OK to add" or something like that. Apparently that is how the Superuser app (HORRIBLE
idea to give it that name) works: an app has to ask for root privilege, then Superuser is triggered
and user is prompted to make sure it is OK for that app to have root privilege. Then app is
added to that list Superuser keeps. Perhaps?

I do not think this gets me any closer to using adb over usb with this WM8650 MID.

Has anyone who has the WM8650 MID with the 24 pin dongle figured out how to connect to
a PC? I think there is a false rumor that a cable exists to plug in instead of the dongle
because some other MID owners have a 36? pin connector that can use some Apple USB
cable for the PC connection.

The good news is that my cheap Inland 70141 USB keyboard works well in this WM8650 MID,
and so do USB memory sticks I have tried. But I really want to use adb! And nothing at
all happens on the PC when I connect the A-A (male-male) cable between the WM8650 MID
and the PC (I would expect at least some unrecognized device but totally nothing).
I have tried combinations of USB settings (Mass Storage On/Off, ADB On/Off) on the MID
but no difference.

Such a battle! Any ideas for abd? Thanks!

- mrmox

so far your post was the most helpful to me Thanks a lot I was finally able to gain su access