Root Coby 7065 via ADB or Recovery

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I have found several ways to root Coby 7065 I have included them is a zip file below.

Note all recoveries for coby 7065 ie stock, cwm, twrp have a 4 minute time limit. Around 4 minutes, I get 3 minutes 48 seconds, but would depend on when timer is set. So don't waste a lot of time in recovery, at this time I am unable to disable this timer, I can't find it, Coby has a lot of hidden stuff in these tablets.

When the timer hits its end the recovery will reboot on it's own no matter what user is doing, so wasting time can cause problems even if you are installing a backup if the timer ends the tablet will reboot on it's own and you wont be able to boot as the install was incomplete you would then need to boot from sdcard and finish install, don't waste time from this recovery mode either same timer applies.

1. This first method is the same as we use on Coby 3rd Gen.

must have adb setup and working correctly to use this method should work for other Gen 4 Coby's.

extract 7065_root.zip

extract 7065_ADB_root.zip

adb push data /data/local/tmp/

adb shell

chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/mempodroid

/data/local/tmp/mempodroid 0xdaa4 0xaffb sh /data/local/tmp/root.sh

su

2. This method is rooting through recovery

extract 7065_root.zip

place uImage_recovery and Root_Coby_7065.zip on your micro sdcard, power off tablet.

hold volume up, press and hold power for 5 seconds release power keep holding volume til you see cw recovery.

use cw recovery to navigate to Root_Coby_7065.zip then install Root_Coby_7065.zip

7065_root.zip

Credits Christian Troy For his recovery and source.

720dfd2c8456b91011e9f11a60e43c3f /home/vampirefo/Desktop/7065/root/uImage_recovery

c010f4090053e9f8343866e48c63ea07 /home/vampirefo/Desktop/7065/root/7065_ADB_root.zip

7ef68d831584f2fc331251d1092b4caf /home/vampirefo/Desktop/7065/root/7065_root.zip

5d6efc01e55b96f545447368af521502 /home/vampirefo/Desktop/7065/root/Root_Coby_7065.zip

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
This zip contains unsecure boot.img and recovery.img that can be flashed to tablet.

Using uImage_recovery from first post to flash it.

unsecure boot.img means adb shell is always root, and adb remount command works.

The recovery.img will replace the stock recovery, with cw recovery. from this point on booting into recovery mode will be cw recovery instead of stock.

Coby_7065_boot_recovery.zip

You don't have to use this flash this zip, it just makes root a little better.

Last edited:

ajelin

Jan 19, 2012
I have found several ways to root Coby 7065 I have included them is a zip file below.

1. This first method is the same as we use on Coby 3rd Gen.

must have adb setup and working correctly to use this method should work for other Gen 4 Coby's.

extract 7065_root.zip

extract 7065_ADB_root.zip

adb push data /data/local/tmp/

adb shell

chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/mempodroid

/data/local/tmp/mempodroid 0xdaa4 0xaffb sh /data/local/tmp/root.sh

su

2. This method is rooting through recovery

extract 7065_root.zip

place uImage_recovery and Root_Coby_7065.zip on your micro sdcard, power off tablet.

hold volume up, press and hold power for 5 seconds release power keep holding volume til you see cw recovery.

use cw recovery to navigate to Root_Coby_7065.zip then install Root_Coby_7065.zip

7065_root.zip

Do the zip files extract into the correct directories?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I don't understand your question.

Sent from my Coby MID7065 using Android Tablet

ajelin

Jan 19, 2012
Do the zip files extract into the correct directories?
What I meant is which directories do the zip files extract to?
Since the script uses directories, do the zip files extract to the directories shown in the script?

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
The only zip that contains an update-script is Root_Coby_7065.zip, it installs root files via uImage_recovery . 7065_ADB_root.zip is for adb rooting. 7065_root.zip is just a zip that contains the other zips, it does nothing other than hold the other zips. extract 7065_root.zip to your desktop from there you use other zips to root.

Last edited:

ajelin

Jan 19, 2012
The only zip that contains an update-script is Root_Coby_7065.zip, it installs root files via uImage_recovery . 7065_ADB_root.zip is for adb rooting. 7065_root.zip is just a zip that contains the other zips, it does nothing other than hold the other zips. extract 7065_root.zip to your desktop from there you use other zips to root.
Tried method 2 and all looked like it went well but SU wasn't installed.
There was a slight glitch after reboot and it said cannot continue upgrade. I attempted it again and Unfortunately System Update has stopped.
I did a full factory rest, same results

Can I recover from this or am I stuck?

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Tried method 2 and all looked like it went well but SU wasn't installed.
There was a slight glitch after reboot and it said cannot continue upgrade. I attempted it again and Unfortunately System Update has stopped.
I did a full factory rest, same results

Can I recover from this or am I stuck?

interesting could be a bad download, download file again and install. I don't understand your glitch, Have you tried any other root method before trying mine?

I am sure we can get it working, if we have to reinstall firmware, I just need to know what you have done to your tablet before trying my root method.

I have added md5sums to first post.

Last edited:

ajelin

Jan 19, 2012
interesting could be a bad download, download file again and install. I don't understand your glitch, Have you tried any other root method before trying mine?

I am sure we can get it working, if we have to reinstall firmware, I just need to know what you have done to your tablet before trying my root method.

I have added md5sums to first post.

!. Attempted to use UnlockRoot as part of testing for tipster at KTZ, couldn't connect to tablet even though everything else did.
2. Installed PDAnet and tried again, no luck.
3. Used your #2 and you know results of that.

Actually until I tried to install your #2, nothing I tried would connect to tablet Root wise I mean.
What is md5sums?

Also, are there supposed to be 2 lines between chmod command and /data......?

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
!. Attempted to use UnlockRoot as part of testing for tipster at KTZ, couldn't connect to tablet even though everything else did.
2. Installed PDAnet and tried again, no luck.
3. Used your #2 and you know results of that.

Actually until I tried to install your #2, nothing I tried would connect to tablet Root wise I mean.
What is md5sums?

Also, are there supposed to be 2 lines between chmod command and /data......?

tipster is an idiot, he is the reason I agreed with Coby not to make any recoveries for future versions of Coby tablets, his roms destroys more tablets than anyone.

Anyway I am uploading a stock rooted for Coby 7065.

md5sums are checksum of files.

2 lines? I don't understand this question.

Ok I get the 2 line comments, When I typed the post I thought it would be easier to read, I have now dropped the second space so as not to confuse you

Last edited:

ajelin

Jan 19, 2012
Here is my rooted stock rom.

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-4/58416-stock-7065-rooted-rom.html

Also have you tried to download and use my root method again?

I have no ideal what UnlockRoot might have done to your tablet or pc. hopefully no damage was done.

"UnlockRoot" did no harm because it could never connect to 7065.
But I had success :D with re-installing stock version then doing the update.

Thank you so much for your help and patience.

Art

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
"UnlockRoot" did no harm because it could never connect to 7065.
But I had success :D with re-installing stock version then doing the update.

Thank you so much for your help and patience.

Art

I am glad it all worked out for you.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
can i install this on my coby 1060?

No ideal I don't own one or ever seen one. if you want to try the recovery from sdcard it's safe to use that way, as it doesn't write the recovery to tablet.

Give it a try if it works great if not no harm done. do no flash the recovery though, just boot from sdcard and use it.

Last edited: