Root Coby 8065 via ADB

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
In order to do this, you must have ADB up and working.

Files to download: AMlogic_Coby_ADB_root.zip here >>>AMlogic_Coby_ADB_root

This method is the same as we use on Coby 3rd Gen.

You must have adb setup and working correctly to use this method. It should work for other Gen 4 Coby's.

extract AMlogic_Coby_ADB_root.zip to your adb directory.

adb push data /data/local/tmp/

adb shell

chmod 0777 /data/local/tmp/mempodroid

/data/local/tmp/mempodroid 0xdaa4 0xaffb sh /data/local/tmp/root.sh

su

Always make a system dump after rooting.

adb shell

su

mkdir /sdcard/dump

cat /dev/mtd/mtd4 > /sdcard/dump/boot.img
cat /dev/mtd/mtd3 > /sdcard/dump/recovery.img
cat /dev/mtd/mtd0 > /sdcard/dump/bootloader.img
busybox tar -czvf /sdcard/dump/My_coby_8065_system.tgz /system

You may have to update your busybox to complete this dump

Update 12-9-13

Thanks to vampirefo's work, we now have a root method from ext-sdcard without ADB.

Note, Coby gen4 recovery has a time limit of ~ 4 minutes. The system will automatically reboot after 4 minutes.

These are the files required to root from ext-sdcard.

1. Download 8065_root.zip and extract.
2. Place the 3 files, 8065_uImage_recovery, Amlogic_coby_fake_recovery, and Root_Coby_AMlogic.zip on your ext-sdcard.
3. rename 8065_uImage_recovery to uImage_recovery.
4. power off tablet.
5. hold volume up, press and hold power for 5 seconds release power keep holding volume til you see recovery.
6. use recovery to navigate to Amlogic_coby_fake_recovery.zip and install. This loads cwm recovery.
7. Now use cwm (fake recovery) to install install Root_Coby_AMlogic.zip

8065_root.zip >>>>> http://www.mediafire.com/download/il.../8065_root.zip

The purpose of this thread is to avoid any confusion over 7065 root methods being applied to 8065. WARNING: DO NOT USE METHOD 2 from Root Coby 7065 via Adb and Recovery ! This will force a factory reset and possible damage to your 8065 !

IF YOU NEED TO GET ADB WORKING >>> http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/coby-generation-4-technical/62708-easy-adb-install-windows.html

windows drivers are still being developed, start with the coby gen3 drivers here: >>> http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...59-basic-driver-installation-windows-pcs.html
Then add this file to your .android directory >>>>> Coby_Gen4_driver
(tested in Windows 7 and 8 only)

Credit to Vampirefo's method and original thread here >>>>> http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...al/58323-root-coby-7065-via-adb-recovery.html

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
The 7065 and 8065 kernels are the direct opposite of each other, night and day.
damage can happen to your partitions, under no circumstance should anyone flash the 7065 kernel on the 8065.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Tablet

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
You 8065 guys can try other recoveries, from 8 inch tablets, the 8 inch Wal-Mart has for $99 appears to be similar to the 8065 kernel.

bludot

Nov 10, 2013
What do you mean by that? any tablet? cause I cant find any other coby tablet with the cortex9

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
What do you mean by that? any tablet? cause I cant find any other coby tablet with the cortex9

LOL, you got to be kidding about every dual core out there is one, a simple google search will find so many you can't count them.

bludot

Nov 10, 2013
I'm sorry but i want to make sure im searching for the right thing. A recovery.img for my 8065 tablet from any cortex9 dual-core tablet?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
The only sure recovery for a Coby 8065 is from a Coby 8065, which you have.

Sent from my Coby MID7065 Android Tablet

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
The only sure recovery for a Coby 8065 is from a Coby 8065, which you have.

All other dual cores by Coby use similar recoveries to 8065, and 7065.

bludot

Nov 10, 2013
Ok. well.... its not working. I tried two methods: via android terminal and flash_image binary and used the same update zip you did for your 7065 recovery except i put mine in. I cant get it to boot into recovery. screen flashes when i hold the vol+ and then continues to boot. If i let go of the pwr button before the flash, the tablet just turns of.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Sounds about right, the 7065 recovery blew out your 8065 recovery partition it's twice the size. All well good luck to you.

bludot

Nov 10, 2013
well, lucky me :/

Would I be able to re partition the recovery partition? Is it possible from the android terminal? (i have a working rom but many things dont work:wifi, bluetooth etc. I do have root on this rom.)

Also, I am able to but the 7065 recovery image back. is the size the problem?

Last edited:

bludot

Nov 10, 2013
Could I get you source for the recovery and boot images? Im sure I will be able to fix somethings there.

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
I'm sorry about your tablet, but please do not post numerous questions that are not related to rooting the 8065. Your problem will not be answered here because you followed method 2. This thread is for method 1 only.

Post your problem on its own thread or post to a problem thread. This thread is for rooting and questions about rooting the 8065 only, not repairing tablets using different rooting methods as you did.

I have posted my 8065 dump in the request thread, its been updated to include the boot.img and recovery.img for the 8065.

Last edited:

tpaine

Aug 18, 2012
The 7065 and 8065 kernels are the direct opposite of each other, night and day.
damage can happen to your partitions, under no circumstance should anyone flash the 7065 kernel on the 8065.

Thanks for the info. My 8065 has some strange features/behaviors. For one, the ext-sd is not found in /mnt. It is mounted at /mnt/sdcard/external_sdcard

Still looking it over but some stuff is very odd. Not sure if damage was done booting to the 7065 recovery, or part of a different coby lockdown OS. I never flashed the 7065 recovery. The tab seems to work normally.

For others, until further notice, do not boot to or flash 7065 recovery !

Last edited:

arwoot

Nov 11, 2013
Wondering if anyone else is having issues with rooting the 8065 using ADB and method 1.

I downloaded all the files needed for method 1. Not sure if the device should be in recovery mode or simply in regular mode? Regardless when trying to ADB and connected via USB the computer doesn't recognize the device, meaning it's not connected to ADB. I'm wondering if there are specific USB drivers that my windows 7 laptop may have not loaded? anyone load specific drivers to adb into the device?