Root Trouble - Clockwork Recover

beccaannabell

May 8, 2011
I am using this link I found on this site.
I get to the point where I reboot recovery it starts to reboot but instead of going to the clockwork recovery menu it shows a triangle with a exclamation point in the middle and a droid under it.

Any idea on why I can't get into clockwork recovery menu?

Blagus

May 5, 2011
On that screen press back button. But, if exclamation mark appears that means you didn't install CWM (there's no such screen in CWM, AFAIK).

driggs

Apr 22, 2011
beccaannabell,

Are you doing the following commands to get into Clockwork or are you booting holding the back button (silver orb)?
type su followed by a return (should change prompt to #)
type flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img followed by a return
type reboot recovery followed by a return

If you are using those commands, I would make sure that you have the recovery.img file on your SD card and that it is mounted. You can verify that it is mounted by typing "mount | grep sdcard". If the sd card is not mounted, it will just return you to a prompt, if it is mounted, it will display one line of information about the drive and then return you to a prompt. If you have the file and the sdcard is mounted, then the above commands should have brought you into Clockwork.

If you want Clockwork to come up whenever you boot with the the back button pressed, I would recommend going over to mpass057's post on this thread.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

mpass057

Apr 23, 2011
I am using this link I found on this site.
I get to the point where I reboot recovery it starts to reboot but instead of going to the clockwork recovery menu it shows a triangle with a exclamation point in the middle and a droid under it.

Any idea on why I can't get into clockwork recovery menu?

If your using adb issue this command

Code:
adb shell mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak

If your using terminal emulator on the device leave out the "adb shell".
Then flash recovery.img again and it should stick. The install-recovery.sh file is the default recovery and gets loaded everytime if you don't hide it from the system.

driggs

Apr 22, 2011
MsSteffi,

First, make sure you have recovery.img in the root of the SD card. Then, I would try these commands (I got them from mpass057's post here):
mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bakflash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
This will allow you to boot into ClockworkMod as the recovery image by default. When you turn on the unit, hold the Silver Orb (back button) as well as the Power Button until you see the menu. Let us know if this works for you.

Last edited:

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
I have tried both of these methods and whenever it reboots it sticks at a black screen that says Coby. I was following these directions: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ace-using-update-7015a-step-step-process.html and it's sticking on Step 16.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Steffi.

What happens when you power on by holding both the power button and the silver button at the same time? Do you get the triangle with the android guy?
Press the silver button again to get to the stock recovery.
Do a wipe factory reset and start over. Also don't be afraid of the reset button on the back. Hard to brick these, some folks seem to have a hard time getting everything installed though. Don't know what the problem is. Just start over would be my recommendation.

Last edited:

MsSteffi

May 20, 2011
MsSteffi,

First, make sure you have recovery.img in the root of the SD card. Then, I would try these commands (I got them from mpass057's post here):

This will allow you to boot into ClockworkMod as the recovery image by default. When you turn on the unit, hold the Silver Orb (back button) as well as the Power Button until you see the menu. Let us know if this works for you.

I entered it in just like you said, this is what I get:

failed on '/system/etc/install-recovery.sh' - cross-device link

eruby

May 17, 2011
I don't mean to highjack this thread but I'm having a problem of a little different color. I rooted, downloaded the terminal emulator, typed su - got the prompt to change from $ to # but when I typed in the command flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img, I get a message back saying flash_image: not found. Does this mean the command "flash_image" is not found? What am I doing wrong?

Apr 28, 2011
eruby, I think from what u explained, I had the same problem. Go to the link
Look into the description, and it will explain what to do when it is not found. Install the recovery thing it tells you to. All the download links are in the description.

I hope this solves your problem

Last edited by a moderator:

eruby

May 17, 2011
xxcx, i tried this and i'm still having issues. checked again and i do have the 7015a out of the box (i didn't download the update from coby). the mv command fails saying no such file or directory. so, i went into the file manager and opened /system/etc/. there is no file in there called install-recovery.sh the only .sh file in there is init.goldfish.sh the video has a mv command which i'm guessing thats a move command to create the file install-recovery.sh.bak from the file install-recovery.sh but it fails because it doesn't fine the install-recovery.sh file. here is my device info:
Model 7015a
Firmware 2.1-update1
Kernal 2.6.29 root android 2.1
Build MOD7015a 1.6a 01/26/11

any help would be appreciated. what am i doing wrong?

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2011
Hmm. I guess the only idea I have would be to completely wipe the tablet clean of all data, and restart. To do this go to settings, privacy, then Factory data reset. I also believe that there is a way to do this in the stock recovery thing that is used to apply the update. I am not sure of this last one but i kno that the first on works.