Rooted from 1.0.0 - Can't sideload cause I can't find Nook Tools

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
I finally hit my wall I think... I can't install this because I get the error while trying to install from AppManager:
Install Blocked:
Installation of download apks is not supported.

I guess I DON'T have the ability to sideload like i thought... and I STILL don't have Nook Tools ANYWHERE that I can find. Anyone else rooted from 1.0.0 and NOT 1.0.1 that has found how to enable?

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
What about using ADB? You could load the nook tools via ADB then do the rest on the nook itself...or you could get yourself to 1.0.1

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
What about using ADB? You could load the nook tools via ADB then do the rest on the nook itself...or you could get yourself to 1.0.1

ADB works fine, where can I get the Nook Tools apk to install via ADB?

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
I finally hit my wall I think... I can't install this because I get the error while trying to install from AppManager:
Install Blocked:
Installation of download apks is not supported.

I guess I DON'T have the ability to sideload like i thought... and I STILL don't have Nook Tools ANYWHERE that I can find. Anyone else rooted from 1.0.0 and NOT 1.0.1 that has found how to enable?

What? There are no walls. There is nothing you can't do.

You don't need nook tools to sideload or install non-market apps. Anything, although a little harder than say "simple", can be done manually. Ge adb access, which you should have already at this point. Push the commands for non-market apps: NookColor Enable App install from on-device installers - nookDevs

Then sideload apps and install anything you want.

Question: why in the world are you still on 1.0.0? Its horribly buggy and slow. Move to 1.0.1 or 1.1 and experience a better NC.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
what thread? i can't find this one, I think I'm hitting brain overload today.

Its attached to bottom of original post on xda. Need an accout there to download files.

sent from my rooted nook color

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Yea i agree. i was on 1.0 for a bit and 1.0.1 runs better.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
better than what I have, i love what I have, im not sure I could handle better.... what is this "better" you refer to? I don't trust you anymore!

but seriously, how do I go from 1.0.0 autonooter to any other autonooter? Do I have to restore to factory and then begin from scratch basically? I know I can backup apps and such and then restore them (Titanium)

OR

Can I simply upgrade from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1 or 1.1.0?

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
You don't need nook tools to sideload or install non-market apps. Anything, although a little harder than say "simple", can be done manually. Ge adb access, which you should have already at this point. Push the commands for non-market apps: NookColor Enable App install from on-device installers - nookDevs

I know, and I can do that... except that since I don't have the famous "Allow non-market installs" check box, a few apps like Titanium and such don't always act right.

Question: why in the world are you still on 1.0.0? Its horribly buggy and slow. Move to 1.0.1 or 1.1 and experience a better NC.

See post above.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
If you have clockwork installed and have a backup just in case, i believe u can just load the 1.1 pre rooted rom right over top. No need to unroot and autonooter again.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
Well, after some soul searching and a little XDA searching as well, I found this thread ([APP] NookColor Tools - Access hidden settings) and installed the v0.2 of the tools with the help of this thread ([HOWTO] Install APKs in /system/app).

I now have NookColor Tools and have been able to 'Allow Non-Market Apps' so my Titanium backup is happy... now I will proceed to back up my apps so I can attempt some overwrite/reroot/end-of-the-world type of programming... yippee!!

ps -Here's the NookColor Tools apk if interested in doing this yourself: View attachment $NookColorTools_0.2.zip

Last edited:

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
better than what I have, i love what I have, im not sure I could handle better.... what is this "better" you refer to? I don't trust you anymore!

but seriously, how do I go from 1.0.0 autonooter to any other autonooter? Do I have to restore to factory and then begin from scratch basically? I know I can backup apps and such and then restore them (Titanium)

OR

Can I simply upgrade from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1 or 1.1.0?

faceman, faceman, faceman.... Seriouly man, with all the info on in the NC section, anyone can know the a-z's of everything rooting and auto-nootering.

A couple facts and I'll leave you alone:
-B&N update 1.0.1 and 1.1 are minor updates that don't affect your current theme, books, content, settings, wallpaper, apps, etc. They only replace the system folder for the android operating system, located in internal storage
-Both updates will break root, which means... your administrator type rights will be removed. Again, none of your stuff will be removed. All your apps will still be there, installed. Some apps won't work, since they need permission (by you) to work... hence rooting.
-Both updates do more for your device then what is listed in their release notes, most minor bug fixes are not listed since the average user only cares about major fixes and features.
-Both autonooter files are used for rooting your Nook Color, that's all they do. Like the updates, they don't remove any of your stuff, they only add (apps and superuser tools).

If you don't want to upgrade to 1.0.1 or 1.1, then don't, that is fine as well. As I said earlier everything you want to accomplish can be done manually. I did everything manually for the longest time and only used the autonooter a few days ago. It's a little work but nothing too hard if you are comfortable using adb. Everything you need can be found here: Category:NookColor - nookDevs

Good luck my friend and which ever way you decide to go, you can always count on help from us here in the Nook section. :)

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
faceman, faceman, faceman.... Seriouly man, with all the info on in the NC section, anyone can know the a-z's of everything rooting and auto-nootering.

A couple facts and I'll leave you alone:
-B&N update 1.0.1 and 1.1 are minor updates that don't affect your current theme, books, content, settings, wallpaper, apps, etc. They only replace the system folder for the android operating system, located in internal storage
-Both updates will break root, which means... your administrator type rights will be removed. Again, none of your stuff will be removed. All your apps will still be there, installed. Some apps won't work, since they need permission (by you) to work... hence rooting.
-Both updates do more for your device then what is listed in their release notes, most minor bug fixes are not listed since the average user only cares about major fixes and features.
-Both autonooter files are used for rooting your Nook Color, that's all they do. Like the updates, they don't remove any of your stuff, they only add (apps and superuser tools).

If you don't want to upgrade to 1.0.1 or 1.1, then don't, that is fine as well. As I said earlier everything you want to accomplish can be done manually. I did everything manually for the longest time and only used the autonooter a few days ago. It's a little work but nothing too hard if you are comfortable using adb. Everything you need can be found here: Category:NookColor - nookDevs

Good luck my friend and which ever way you decide to go, you can always count on help from us here in the Nook section. :)

Just to be clear, my comments about better were supposed to be sarcastic bsecause i thought my 1.0.0 experience was pretty good. I will be wiping my bc this weeknd and rooting fresh now that i have an idea of what i am doing as oppoised to the fumbling i've done thus far.

Ill be writing up a thread of my experience too...

Forgive any typos, his kb is not made for typing!

this post brought to you by AndroidTablets.net app