Rooted NC suddenly stops working. This newbie needs help, pls.

melrowgo

Sep 22, 2010
Good morning, all ---

I'm coming to you with the certain knowledge that you can help this newbie resurrect a NC. Assuming you have the time to do so, would you please?

Some background:
In preparation for an overseas trip, I started looking into replacing my dead Sony Reader. I also was dreaming about an Android equivalent to the iPad. About a month ago, I found out about NC's hidden capabilities. As a rabid Droid fan, I knew this was exactly what I was looking for, and at a darn good price, so I bought it. Following the great instructions on the NC Forum, I successfully rooted my NC and installed my favorite apps, resulting in what was basically a big-screen DroidX that didn't make calls. I was thrilled!

The bricking:
Fast-forward to the day we were leaving for our trip. On the shuttle to O'Hare, I used the NC to pass the time solving a Sudoku puzzle, then turned off the screen when we got to the airport. Once at the gate, I pressed the "n" button to wake it up and nothing happened. I tapped the power button, and nothing happened. I did a long-press of the power button - nothing. I plugged it in (even though I knew it was fully charged) and turned on the power - nothing. I decided to leave it plugged in a little while and try again, and I came back to find it had booted up to the "n" screen on its own. Excited, I tried to get it to do more, but it was stuck on the "n" screen. Despite numerous attempts, I got nowhere but frustrated. At our next layover, I worked on it again and realized it wouldn't even turn on without being plugged in. When plugged in, the "n" on the USB cord was a constant green, but if I held the power button in for 10 seconds, it would briefly turn orange. The NC would still not power on properly, regardless of what I did, instead it would sometimes turn itself on later as long as it was still plugged in, stopping on the "n" screen.

The revival attempts:
While overseas, I had a few opportunities to connect my Droid X to WiFi, so I spent what time I could pouring over the NC Forum looking for answers. I did not have my laptop with me, so my options were limited. I continued to fiddle with the NC, which still would only power on randomly and only while plugged in. At some point, I thought I had stumbled onto the solution because it booted to the Android screen. Hooray! Not so fast. Now it just paints the android-symbol-and-name screen over and over. Aargh! The NC will still not turn on unless plugged in, and I can't get it past the android screen loop.

What I need:
I guess the best thing for me is to get the NC back to its factory image and start over. If a re-rooting doesn't work properly after that, I'll revert it and try to exchange it since the micro USB port on the NC is touchy. I read the thread about uninstalling CWR and resetting to stock image, but I never got to the point of installing CWR. I did make a backup at some point (using ?? app), but I don't remember doing a stock backup before I did the root. (I'm not sure it was in the instruction set I followed. Or maybe I just don't remember doing it).

Many thanks in advance for reading all of this. I tried to be as thorough as I could, tho it looks like I wrote a bloomin' novel. Any and all suggestions and help are much appreciated.

melrowgo

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
@OP

Left out all the important info
-What operating system, rom, or b&n software are you running?
-How did you root?
-Any recently installed apps?
-Installed any Clockworkmod recovery version?
-Did you by chance leave your rooted SD card in the Nook Color?

melrowgo

Sep 22, 2010
@OP

Left out all the important info
1-What operating system, rom, or b&n software are you running?
2-How did you root?
3-Any recently installed apps?
4-Installed any Clockworkmod recovery version?
5-Did you by chance leave your rooted SD card in the Nook Color?

Sorry for leaving out all the important info. As a noob, I didn't know.
1. Upgraded to 1.1.0 before rooting
2. Autonooter for 1.1.0
3. No apps installed for at least a day or two before the bricking
4. No (as mentioned in my post)
5. Yes, it was still in there. Took it out and rebooted, but got the same loop. The good news is the NC turned on w/o being plugged in...

Last edited:

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Leaving the rooting SD card sounds like it hosed your install.

The remove CWR and revert thread in my sig is more than just removing CWR...it will take you back to a stock state, whether you have CWR installed or not. Just follow the steps in Post #1 and you will be running in like 15 minutes (probably less)

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
@melrowgo

No need to apologize, I can be a little direct at times. Giving the as much info what was done, apps installed, rooting method, etc. helps us help you better.

As darmeen and others have said, leaving in the rooted image written sd card in your NC after the process is compete is a big no no. If left in, the NC will try to re-root itself over and over again, messing up the boot and other internal files.

melrowgo

Sep 22, 2010
Okay, after an issue with my mSD card, I've successfully brought my NC back to 1.0.1, thanks to @dareem's post. After updating it to the latest version on BN.com, which set of boot instructions do you guys suggest I use, as I know there are several out there. As I mentioned before, I had not gotten to the point of installing CWT by the time I had to leave on my trip, but it seems that this is a critical step in the root process. I was successful with Autonooter, but I'm open to using other software/instructions if a case can be made for them.

Many thanks again to all for the suggestions getting me to this point.

melrowgo

Sep 22, 2010
I plan to follow @avi's post to root with Autonooter. It cautions re a problem with AN3, which is what I used before. Is this still an issue? Also, step 2 talks about a "complete wipe". Did following @dareem's instructions with CWT already do that?

@darmeen: my apologies for not spelling your name right in these posts!

Last edited:

melrowgo

Sep 22, 2010
Update: rooted using AN3; flashed CWT and was able to do the backup. Unfortunately, when I executed the "Reboot system now" step, it just rebooted back into CWT. I cannot get to the home screen to check that my backup files are there. I even temporarily removed the mSD card in case that was the problem, but it still is booting to CWT.

Another question: why update the kernel, and how do I know which OS version to use?

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
The reboot into CWR is the issue that was mentioned in avi's thread.

Use Post #3 HERE to strip CWR and allow for proper boot up.

When you have rebooted normally, you can go back into ROM Manager and re-flash CWR.