Rooted Nook trouble with marketplace

cgtn

Mar 8, 2011
I rooted my color nook a few days ago. Everything seemed to work fine. I downloaded some apps and they work. Today when I tried to go into marketplace, i got a screen saying "a network error has occured. retry or cancel and return to previous screen. I can not get it to load. Any ideas?

jinnijinn

Jan 31, 2011
I got that error once; it turned out my wi-fi had dropped. Once I had wi-fi again, I could get to the market with no errors.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
You could install "advanced Wifi lock", it 's going to keep your nook connected. I just got it, it's great.

darmeen

Jan 8, 2011
Keep in mind that wifi lock will also drain your battery a little faster, as it is always running even though your screen may be off.

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
wifi was my suggestion, that error means it can't connect at all.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
:(I rooted so I can have all these great apps but the apps drain my battery and I like my battery charge to last the longest , so what'snext for me, besides keep getting rid of everything I like after a couple of uses.?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
:(I rooted so I can have all these great apps but the apps drain my battery and I like my battery charge to last the longest , so what'snext for me, besides keep getting rid of everything I like after a couple of uses.?

Sounds like what's next for you is a second Nook :) That way you can set one to be long lasting and you can set the other up to run the fancy live wallpapers and widgets and other fun stuff that hogs battery life ;)

avi

Staff member
Jan 27, 2011
Get Nook first gen :)

and you can get good serious battery back up on current rooted NC with Set CPU profiles. Give'em a try :)

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
Avi,I installed already setCPU. I think I did it right.followed Rico's instructions but I can get 7 hours on my battery if I erase everything or 5 with all the things I like running in my nook.I've been thinking to overclock it,because the guys who did it are talking about double battery life.I'm going to start reading how to do it., my nook is 1.0.1...what do I have to read to get ready... the easiest way if there is a such....,don't look at my level, I got there because idontknow anything therefore I ask lots of questions causing me to post a lot.
Gloria

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Gloria, follow this guide by rico for overclocking http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...m-manager-nandroid-backup-custom-kernels.html. While it might help your battery life some I wouldn't expect it to double. It really comes down to how you are using it. 5 to 7 hours seems a little on the low side unless you are constantly watching videos and such or running lots of those fun widgets and live wall papers.

Try turning down the screen brightness to the lowest level you can. This will help battery life a lot. I usually run mine at 10% brightness and you get use to the lower brightness very quickly. Now anything more seems blinding unless I am outdoors and then I crank it up and can read it just fine even in sunlight.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I uninstalled everything I was trying.like 6 different browsers, I still like dolphin the best, so I keep that. Do they stop using up my battery once I go on the market and uninstall them?
Hope so...I have to remember to keep the screen light down, u r right.
I saw on your screenshot your setCPU says-max 1100- my max is 600 right now, any reason? So I'm going to start reading the link u gave me and cleaning up as well and then I'll decide. Thank you for now
Gloria

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Once you have unistalled apps they won't be able to use any battery. After you have followed the thread and installed CWM/CWR you will be able to "flash" custom kernels that give you the option to speed up your processor.

By default the Nook has 3 frequencies it runs at depending on it's performance needs 300MHz, 600MHz and 800Mhz. With the custom kernels you have the option to go up to 1100MHz for extra speedy performance. This is also covered inthe link under the section called "Flashing a new kernel using ClockworkMod Recovery".

In part 2 of Rico's tutorial he touches on how to set your power saving profiles which you can check out here http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/5119-setcpu-settings-nookcolor.html. SetCPU can definitley help you get better battery life if that is your primary concern.

My SetCPU says 1100 max because I had the 1100MHz kernel installed. I like a balance of battery life and performance though so I adjusted SetCPU to only speed up the processor if needed. Tracking the performace showed that I was spending most of the time at 600MHz, the second most time at 300MHz and then an equal amount of time at 800MHz, 1000MHz and 1100MHz. This allowed for good battery life and good speed.

Let me know if you need any help with SetCPU profiles and we/I can help you in that thread.

Last edited:

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
With SetCPU Ifollowed Rico's suggestions but I'm going to double check the profiles and let you know, thank you J....P

rico2001

Dec 8, 2010
Too many off topic posts here. You all may want to start a new thread to continue your discussion.