Rooted ok, but how do I get Kindle to see the sdcard

EAM

Mar 9, 2011
Hi,

I have successfully rooted my coby 7015, backed up my device to the sd card with clockworkmod, used the terminal emulator (looks a lot like my linux), got on the Google market, installed Kindle and have books for Kindle and Aldiko so I've been having fun. I have a 4 gig sdcard too. My question is how do I get to store my books on the sdcard and have Kindle look there (Aldiko too)? When does the sdcard get used? My backup from clockworkmod is there but that's about it. I'm going to want to put and play movies from there too but I want to make sure I can use it before I even install a player. Thanks

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
they should just look there automatically did they work when you werent rooted?

EAM

Mar 9, 2011
I didn't have the kindle app until I rooted and installed the google market. Will it look on the sd card if I place the azw file there? Does it need to be a specific named directory? Thanks

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
I use the ebooks directory to store books on my SD card. Try that. Also I would suggest sideloading the new Kindle 2.0 app.

EAM

Mar 9, 2011
I've got Kindle to see the sdcard, although it's not recognizing any azw file that is in there, only what gets downloaded there from Amazon by syncing. I'm not planning on getting too many Amazon books though so I'm more concerned with the trouble I'm having with Aldiko. It seems to only recognize nand as the sdcard. I have found that I can import epub books from the sdcard but it places them in the nand/eBooks folder. How do I get it to see the sdcard instead of the nand? Can I rename the sdcard to nand and get rid of the nand (I didn't try it yet, that's just an idea). I installed the free version of Aldiko 2 from Google market thinking that might help. At least I can now find and import the epub books now but I still can't figure out how to get them read from the sdcard (and I have to go to my real job now).

Ok, maybe renaming the sdcard to nand and nand to something else is a bad idea. I'm reading that the Aldiko really can't read the sdcard so maybe I need a better ereader that can read epub and pdf would be nice off of the sdcard, not nand. I need a mp3 and mp4 player that will read from the sd card too. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

probbiethe1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 30, 2010
have you downloaded a book from aldiko directly yet? because what that should do is make a new folder on your sdcard that you can place your other books in if not, then search for a different reader. but dont rename the nand folder

EAM

Mar 9, 2011
Yeah, that renaming idea is probaby a very bad idea! I downloaded Adobe Reader and using Linda File Manager, I associated my pdf files, which I'm keeping in a my_books folder on sdcard, with Adobe Reader. Great, pdf covered. I can also do that with Aldiko for epub but the load is slightly slower. I can live with that. For some reason though, when I try to open an azw file with Linda File Manager, Kindle does not come up on the list?? Hmm... I have an inherent dislike for that Kindle philosophy, but it seems Google wants you to sign over your first born son too... Ok enough of my rant, but thanks. I'm working my way around this and I really do have to get back to work :)

Fuganater

Staff member
Feb 8, 2011
I've got Kindle to see the sdcard, although it's not recognizing any azw file that is in there, only what gets downloaded there from Amazon by syncing. I'm not planning on getting too many Amazon books though so I'm more concerned with the trouble I'm having with Aldiko. It seems to only recognize nand as the sdcard. I have found that I can import epub books from the sdcard but it places them in the nand/eBooks folder. How do I get it to see the sdcard instead of the nand? Can I rename the sdcard to nand and get rid of the nand (I didn't try it yet, that's just an idea). I installed the free version of Aldiko 2 from Google market thinking that might help. At least I can now find and import the epub books now but I still can't figure out how to get them read from the sdcard (and I have to go to my real job now).

Ok, maybe renaming the sdcard to nand and nand to something else is a bad idea. I'm reading that the Aldiko really can't read the sdcard so maybe I need a better ereader that can read epub and pdf would be nice off of the sdcard, not nand. I need a mp3 and mp4 player that will read from the sd card too. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure you are using Aldiko correctly. Now the app might be different per device but I am using Aldiko v 2.0 but I hit the HOME button in the top left corner, then go to SD card, then i hit the Arrow in the top right corner under the Cart, next I hit the sdcard2 and voila, there are my files on my MicroSD card. Let me know if it is different for you. I would like to know if the 2.0 version differs between devices.

EAM

Mar 9, 2011
Yes, I see that I can see the books under my sdcard folder by doing that and I can import them from there, but the import brings them over to the nand folder. Alternatively, I can just open them from there without the import. Doesn't let me see them all nice and lined up pretty in the library though! I also downloaded cool reader which doesn't have that cute interface, just takes you to the recent, sd card and internal memory card, where you can open your books yourself. The good news is that I made a my_music and my_video folder on the sd card and the stock music player find the music fine, and I downloaded video player and that sees the videos in the my_video folder fine too. Thanks for all of your replies!