Rooting Iconia A1-810?

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
Hello:

I ordered a Iconia A1-810 Tablet and should be getting it in a couple of days. :cool:

And I was wondering how I could go about rooting it easily so that I can remove any possible Bloatware that there maybe.
And so it will allow me to be able to run a screenshot program.

I had a Lenovo A2109A that I had gotten rooted with using the Usb Drivers for it on my PC and MotoChopper.
I have the Usb Drivers for my PC for the A1-810 so that's taken care of.

I had my Lenovo rooted to the extent that it thought I had root privileges but there was no way that I could mess up the OEM ROM in anyway.
I don't want to Flash the ROM with a Custom one, I just want to be able to run my ScreenShot program and a few other Minor Things.
On my Lenovo I also had Tweaked the Tegra 3 in it a bit.
But I don't want to try to OC my A1-810 in anyway.

If I have to I can try the regular rooting procedure if someone could be so kind as to send me in the right direction{s} for the instructions on how to do it.

Any help I'd be most Grateful: Ricky :D

lokester

Dec 22, 2013
Am in similar situation as you. New to tablets but have had my A1-810 for about 1 month. Been reading up on "Rooting" and think I am about ready to give it a go. Based upon reading in other forum threads (including this forum), have downloaded the Acer Iconia Toolkit v0.8.1 and also have downloaded a system image for my device that has the required "system R/W workarounds" already installed. Was about ready to pull the trigger, but from additional reading, the most current post on 12-5-2013 leads me to believe the the most current version of Toolkit v0.8.1 can root my device without the need for a modified system.img file with the R/W workaround? That is, if I read the posts correctly, the most current version of the Toolkit can Root our A1-810 devices AND perform the required R/W workarounds without loading someone elses image to your device. I guess this means we will be "Rooting From Scratch" using the Toolkit?

Going to keep reading, but I believe we are close. Will let you know how it works out. If I am going off the deep end, someone please pull me back in.

Gotta luv these user forums. So much knowledge to draw from.

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
Am in similar situation as you. New to tablets but have had my A1-810 for about 1 month. Been reading up on "Rooting" and think I am about ready to give it a go. Based upon reading in other forum threads (including this forum), have downloaded the Acer Iconia Toolkit v0.8.1 and also have downloaded a system image for my device that has the required "system R/W workarounds" already installed. Was about ready to pull the trigger, but from additional reading, the most current post on 12-5-2013 leads me to believe the the most current version of Toolkit v0.8.1 can root my device without the need for a modified system.img file with the R/W workaround? That is, if I read the posts correctly, the most current version of the Toolkit can Root our A1-810 devices AND perform the required R/W workarounds without loading someone elses image to your device. I guess this means we will be "Rooting From Scratch" using the Toolkit?

Going to keep reading, but I believe we are close. Will let you know how it works out. If I am going off the deep end, someone please pull me back in.

Sounds something like what I had on my Lenovo A2109A it was a kit that I used after installing my devices Usb drivers on my desktop.
I had to go in and hook my tablet to my desktop, Activate the usb debugging tools on my tablet then use motochopper, But I also had to have the ClockWork Mod installed from Google Play to root the tablet, "WITHOUT" putting on a custom image.
That way you had a safety net so to speak if you borked the tablet you could always do a Hard Factory Reset with no harm done.

That allowed me to tweak my Tegra 3 chip, Uninstall all the factory installed bloatware etc.
There is alot of stuff I've disabled on the A1-810 that hasn't effected it one bit, that could safely be removed from the tablet to save a few mb of space at least 100mb if not more.
Thank You for your input and let me know how it goes.
With Instructions on how you did it.... :rolleyes:

"UPDATE" -----"WARNING WILL ROBISON WARNING DANGER WARNING" :rolleyes:
Do Not I REPEAT "DO NOT" Attempt this.

I followed all the directions on the Developer's Forum download the ToolKit, the Proper Image etc, etc.
AND I Borked my A1-810, And now it's caught in a Boot Loop.

With the only way to fix it is to send it BACK INTO ACER to be re-imaged.

Not a biggie since the tablet is only 3 weeks old it's under warranty.
BUT SAVE YOURSELF the HEADACHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

I HATE to Admit DEFEAT but I Admit it.

If anyone tries this and Fails "REMEMBER" >>>>>>>YOU'VE BEEN WARNED<<<<<<<< :eek: :rolleyes: :p

Last edited:

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012

OK Bad News at least for me.

I went and downloaded the toolkit, read on how to do it, so simple even I could do it.
SO: After I started the toolkit it said Usb Debugging must be enabled in Devolopers/Settings in order to run the tool.
Which is what I figured from running this type of program on my Lenovo, That being said THERE IS NO Devolopers Tools to be found under settings, Let alone Usb Debugging? :mad:

That being said there is no way of rooting our A1-810?
Unless we can find another way around this?

The only thing I can figure is Acer in it's infinite wisdom must have decided to disable this feature.... :mad: :mad: :mad:
PLEASE let me know if you do and I will do the same.

Thanks again: Ricky

lokester

Dec 22, 2013
Yes, you have to put your A1-810 in "developer mode" first. I found this small bit of info on another post. Basically:
1. Go to "Settings"
2. Then to "About Tablet"
3. Scroll down to "Build Number" and tap the Build Number line 7 times. (or maybe 8, you will see a countdown)
4. That puts your tab in developer mode, enables a new line of options, one of which is being able to enable "USB Debugging".

Hopefully, you can get your tab out of its boot loop and try it again. Let me know how you come out.

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
Yes, you have to put your A1-810 in "developer mode" first. I found this small bit of info on another post. Basically:
1. Go to "Settings"
2. Then to "About Tablet"
3. Scroll down to "Build Number" and tap the Build Number line 7 times. (or maybe 8, you will see a countdown)
4. That puts your tab in developer mode, enables a new line of options, one of which is being able to enable "USB Debugging".

Hopefully, you can get your tab out of its boot loop and try it again. Let me know how you come out.

Thanks for the input am most Grateful.
I found that out last night in the Acer Community Website.

As far as getting it ou of boot loop I had to send it back into Acer to be re imaged....
I tried everything as you can tell, I let it boot for an hour at least to see if it would come out of it, Even after 3 Hard ReSets, It still did the samething.
It at least would come up to the Welcome Screen the shut off and reboot.

It makes no since, Because the ReStore Img isn't supposed to get fouled up with the BootLoader being locked???? :confused:

Then if something would get fouled up all you would have to do is a factory reset, And then you'd be good to go again.
But I take it that was/is not the case here.

As for trying it again?
I doubt it, I don't have $20 to drop every other day to ship it back to Acer.

But if you decide to try it "JUST BECAREFUL"!!!
And PLEASE keep me posted on how it goes for you.
And if you do succeed Let me know with step by step directions on how to do it.....

Thanks Again: Ricky:confused:

lokester

Dec 22, 2013
Been working at this for several days now, and finally figured it out. The problem is NOT with the IconiaToolkit as that WORKS as advertised (on a Linux system that is). My problems over the past several days have been to get a properly installed and configured Linux system to recognize my tablet. This morning, I started from stratch for the 3rd time and simplicity got it right.

1> Installed a new "32 bit version" of LUBUNTU 13 downloaded from their website. (I tried 64 bit installs of Ubuntu 12 and then 13 and while they would see the tablet's file storage, could not get the Toolkit to connect). I went with Lubuntu 13 because it was the "lite" version. The key I have read is going with the 32 bit version.

2> Open up a UXTERM (terminal window similar to a DOS command window in Windows) and install a couple of required packages for the Android by giving the following commands:
sudo su
sudo apt-get install android-tools-fastboot android-tools-adb

3> Now create a new folder in the /bin folder called IconiaToolkit with this command: sudo mkdir /bin/IconiaToolkit
4> Now make sure you have access rights to this new folder with command: sudo chown user:user /bin/IconiaToolkit
in the line above, replace the "user:user" with whatever user name you set up for yourself when you installed Lubuntu (ie: bob:bob)
5> Now open up internet browser in Lubuntu and download the IconiaToolkit v0.8.1
6> In Lubuntu, open FileManager PCManFM and double click on the Downloads folder, then right click on the IconiaToolkit.zip icon and say "Extract to" and specify /bin/IconiaToolkit as the destination folder.
7> Now back in your Xterm window, go to the toolkit directory with the command: cd /bin/IconiaToolkit
8> Verify you are there with the command: ls (you should see a file called toolkit.sh among other files.
9> Now per instructions of the toolkits README file, enter the command: chmod +x toolkit.sh <enter> followed by the command: ./toolkit.sh <enter>

you should now see the menu for the rooting script.

I selected Option 2 for my A1-810 device followed by Option 1 - Root and then Option 1 again, ROOT FROM SCRATCH.

Takes about 12 to 15 minutes - but was super easy once I got the correct Linux environment set up.

All of the credit goes to Eton Jackson for his script and all of the other folks who contribute information to these forums. MANY THANKS to ALL.

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
Been working at this for several days now, and finally figured it out. The problem is NOT with the IconiaToolkit as that WORKS as advertised (on a Linux system that is). My problems over the past several days have been to get a properly installed and configured Linux system to recognize my tablet. This morning, I started from stratch for the 3rd time and simplicity got it right.

1> Installed a new "32 bit version" of LUBUNTU 13 downloaded from their website. (I tried 64 bit installs of Ubuntu 12 and then 13 and while they would see the tablet's file storage, could not get the Toolkit to connect). I went with Lubuntu 13 because it was the "lite" version. The key I have read is going with the 32 bit version.

2> Open up a UXTERM (terminal window similar to a DOS command window in Windows) and install a couple of required packages for the Android by giving the following commands:
sudo su

3> Now create a new folder in the /bin folder called IconiaToolkit with this command: sudo mkdir /bin/IconiaToolkit
4> Now make sure you have access rights to this new folder with command: sudo chown user:user /bin/IconiaToolkit
in the line above, replace the "user:user" with whatever user name you set up for yourself when you installed Lubuntu (ie: bob:bob)
5> Now open up internet browser in Lubuntu and download the IconiaToolkit v0.8.1
6> In Lubuntu, open FileManager PCManFM and double click on the Downloads folder, then right click on the IconiaToolkit.zip icon and say "Extract to" and specify /bin/IconiaToolkit as the destination folder.
7> Now back in your Xterm window, go to the toolkit directory with the command: cd /bin/IconiaToolkit
8> Verify you are there with the command: ls (you should see a file called toolkit.sh among other files.
9> Now per instructions of the toolkits README file, enter the command: chmod +x toolkit.sh <enter> followed by the command: ./toolkit.sh <enter>

I selected Option 2 for my A1-810 device followed by Option 1 - Root and then Option 1 again, ROOT FROM SCRATCH.

Takes about 12 to 15 minutes - but was super easy once I got the correct Linux environment set up.

All of the credit goes to Eton Jackson for his script and all of the other folks who contribute information to these forums. MANY THANKS to ALL.

GREAT NEWS Congrats: ;)

I was doing mine in Windows 8 Pro 64bit.
The Tool Kit worked just fine as you said, My Desktop seen the tablets hard drive.
The in the instructions it said that you needed to put a folder that was to be downloaded into a folder in in the ToolKit's extracted file.
The first time I decided to try it with that folder empty, It ran through the process flawless, But when I checked after reboot it wasn't rooted.

So I tried putting in the file that was downloaded WHICH I made triple sure was the right file for my tablet.
In the folder it was to go in inside the extracted ToolKit folder.
Went through the process, this time it says rooted successfully.
I rebooted the tablet and that's when it started it's boot loop? :confused:

I know Acer Tablets are different animals then Lenovo's but, I used this same OS on my Lenovo when I rooted it without any problems whatsoever?
And the two can't be all that different...

In any event once again I am happy you got yours up and going the way you like it.
Acer just got my A1-810 at their repair depot today hopefully I'll have it back later on this week.

Thanks Again: Ricky

Jan 13, 2014
GREAT NEWS Congrats: ;)
So I tried putting in the file that was downloaded WHICH I made triple sure was the right file for my tablet.
In the folder it was to go in inside the extracted ToolKit folder.
Thanks Again: Ricky

How did you make sure it was the right file for YOUR tablet? and where did you download from?

Albert77

Jan 25, 2014

sudo su

I did everything like you said but after about 5minutes i get just "fail" every time????
Is there some kind of writeprotector in some iconias?

Got it done :) Had to factory reset first. Thanks.

Attachments

• $P1250330.JPG
    $P1250330.JPG
    893.4 KB · Views: 1,602
  • $P1250331.JPG
    $P1250331.JPG
    808.2 KB · Views: 1,787
  • $P1250332.JPG
    $P1250332.JPG
    669.3 KB · Views: 1,627
Last edited:

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012

sudo su

HEY ALL GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!

I finally got my A1-810 rooted.

I booted it up tonight and it came up Google.media has stopped?
This was the same message that I got when it started to bootloop the last time.
It was 3wks out of the box, and approx 3wks back from Acer and it started again.

So I said SCREW This I'm taking a chance and ditching the stock image while I can.
SO I followed the xda forums instructions and HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!
It's ROOTED!!!!!! :eek:
I had been studying up on this every since it happened the first time JUST IN CASE!!!!

Although I must say I used the Windows method and used Win 8 Pro x64 to do it.
It only took me about 5-10 mins and as simple as Apple Pie.

To Acer I say >>> :p <<< Goodbye BLOATWARE!!!!! :cool:

Last edited:

WasteLandSavage

Dec 3, 2012
OK everyone:

Since I have finally gotten my A1-810 successfully rooted. :cool:

I though I would post the links here that I used to accomplish this wondrous feat.

[ToolKit] Acer Iconia v0.8.1 ***New: Supporting A3-A10 / New: Pull system.img.gz*** - xda-developers

As well as some of the Apps that I have removed from the rooted Image as well.
These are safe as I have ran them disabled for approx 3wks without any problems.
There maybe more but these are the ones that I don't use anyways, Your case maybe different.
IF There are anymore that you know of that can be SAFELY removed post them here I {or} others maybe interested.

First Install SuperSU > Root Checker Basic > Root App Delete.

7 Digital
Acer Cloud
Amazon Store
Amazon Mp3
Kindle Reader
Chrome
Currents
Demo Video
Ebay
Wild Tangent Games
Google Pinyin
Google Play Books
Google Play Mags
Google Play Movies & TV
HangOuts
Hulu Plus
7 Key Info
Acer Life Image
McAfee
Movie Studio
NetFlix
Tune In Radio
Zinio

Hope you enjoy.
And once again Thanks to all those that have given me as well as others the ability to root or Tablets.
I am most GRATEFUL: Ricky :)

andrewbat

Mar 4, 2014

sudo su

Absolutely perfect instructions...

Made it easy and I have NEVER used Linux before....

T H A N K Y O U

daikyozin

Nov 22, 2012
Hello and thank you all, I successfully rooted my A1-810 using the windows method. I'm not sure what, but something I read on this forum helped connect the dots in my head so I could understand how to do the whole procedure.
Here is a tip from me: after you enable USB debugging, set the display so it doesn't go to sleep. The rooting procedure will be interrupted if the display goes to sleep. I was lucky, I was able to get it to resume when this happened to me.
Also, I did have to do the factory data reset before it would work.
So thanks!

Last edited: