Rooting the 7022 and wifi tethering

BILL88STANG

Sep 15, 2011
Just looking for the easiest way to root this there seems to be various ways of doing this, just want the easiest and safest way so I can get this to tether to my huawei ascend on cm7. Can anyone give me somr quick info to root then what to modify in root explorer to allow the tablet to see my phone as a hot spot thanks!

Sent from my M860 using Android Tablet Forum

BILL88STANG

Sep 15, 2011
Can someone point out where i can download the clockwork mod recovery thatis correct for this? I found the dump recovery already but dont think i found the right cwm one thanks

BILL88STANG

Sep 15, 2011
yes i did i didnt see anywhere in there where to download teh recovery zip unless i completely missed it, also i canot moved teh donloaded dump file that ive renamed to update zip to the root folder , it says it cannot be moved. does i thave to be moved? right now its just in the download folder.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
I think "move" means get it out of your SD, using USB, for instance (it´s a backup, right?).

You should ask in that thread for the file, I guess. I can´t help much since I own a MID1024.

jpauley

Jul 24, 2011
Just looking for the easiest way to root this there seems to be various ways of doing this, just want the easiest and safest way so I can get this to tether to my huawei ascend on cm7. Can anyone give me somr quick info to root then what to modify in root explorer to allow the tablet to see my phone as a hot spot thanks!

Sent from my M860 using Android Tablet Forum

Here is how I completed the rooting:
  1. Make sure you have a micro SD card installed in the microSD slot of you tablet.

Download dump-recovery-signed.zip from http://androtab.info/files/telechips/dump-recovery/dump-recovery-signed.zip and KYROS7022-8K-recovery-signed.zip from http://androtab.info/files/telechips/cm7/20110821/KYROS7022-8K/KYROS7022-8K-recovery-signed.zip and su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip from Superuser to your home PC
  2. Connect your tablet to you home pc using the cable that came with your tablet and select “Turn on USB storage”
  3. You will now have 2 new removable disks on your home pc. The external SD card is the higher one.
  4. Copy dump-recovery-signed.zip as update.zip to the external SD card
  5. Select “Turn off USB storage” on your tablet and disconnect the usb cable
  6. On your tablet go to settings/About device/System updates/Install system update and select from SD card àStock recovery will be dumped as dumped_recovery.img and /proc/mtd will be copied as dumped_proc_mtd.txt on top(root) of SD card. Keep them in safe place.
  7. Once your tablet has completed the steps above Connect your tablet to you home pc using the cable that came with your tablet and select “Turn on USB storage” again.
  8. Copy KYROS7022-8K-recovery-signed.zip as update.zip and su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip to the external SD card
  9. Select “Turn off USB storage” on your tablet and disconnect the usb cable
  10. On your tablet go to settings/About device/System updates/Install system update and select from SD card.
  11. Once your tablet has completed the steps above you will now have clockwork Mod Recovery 4
  12. We will now create a backup of your existing tablet and install super user.
  13. Boot into Clockwork Mod Recovery 4 by doing the following:
  14. Power off you tablet
  15. Hold the silver back button and the power button until you see the clockwork mod recover message.
The keys are used as follows Menu=move, Home=select and back=back
  1. Use the move key to go down to backup and restore and press home
  2. Press Home to complete your backup, this will take a few minutes.
  3. Press menu to go down to Install zip from SD card and then press Home
  4. Press home on “choose zip from sdcard”
  5. Press menu until you select su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip and press home
  6. On the main menu press home on reboot system now
  7. You now have super user and it gives you a root access

jpauley

Jul 24, 2011
CONT.

Wifi tether piece:

Turn off wifi on your tablet.

You will need to download Terminal emulator from the Market.

Open terminal emulator and type SU and press enter, select allow for super user.

you may have to kill termianl emulator using ES Task Manager as the kayboard will not come up.

Open termianl emulator again
type the following:
su
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /data
chmod 777 /data
chmod 777 /data/misc
chmod 777 /data/misc/wifi
chmod 777 /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf
exit

you will now have access to the file wpa_supplicant.conf file

Use ES File Explorer to create a new folder on your external SD card called WIFIBACKUP and WIFICHANGE

copy data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf to your WIFIBACKUP and WIFICHANGE folders

in the WIFICHANGE folder, long press the wpa_supplicant.conf file and select open as text and then use ES Note editor

The changes to the wpa_supplicant file should look something like below:

I use WEP when connecting to my phone so here is what my file looks like

ctrl_interface=DIR=/data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant GROUP=wifi
update_config=1
ap_scan=2
network={
ssid="YOUR DROID DEVICE SSID"
key_mgmt=NONE
wep_tx_keyidx=0
wep_key0="your wep key defined on your droid"
mode=1

priority=1
}
network={
ssid="your home SSID"
psk="your preshared key"
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
priority=2
}

make sure there are no empty spaces behind any of the lines above.

save the changes to you file

use ES File eplorer to copy you file you just modified in the WIFICHANGE folder to data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf

turn on wifi on your tablet. If you get an error, then there is something wrong in your wpa_supplicant.conf.

Remember you have a backup file in your WIFIBACKUP folder and it can be copied in at any time.

if you reboot your device, you will have to do the wifi portion aver again.

Hope this helps you.

BILL88STANG

Sep 15, 2011
Here is how I completed the rooting:
  1. Make sure you have a micro SD card installed in the microSD slot of you tablet.

Download dump-recovery-signed.zip from http://androtab.info/files/telechips/dump-recovery/dump-recovery-signed.zip and KYROS7022-8K-recovery-signed.zip from http://androtab.info/files/telechips/cm7/20110821/KYROS7022-8K/KYROS7022-8K-recovery-signed.zip and su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip from Superuser to your home PC
  2. Connect your tablet to you home pc using the cable that came with your tablet and select “Turn on USB storage”
  3. You will now have 2 new removable disks on your home pc. The external SD card is the higher one.
  4. Copy dump-recovery-signed.zip as update.zip to the external SD card
  5. Select “Turn off USB storage” on your tablet and disconnect the usb cable
  6. On your tablet go to settings/About device/System updates/Install system update and select from SD card àStock recovery will be dumped as dumped_recovery.img and /proc/mtd will be copied as dumped_proc_mtd.txt on top(root) of SD card. Keep them in safe place.
  7. Once your tablet has completed the steps above Connect your tablet to you home pc using the cable that came with your tablet and select “Turn on USB storage” again.
  8. Copy KYROS7022-8K-recovery-signed.zip as update.zip and su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip to the external SD card
  9. Select “Turn off USB storage” on your tablet and disconnect the usb cable
  10. On your tablet go to settings/About device/System updates/Install system update and select from SD card.
  11. Once your tablet has completed the steps above you will now have clockwork Mod Recovery 4
  12. We will now create a backup of your existing tablet and install super user.
  13. Boot into Clockwork Mod Recovery 4 by doing the following:
  14. Power off you tablet
  15. Hold the silver back button and the power button until you see the clockwork mod recover message.
The keys are used as follows Menu=move, Home=select and back=back
  1. Use the move key to go down to backup and restore and press home
  2. Press Home to complete your backup, this will take a few minutes.
  3. Press menu to go down to Install zip from SD card and then press Home
  4. Press home on “choose zip from sdcard”
  5. Press menu until you select su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip and press home
  6. On the main menu press home on reboot system now
  7. You now have super user and it gives you a root access
[/QUOi dont have a sd card for it, can i do it another way thats easy?

BILL88STANG

Sep 15, 2011
maybe thats why i was so confused with the term put the update zip over the root of the sd card, i wasnt sure if they were talking about the internal sd card or a external one

trickbiker121

Jul 18, 2011
maybe thats why i was so confused with the term put the update zip over the root of the sd card, i wasnt sure if they were talking about the internal sd card or a external one
Yea it gets confusing when some one means sdcard or SD Card. What I do is if I mean internal sdcard I will write"sdcard folder" for external SD Card I either write "Tflash folder" or "SD Card" with capital SD and a space in between. I had that same confusion when I first got this tablet.

jpauley

Jul 24, 2011

It is confusing and is why I put external SD card in the instructions, hope they make sense to you now.

BILL88STANG

Sep 15, 2011
ok thanks it worked, now when i get a chance ill have to try to play with these wifi settings

Last edited:

BILL88STANG

Sep 15, 2011
ok after all this and installing super used zip from sd card in clock work mod i am still not rooted. never mind i see i accidentally flashed wron zip for superuser, its fixed now and it all working

Last edited: