Rooting your 1.2-4349 tap-n-tap Gtab

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
Apparently Viewsonic has alot of trust in the owners of the Gtab. I downloaded z4root and installed (no need to check "unknown sources"). Run z4root and let it reboot. root achieved. Wow, that was easy. Works on stock firmware. Not really needed seeing that everyone ROMs right away.

*EDIT* To make life a lot easier, get root and market here: SUandMarket.zip
This is a .zip file to add SuperUser and functioning Android Market to your STOCK 1.2 bl (only) firmware....
Confirmed by yours truly (Sharpe351) on 4343, 4950, and 5274 ROM. Did NO market workaround to make it work. I flashed the zip in CWM and rebooted. No need to fix permissions, data wipe, etc.

Sidenote: I also cannot take credit for this hack. I didn't build the proper files. It was given to me by Adelamarc (spelling?) and I'm not sure where he found it. It works great for those of you that like the stock TnT ROM and want root and Market.
*edit* found it... r34p3rex (had to write that down) is the one to come up with it first. Credit goes to him.

Last edited:

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Another one of the reasons the Gtab is such a great value

Sent from my Xoom using Android Tablet Forum

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
I also need to add... You must go in and clear cache and reset (in recovery) before restarting. For some reason, after I rooted I had to clear cache and reset because I got stuck in boot loop. :/
BTW I opened the box 2 hours ago, and just finished flashing CM7Tab.

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
Ok guys, I know what those of you that read this are thinking.... "why would you do that?" The answer is, just because. I wanted to know if you could do it, and, you can.

sent from my CM7 Gtablet using Tapatalk

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Mike, since this is a "family forum" I'll tell the joke the "family forum" way.

Why does a cat "clean" himself?

Because he can.

Thanks for posting the rooting tip!

-Matt

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
Mike, since this is a "family forum" I'll tell the joke the "family forum" way.

Why does a cat "clean" himself?

Because he can.

Thanks for posting the rooting tip!

-Matt

You can also say the same about a dog. LOL.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
OK, I'm a mod...I can't let this thread digress any farther! Go over to slatedroid and whine about how you didn't manage to snag a Touchpad! :)

-Matt

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
Matt,
The stock nvflash 4349 1.2bl is NOT rooted. Just NV'd back to stock to flash in the HC ROM. Mainly because I screwed up an install. Did everything that was requested, except, starting from a base 4349 ROM. :mad: Should've known better. I will update soon.

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Matt,
The stock nvflash 4349 1.2bl is NOT rooted. Just NV'd back to stock to flash in the HC ROM. Mainly because I screwed up an install. Did everything that was requested, except, starting from a base 4349 ROM. :mad: Should've known better. I will update soon.
Two thoughts: first, I notice as I've nvflashed around (woops, does that have *another* meaning?) that I can get stuck in a boot loop on the stock ROM if I don't clear data BEFORE and AFTER flashing. So keep that in mind. On occasions where I forgot--if I noticed I'm seeing the TapNTap (or is it "N"?) screen for too long (e.g., 3 minutes...for gawd's sake don't wait an hour) I just shut off, and try to boot into recovery. Once into recovery (it sometimes takes a few tries) I just do a full data wipe and it usually works on the next reboot.

Second (did I hit on this yesterday?), keep in mind that the partition sizes can create a little bit of trouble with Flashback 7.2. If you see option 3 on the SD how-to, you might just skip right to it.

And hey, don't forget to post first impressions!

-Matt

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
Two thoughts: first, I notice as I've nvflashed around (woops, does that have *another* meaning?) that I can get stuck in a boot loop on the stock ROM if I don't clear data BEFORE and AFTER flashing. So keep that in mind. On occasions where I forgot--if I noticed I'm seeing the TapNTap (or is it "N"?) screen for too long (e.g., 3 minutes...for gawd's sake don't wait an hour) I just shut off, and try to boot into recovery. Once into recovery (it sometimes takes a few tries) I just do a full data wipe and it usually works on the next reboot.

Second (did I hit on this yesterday?), keep in mind that the partition sizes can create a little bit of trouble with Flashback 7.2. If you see option 3 on the SD how-to, you might just skip right to it.

And hey, don't forget to post first impressions!

-Matt

First impression.... WOW! It really is nice. So smooth. Need to work on the dang market :/ . I cannot install free apps. I think I may need the workaround. We'll see.

Sent from my Flashback 7.2 using Tapatalk

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Great! Now you can come play with the big boys. :)

Quick fix: if you haven't yet, clear out the data/cache for Market and what's the other one...Google Framework Services?... If not delete google account+reboot.

Also, remember that you'll need an sdcard in the slot to install some programs (move them to tablet after installing).

(Do you ever get tired/annoyed that I treat you like a noob?... :rolleyes: ...btw, you have to start a thread on your Supertab experience at some point!)

-Matt

sharpe351

Jul 2, 2011
Great! Now you can come play with the big boys. :)

Quick fix: if you haven't yet, clear out the data/cache for Market and what's the other one...Google Framework Services?... If not delete google account+reboot.

Also, remember that you'll need an sdcard in the slot to install some programs (move them to tablet after installing).

(Do you ever get tired/annoyed that I treat you like a noob?... :rolleyes: ...btw, you have to start a thread on your Supertab experience at some point!)

-Matt

I'm 36 years old. I get treated this way on all forums. Everyone seems to think I have DKS (don't know $hit). No offense taken.

I don't know about the Supertab thread... that would be better as a book, with chapters. lol.

I got the market straightened out. Just had to do the "fix" to reset the market.

I got a trick for anyone that doesn't know how to reset your Titanium backup to restore all your old apps....

1) You will need some sort of root file explorer because you need r/w priveleges.
2) Before flashing a new ROM, copy your Titanium Backup folder to your PC or SD external card.
3) Flash your new ROM, setup necessary details, etc.
4) Go to Market and download/install Titanium Backup (I use the free one, 'cause I'm cheap).
5) Go to your source for the Titanium Backup folder and reinstall it to your tablet.
5a) You can skip a step here if you access the internal SD card and just install the folder on top of (replace) the existing Titanium Backup folder.
6) If you have your backup on your external SD card, then, go to your file explorer of choice and mount r/w
7) find the Titanium Backup folder on your INTERNAL SD storage and DELETE it (keep mental note of this location, you will use it again).
8) locate the Titanium Backup folder on your EXTERNAL SD card and COPY the folder.
9) navigate to the location of the Titanium Backup folder you deleted in step 7 and install the copied folder there.
10) go to settings->applications->manage applications->tap the "all" tab. Find the Titanium Backup app and clear data.
11) exit all.... open the Titanium Backup and voila, you should have all your old apps for your restoring pleasure.

Last edited:

gadgetrants

Staff member
Sep 22, 2010
Yeah I know what you mean about DKS. :) FWIW I'm 44 and people call me "Mister" and "Sir" and I hate it. I want to get carded again when I buy alcohol. I want to speak lol-speak and not make people point and laugh at me. I want my 23-year-old body back. Where are my abs???

Excellent pointer dealing with reinstalling apps. I SWORE I'd buy the pro copy of TiB, but haven't done it yet. One question: why do you think it takes so long to reinstall?...it seems to lag between each app, as if it's taunting you, "If you'd bought the paid version, you could select 'reinstall all' and this would go much faster!" Is it just my imagination? It takes me an hour to reinstall 40 apps...

-Matt