[Rumor] Amazon Actually Negotiating with Google to Carry the Nexus 7 Tablet

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
Nexus7_05_Press.jpeg

I guess Amazon is even more committed to their retail roots and their core business than people might have guessed. According to sources quoted from Techradar, Amazon is negotiating with Google to carry the Nexus 7. Here's a quote,

An Amazon spokesperson told TechRadar: "People higher up in Amazon are talking to Google regarding the Nexus 7."

Is this a case of hedging your bets? It would be truly surprising if Amazon actually stocked their biggest rivals product. Still, if they do it will be good for Android, and they are first and foremost a retailer. It will be interesting to see if this turns out to be true. We will keep an eye on this and get back with you if something is confirmed.

Source: NexusTablets.net via Techradar

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I don't think this is too far fetched. Yes, Amazon would like to keep people locked into their ecosystem though Kindle but heck the Amazon Appstore is already widely available on many Android devices. Since it is a lot easier to put the Amazon Appstore on standard Android devices than it is to put the Play Store on a custom Android device (like Fire or Nook) I would argue that this potentially hurts Play Store more than Amazon. Amazon will presumably be able to sell more of these than Play Store and it gives them the opportunity to promote their own Appstore at the same time. Of course Google wins by getting out more Android devices tied into the Google ecosystem beyond Play Store (Gmail, maps, search, etc.) and serving more ads.

Win win.