[Rumor] Asus May Finally Launch a Budget-Friendly $100 Dollar Tablet

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
asus-me172v-exif.jpg

Earlier in the year we heard several rumors that either Asus or Google or both might eventually try to release a $99 dollar tablet. Another rumor has cropped up suggesting the same thing, but this one comes alongside a Picasa picture that was supposedly uploaded from this tablet. As you can see in the pic above, the model number, ME370T, of this unlaunched tablet matches the model number that was previously reported to be the sub-100 dollar tablet.

There is still no word whether this will be a Google Nexus device, or if Asus is simply launching their own separate budget tab to the masses. We are holding out hope that we will see this tablet announced at either CES or MWC early next year.

Update: According to a report at Android Authority, this new tablet now has a pre-order page on a Russian retailer's website with more pics and specs. Here's a quote and a link:

According to the web site of a Russian retail outfit called Oro 1, on which it is already available for pre-order, it belongs to the ME series of Asus tablet devices and rocks entry-level features such as an 800MHz processor, 1GB of RAM, a 7-inch 1024×600 TN-panel screen, a 1-megapixel front camera, and built-in Wi-Fi. It is priced at 6,990 rubles or about $225 USD.

Oro 1, through its ME172V tablet pre-order page, also notes that 3G connectivity won’t be available as a standard built-in feature. However, it mentions that a different tablet called the Asus ME371MG will have built-in 3G as well as a better screen and processor combination. So if you need to have always-on connectivity, then you better keep an eye out for that one. ~ Android Authority

Source: TransformerForums via Slashgear

Last edited:

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Is says $225 USD your title says $100 Dollar Tablet.

$225 is a lot more than $100