[Rumor] Samsung and Google Planning Android Laptops with Android 5.0/Key Lime Pie

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
key-lime-pie-cartoon.jpg

We are calling this one a rumor for now, but there are some distinct signs that Samsung and Google are planning to out an Android based laptop using Google's Android 5.0/Key Lime Pie. According to industry expert Mingchi Kuo of KGI Securities, Android 5.0 will be similar in focus to Android 3.0/Honeycomb. Just like Honeycomb was designed to bring the Android smartphone OS to tablets, Key Lime Pie will be designed to bridge the gap between the current Android world and the world of the laptop PC.

Supposedly, Google has specifically engineered Key Lime Pie for this purpose and Samsung has elected to "run with the ball." Mr. Kuo indicated that we will not likely see Key Lime Pie launch at Google I/O 2013, but instead we will see some other version of Android 4.x (most likely 4.3 from all the intel we have been sharing lately). However, According to Kuo, Samsung will lead the way with an "Android Book" Android based laptop within about four months which might coincide with the Google launch of Android 5.0.

If true, this could be the start of Google & Samsung assailing both Apple and Microsoft on a whole new front. I doubt Apple ever expected Google or Samsung to go up against their powerful "Macbook" line, and for Microsoft this could be a nightmare scenario. Sales of PC's have already started declining drastically over the past two years with the rise of tablets. With Microsoft struggling to push their way into the tablet market, and with Android tablets gaining ground on Apple's iPad, getting flanked by Samsung and Google on the PC side of things could be a very powerful surprise sneak attack.

Could Android 5.0/Key Lime Pie be the start of an Android/PC hybrid which brings a third serious OS competitor to the world of the desktop/laptop world? If so, it could shake up the industry in a big way.

Source: CNET

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Sounds good, I think android won't have any problems kicking Mac's behind, Windows umm that's a tough up hill battle. In all honesty it would be hard for me to buy an android computer, unless it came with grub so Linux could be installed on dual boot. I like android but it cant compete with Linux.