Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 - Not Charging - Brand New

thundr101

Mar 18, 2012
I've been reading through posts on here, but haven't really found anything definitive on why this is happening with these Tablets.... I purchased the 10.1" White, 32gb WIFI Only model about 3.5 weeks ago.. was charging fine via computer USB and Wall Adapter, and about 2 weeks into it, I started noticing the red X on the Battery icon when I was trying to charge the tablet. Standard apps installed, no rooting, no power management apps, nothing (yet.. hadn't gotten that far with it). When I power off the tab, the indicator looks like it's charging, and it is, but if I monitor the battery stats, they are always showing "discharging" and it will take days.. literally 4 - 5 days to get a 56% charge.

I returned the tablet to Best Buy last night, they gave me a brand new one.. decided I'd let this one fully charge before trying to use it (I was too excited with my new toy, last time around).. and I noticed that this morning the tab was still 'charging'. I powered the device up and see that it too has the red X on the battery. Battery is finally at 99%, but I cannot get it to charge to 100%, and it's been plugged in since 5pm yesterday (to a wall adapter).

I checked Kies for an update, hoping this was a software/firmware issue, but nothing is available. I could call Samsung, but besides getting a new tab that just doesn't charge, what can we do to figure out what is wrong with this device?

Device stats:

10.1" Galaxy Tab
32gb WIFI Only
Android: 3.2
Kernel: 2.6.36.3
Build: HTJ85B.UEKMP P7510UEKMP

ANY Help or direction to resolve this would be greatly appreciated. It's terrible to be en route or on a plane and to have this thing run low on battery... you can't even charge it up fast enough to get any life out of it. For $500, this is not really a good deal at the moment.

Thanks all,

--Thundr101

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Thundr101, congratulations on your new tablet and welcome to the forum. I'm moving your thread to the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 forum for you, where more people are likely to join the discussion. There are a lot of friendly, knowledgeable people in that forum and I'm sure they'll help you as much as they can. Good luck!

britinva

Jun 30, 2011
when you say charging via the wall adapter assume you mean the supplied samsung adapter as other usb power adapters my not work. i discovered this when inadvertantly was using another samsung usb adapter.

sherri64

Dec 26, 2011
Also, I believe the tablet will not natively charge from a pc/USB port. Needed wall outlet. Also, definitely use cable that came with tablet.

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

thundr101

Mar 18, 2012
PM
@britinva - Hi! What I mean by Wall Adapter - Yes, I use the included Wide-Plug adapter (the wide plug that actually plugs into the Tablet Itself) and then I use the little USB cube that comes with, inside the box. Since I have other Samsung devices, they also use the Wall USB Cube, and I've tried (for kicks) to use those as well.. but still no go. But to answer your question, I am using the included (specified) Samsung charging parts to charge my tablet. Still having issues tho.. and I've read this online quite a bit.

PM
@sherri64 - Hi! I might be charging via the drivers included after installing Kies, or because it's a power-injected USB hub.. not sure. Nonetheless, no matter what source of power I use, the tablet takes DAYS... Days to charge. Even then I am happy to see 56% on the battery stats.. if that.

Also, I believe the tablet will not natively charge from a pc/USB port. Needed wall outlet. Also, definitely use cable that came with tablet.

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
There is definitely something wrong. Are you using the same cord that came with your first tablet? If so it's probably bad. Have you tried other outlets? If the cord is new too I'd suspect something is wrong with your home's electrical system or at least with the outlet you're using. It might be sending surges that fry the battery.

From what I've read it's not meant to charge via USB so don't.

thundr101

Mar 18, 2012
@Sue7M3 -- I agree something isn't right.. it's pretty bad that a brand-new tablet isn't charging.

Since the Tablet requires a special cable/adapter to either USB Sync or Charge the device (meaning it's not just a standard Mini-USB that connects to the actual tablet side), I've been using the original cable that came with the 1st 'bad' tablet. I received a new cable with my 2nd tablet.. so now I have both the original and new charging / sync cable.

I experience the charging issue everywhere, not just at home. And to be perfectly honest, if in this day and age, Samsung weren't able to design a tablet that can handle power/voltage variations, there would be SO many more posts about it online. Lol. I honestly think this is a firmware/software issue. Do a search for "Samsung 10.1 Tablet not charging" and see the number of results.. that's no coincidence.

End result, it needs to be fixed. Else I need to get a tablet that works and charges like it should.

I guess if no one else here has any suggestions, I'll have to call Samsung and figure out with them, what to do.

Thanks!

There is definitely something wrong. Are you using the same cord that came with your first tablet? If so it's probably bad. Have you tried other outlets? If the cord is new too I'd suspect something is wrong with your home's electrical system or at least with the outlet you're using. It might be sending surges that fry the battery.

From what I've read it's not meant to charge via USB so don't.

jimmy6

Mar 24, 2012
Had the same problem. Was only charging 54-56%, getting a red "X" in the battery area even while charging. I was using the wrong plug adapter (cord was fine), had switched it up accidently with a Samsung phone adapter/charger. Once I went back to the proper adapter things started working fine. You may want to recheck your adapters to ensure you have the correct one.

jinen

Apr 15, 2012
i had a similar problem. My wall power socket was far and charger power cable was short. so i used usb cable extender to extend my connection while using tablet. it doesnt charge when i use this extra cable. shows little red cross sign on batery while charging. Then i tried without this extra cable. its working.

viperhastle

May 29, 2012
hey guys. here is an observation. I bought my samsung galaxy tab 10.1, 3 weeks ago. I have been charging it through the power adapter provided by samsung but added a USB extention so that the cable is a bit longer, as the one provided with samsung is pretty short. I noticed when charging the tablet with the usb extension on takes about 8 hrs straight to charge to 100%. Now i took the extension out and now it takes 6.5hrs. note that both times the tablet was discharged to 3% battery.

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I strongly suggest you stop letting your battery get that low before you charge it. I would not go below 20-30% before charging. Draining the battery that low repeatedly will shorten its life.

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
In the future please take the time to post in the correct forum. This section is for the Galaxy Tab. I'll move yours to the Galazy Tab 2 section.

emarquart

Jul 24, 2012
Very interesting as this is why I searched the site today. I have the 7.7 galaxy tab and have found that it will ONLY charge with the plug that came with it. WHY!!! It is so short and most of us have multiple power cords/devices these days. I have had issues with a number of attempts to charge the tablet. I ALWAYS use the actual cord that came with the table, but the issues I run into are when you plug the usb end into anything other than the wall plug it came with. I have tried a portable battery pack that I have used on my prior Samsung tablet and not go, I get the red x. I also have a wall plug from Motorolla that has two usb slots, and I get a really strange reaction. When I use this the table says says it is starting some sort of initialization, then I get the red x, now if I unplug it over and over a few times, it will eventually charge. Won't charge with computer, or car charger either. Any help here? I travel a lot and have always depended on the ability to charge on various sources and this is just crazy and makes no sense at all.

I also called Samsung and they just said the stock answer "do a factory reset"! It has done this since it was taken out of the box so that is not the issue.

Last edited:

Weebee

Dec 1, 2011
Funny, I had the same issue with my TF101. The USB charging cable was too short so I tried a USB extension cord and it wouldn't charge. I just got a short extension cord to go from the outlet to the charging cube. Problem solved.