Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 a good match for a college commuter?

Oct 7, 2012
Just like it says, I'm going to be commuting to college next spring and I'm thinking about getting a tablet to "replace" my fat 15" Macbook Pro. I have neck problems and it's just too heavy for me to carry around every day, but I really can't do without internet access and word processing. I don't have a smart phone and I'm not interested in getting one right now, and since netbooks are all wifi-only, I think a tablet is the way to go.

Here's the rundown of what I'm looking for:
  • 4G-enabled (I'd settle for 3G if I had to, and WiFi-only is not an option)
  • Must be carried by Verizon
  • Under $500 (not including data plan)
  • Flash and HTML5 support
  • Expandable memory
  • Good word processing apps (for note-taking during class and working on longer assignments)
  • Good media support for e-books, music, and movies/shows (game support can be basic and I'll be happy)
  • Need access to Amazon apps (I have Amazon Prime)
  • No size preference
  • Don't care too much about the cameras (I might use them and I might not)

I've been looking at a ton of tablets and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 really caught my eye. It looks like it has most of the features and specs I'm looking for, but I haven't found any reviews that tell me whether it would be good for a student like myself. If any current owners could give me some insight into whether this tablet could work well for me, I'd appreciate it.

I'm also curious about the keyboard. I've never typed on a large touchscreen keyboard and I'm not sure I'd be able to do it for long periods of time - which is something I really need to be able to do in class. Do any of you have a preference for the virtual keyboard or have you invested in a bluetooth keyboard instead?