Samsung Moving Away From Android Platform?

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
This might explain a lot:

Samsung Confirms Plans To Move Away From Android Platform This Year

Tizen Is The Fulcrum Samsung Can Use To Protect Themselves Against Google

If Samsung's got its developers busy working on Tizen and Tizen-based product, I imagine they'd have less time to spend getting fixes done for things like root vulnerabilities and broken clipboard support in their current Android-based product.

I have to wonder if Samsung is Missing The Point to ecosystems like Android? With Android I can have, say, a Samsung tablet and a Motorola handset, and share applications and data between them nearly seamlessly. Or perhaps, for them, that is the point? Perhaps Samsung wants something they can so-heavily customize, so-thoroughly make "their own," that, with their devices, you'd have to go all Samsung to achieve the same? Kind of like iStuff?

I know I'm not interested in that. Not in the least. I wonder how many others will be?

Jim

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I like what Samsung is doing, how well Tizen does, depends on how many apps are available for that device. If the only apps available come from Samsung then Tizen wont be much. If Samsung can build something similar to playstore and get a lot of the same android developers Tizen could take off. Comes down to apps, so the question to ask Samsung, Got apps?

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I can't imagine Samsung, given the amazing success they've had with Android, is doing anythng but hedging their future bets. To introduce another platform now, looking at the lackluster success, at least so far, of Microsofts latest attempt at creating a competing hardware/software environment would be a huge risk. Sure, Samsung, like Microsoft, would love to be in Apples enviable position of having a revenue stream through every phase of a products life. I suppose this could be their long term plan, and there is really no hurry. They could transition slowly without commiting too much up front. Just the threat of a competing platform could give them huge leverage with Google as well.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1