Samsung Planning to Kill Off Unofficial Accessories?

cereal_killer

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 5, 2011
sammy_charger.jpg

Ever find yourself on vacation and realize you forgot your wall charger for your smartphone? Yeah, it happens to everyone at some point in their smartphone owning lives. Luckily it's not even a problem. You just go out to the nearest store, fork out $5-$8 for a generic one and your on your way. Crisis averted! What if we told you that if your a Samsung fan that scenario may just become a whole lot more complicated in the future? Yes, running out and picking up a charger just to 'get you by' may be a thing of the past if your a Samsung fan.

According to ETNews Samsung Electronics recently distributed an authenticity recognition chip to its accessory business division and suppliers, and made it mandatory to install the chip on all their accessories. What exactly does this mean? It means that Samsung assigns a unique ID to the chip in the case, wireless charging pad, wall charger etc. This chip detects the authenticity of the smartphone accessory, and if it is not authentic, the accessory cannot be used. So getting your hands on an accessory when you left your authorized one at home will now become a very big issue.

According to Samsung they established this authenticity policy apparently for the sake of reliability--cough *BS* cough--. Here at DroidForums HQ we tend to think ETNews hit the nail on the head when they said:

the real intention is to capitalize on its control over the smartphone market to take the initiative in the high-value-added accessory business. It is an attempt to support the accessory business division Samsung created earlier this year, and reinforce its closedness and induce loyal customers to buy more Samsung products.

If this report turns out to be accurate Sammy may face some serious backlash. If you are saying to yourself "Gee this sounds like what Apple did", well pat yourself on the back. This is exactly what Apple did.

Sound off in the comments below. We want to hear your rants and/or praises.

Source: ETNews

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Samsung will do more harm to their sells than good. Users want to be able to use accessories they choose, not just the ones approved by Samsung.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Tablet

b1lk1

Jan 15, 2012
Never been a fan of Samsung phones, this just makes iteven easier for me to not like them.

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
Dear Samsung,

You've already got a couple strikes against you, in my book. That's one reason my wife and I own HTC handsets, rather than Samsungs. This will just add another strike.

Jim

jimmyt

Jul 19, 2010
Samsung is one of the oldest electronic companies around. If they do this, it will be the last for a samsung product in my home.