Samsung Working on a 12.2-Inch Galaxy Note Tablet for Early Next Year

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
samsung_logo_brushed_metal.jpg

According to some recent supply chain rumors, it appears that Samsung is currently working on a 12.2-Inch Galaxy Note tablet which will launch in early 2014. This is the same device which earlier intel indicated has already passed through the FCC. Here's what we know about the specs:
  • 12.2-inch 2560 x 1600 display
  • 2.26GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor
  • 8-megapixel camera
  • 2-megapixel front-facing camera
  • 3GB of RAM
  • 32GB of storage
  • Android 4.3 Jelly Bean and LTE support for the cellular version
  • S Pen Stylus
What do you guys think? As the sizes of devices continue to trend upward, it makes you wonder at what point will a tablet become too big to be useful?

Source: AndroidAuthority

MA83

Feb 25, 2012
Do these large tablets really sell that well? They are large and bulky. Sure it makes for a great size on a desktop/tabletop scenario, but I'd rather have a docking station for that case.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I have the Samsung Ativ 500t which has an 11.6" screen that uses the same Wacom technology as the Note line of Android tablets. It is more manageable than you might imagine. Looking at the size reduction of the new note 10.1 2014 edition compared to the original I think this could be a usable tablet in terms of size and weight. Maybe not something for the road but a good family tablet.

MA83

Feb 25, 2012
Well then perhaps it's more of a matter of application. In fact, I'm having a tough personal debate between getting a new ten inch or 7/8 inch tab. I've got one of each and both form factors have their purpose. I really like the mobility of the smaller form factor, but the extra screen landscape comes in handy at times on the larger. I travel a lot between offices and meetings though which is why I'm thinking mobility may win out in the end.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
This is why I'm kind of excited about the newer 8" form factor. Nearly as pale as a 7" device but the extra screen real estate makes a big difference.

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
What do you guys think? As the sizes of devices continue to trend upward, it makes you wonder at what point will a tablet become too big to be useful?
I think that's bigger than I'd want in a tablet. I think I've hit my limit with a 10" tablet--and even that sometimes seems too big.

This is why I'm kind of excited about the newer 8" form factor. Nearly as pale as a 7" device but the extra screen real estate makes a big difference.
I had, still have, actually, an 8" tablet. I wouldn't want to go any smaller. Even then: Going back-and-forth between that and my 10" tablet: The 8" seems awfully constrained. I find the 8" great for reading books, but too small for much else. I find the 10" nice for everything, but a bit cumbersome for book reading.

I'm beginning to think the sweet spot, for me, anyway, might be somewhere around 9".

Jim

MA83

Feb 25, 2012

Me too. I found my 7" to be adequate for doing pretty anything I wanted. I didn't even mind typing on it in a word processor/blogging app. It was large enough that I could do almost everything without zooming, but since it was larger it wasn't as much of a pain to zoom in with it as it was a phone. The first 8" I played with was the first Vizio and I thought it was perfect, but I never got one because of the specs.

edap

Dec 12, 2012
This all means that we can expect a healthy dose of offerings next year, which will probably include just about every screen size imaginable. Samsung is already offering 7, 8, and 10.1-inches, and we also know that a 13.3-incher is also in the works. This size screams at a Windows / Android dual boot setup, but that’s just a guess.
I am sure Samsung will unveil some goodies at CES in January, but I am also sure that we will see a leak or two, by then.

edap

Dec 12, 2012

If the Samsung Galaxy Note 12.2 does feature the S-Pen, as is being rumored in the tech specs, inspite of the massive size, the tablet could be a big hit among graphic designers, as well as common users. Whether it is creating documents or presentations or simply taking notes, I think that we can all agree that if it's portable enough - than the bigger, the better.