Sandisk 32Gb MicroSD card - Real or Fake?

OutaDaDark

Mar 18, 2011
Hi all

I'm letting you know that there doesn't seem to be any way to tell a genuine Sandisk 32Gb MicroSD card.

$Sandisk 32GB microSD - Genuine (in red) versus Fake (in yellow) - front view.jpg

I say this because I've been looking to upgrade my 16Gb MSDHC card to a 32Gb and ran into the picture above, on Amazon, which states that there will be a serial number on a genuine card, just below the 32Gb legend on the card. Yet scroll up to the device they're selling and it's as bald a newborn baby's tush. NO SERIAL NUMBER!!

There are so many scare stories on the Net about people losing data that although I've sworn by Sandisk Memory for years now, I've reached the point where I might look elsewhere. Sandisk memory has always been a reliable, fair priced product that has NEVER let me down. But the counterfeiters are doing them a serious injustice.

If you unwittingly buy a fake Sandisk MSDHC, kick up a stink with the seller and let them know you know it's fake and you will be adding their name to the 'I'll never buy from you again Hitlist '. Perhaps they'll start stocking the good old reliable devices Sandisk supply.

I have no affiliation to Sandisk, just a bit peeved that I may have to pay top dollar for a device Sandisk could've supplied for a more reasonable price.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I find nothing unique or more reliable about Sandisk.
Most of my cards are PNY. I've never seen a failure. In fact I prefer that brand to some of the over priced "big name" brands.

Buy in person at a store. What ever you save buying on line you will give up in shipping and risk.
If you have to buy on line, go to some place that is more than just a catalog service for a bunch of other sellers.

frnkws

Jul 30, 2011
I got a fake sandisk micro sdhc about 6 months ago.
The paint rubbed off by just touching it.
It did not work.
I put in a claim which I won.
I got nothing.
So much for putting in a claim.
You're better off paying at a reputable site and paying more.
Otherwise you have to buy it again anyway.

2wheelsagain

May 29, 2011
stuff i put on memory cards is to valuable to risk on a potential fake. While I am a long term eBay user I buy memory locally. The confidence is worth the 25% price hit. This goes for all brands.

OutaDaDark

Mar 18, 2011
@icebike
... each to his own my friend, each to his own... I PERSONALLY prefer Sandisk.... and buying a fake in person at a store is still buying a fake if you don't know what to look for.....

@frmkws
... isn't Amazon one of the widest used sites in the world??? .... surely a reputable site... (flamers welcome, broad back & shoulders waiting :)

@2wheelsagain
Spot on... a 25% price hike to buy locally!!!

All, I make no apologies for a preference for Sandisk, wouldn't dream of advising against anybody else's preference and don't mind at all where anyone cares to buy their memory.

I thought it prudent to advise fellow A500ers (?) about the fake Sandisk memory that seems to be flooding the world market and that there is little chance of spotting the fakes until 2 or 3 months of reliable use then Crrraaassshhh!!

Buy Sandisk, PNY, Kingston or even NS5 HAL memory if you like .... but don't say I didn't warn you about the Sandisk fakes :)

Last edited:

OutaDaDark

Mar 18, 2011
frnkws

hmmmm.... The forum uploader seems to resize the image cos it's big enough on my machine, but as you have access to the Internet, you can view the original on the Amazon site :)

View attachment 3656

Nevertheless, try clicking on the above image and you can put that annoying magnifying glass away....

Oh, and thanks for the link..... see, it's not hard to be nice is it?

Apologies if I spoiled your day..... there's always tomorrow.

Last edited:

OutaDaDark

Mar 18, 2011
Ok, this is getting a bit tedious now.

All the h2testw program will do is test for bad SDCards. It will NOT inform you if the card is fake or not.

My point was to inform us all that depending on the seller, even through Amazon, they may be mixing real and fake stock when supplying customers. The information in the image above came from SANDISK themselves who say no serial number, not Sandisk, yet Amazon blatantly allow sellers to put up images WITHOUT the serial number and advertise them as genuine.

Read some of the 1 star reviews that litter the Amazon site amongst the 5 star reviews and you'll see if they had used the h2testw program straight after purchasing, they would believe they had bought genuine products, only for one poor soul to have lost all his young son's first football match snaps (after the card working fine for 2 or 3 months).

True brand products do fail, but as I said in my original post, if Sandisk says it ain't real, well, I ain't buying.

.. and if I fall foul of some shady vendor, I'll certainly want my money back.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDS...AJKI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314285856&sr=8-1

Amazon.co.uk: Customer Reviews: SanDisk microSDHC 32GB Card

Last edited:

OutaDaDark

Mar 18, 2011
Cool StoneKy

Well IceBike, I took the plunge and ordered a PNY 32Gb MSDHC from Play.com. Let's hope it outlives my Acer!!!

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Cool StoneKy

Well IceBike, I took the plunge and ordered a PNY 32Gb MSDHC from Play.com. Let's hope it outlives my Acer!!!

Yeah, I hope it does too, because since I mentioned PNY, I will acquire all blame if it fails... :eek: