Save Battery life via Airplane Mode + WIfI on setting

Epyx

May 27, 2011
This was posted in the XDA forums and I couldn't see it here but they posted a way to get around having to rename the phone file in Root mode by simply turning Airplane Mode on and then manually enabling WiFI mode. This leaves the cell standby off and that 20-25% the process was taking up translates to roughly that much in extended battery life.

robdroid

May 4, 2011
Simply renaming phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk to phone.old and TelephonyProvider.old prevents either service sarting on next bootup without having to enable Airplane mode.

Critical points to observe when renaming phone.apk and TelephonyProvider.apk to disable them:

-Do not delete the two above files- simply rename them with root explorer (must enable R/W acess- then long press on both files to rename). You will need these two files sometime down the line.

-Do turn tablet auto update to "off" before renaming files because firmware updates to the tablet OS/firmware will fail and possibly brick your tablet if the two above files are not present in their original form with original file names.

-Do restore original file names to above files before attempting updates to tablets OS/firmware, etc.

-Do not perform "factory reset of all data" through the menu before restoring original file names to above files- or you will brick your tablet 100% guaranteed! No way to recover from this situation currently!

All mods to OEM files done at your own risk- always search all available boards/forums, etc for info & results from others who attempted the procedure before you!

Epyx

May 27, 2011
Just a note...switching it to Airplane mode and manually enabling WiFI means you don't have to do the above steps and risk screwing something up. Not everyone wants to make those types of changes and this method (Airplane mode on with Wifi on) ensures you don't make root changes and still benefit from 20-25% extra battery life. Since I have made the change I have been getting an additional 2+ hours charge time.

Again, I posted this because not everyone wants to make root changes and doing this they don't have to.

Last edited:

robdroid

May 4, 2011
Again, I posted this because not everyone wants to make root changes and doing this they don't have to.
I agree with you 100% Epyx
For me, it seemed more convenient to mod the files- I can see why some would be uncomfortable doing this.
It's nice to have two options to solve this issue :)

bruce wayne

May 20, 2011
This was posted in the XDA forums and I couldn't see it here but they posted a way to get around having to rename the phone file in Root mode by simply turning Airplane Mode on and then manually enabling WiFI mode. This leaves the cell standby off and that 20-25% the process was taking up translates to roughly that much in extended battery life.

ive been trying this method for weeks and it does not work. i constantly see cell standby ranging from 10%-40%. i am using a 32 gb model that is rooted.

has anyone gotten this method to work on either
a) a rooted device
b) a 32 gb model

?

Epyx

May 27, 2011
has anyone gotten this method to work on either
a) a rooted device
b) a 32 gb model
While my unit is not rooted it does qualify as a b) 32gb model

The method works 100%. I show 0% cell standby. Perhaps it does not work when rooted? Although I can't see why that would make a difference? The other possibility is your build?

robdroid

May 4, 2011
I have read some posts where people claim that there are apps that seemingly override the "Airplane" mode set by the user and do indeed turn on the cell modem anyway. I did have this happen on my (rooted if that makes a difference) A500- that's why I went with the more permanent method of renaming the two files.

Each user has to check their own device with their installed apps- if you set "Airplane" mode to on and later on while checking your battery usage you still notice "cell standby" then you have a rogue app that's ignoring your "Airplane" mode settings.

If my A500 had strictly obeyed "Airplane" mode rules- I wouldn't have renamed my files.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
There is no believable evidence of a rogue app.

There is no user who has ever reported setting Airplane mode on plus wifi on completely removed seeing cell standby in battery usage - therefore, everyone must have a rogue app? I don't think so.

There is no user who as demonstrated any measurable battery saving via EITHER method.

In fact, even those who rename the module have never posted any test data showing any battery saving. All they post is the absence of the cell standby line in the battery usage display. But there is no evidence it translates to any affect on runtime.

Last edited:

Epyx

May 27, 2011
There is no user who as demonstrated any measurable battery saving via EITHER method.

In fact, even those who rename the module have never posted any test data showing any battery saving. All they post is the absence of the cell standby line in the battery usage display. But there is no evidence it translates to any affect on runtime.
Did you read the start of my thread? I said I noticed a 20-25% *extension* in battery life. I would get roughly 8 hours at full load, I now get 10+...that is measurable in my books. I have seen others post the same findings. Not sure what you are looking for? Not only does Cell standby not increase or occupy the battery time as it once did, I get more hours out of a full charge doing the same things I have always done.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
No, that's not measurable. That's your estimates based on your usage pattern which changes day to day.

The normal tendency is to buy a tablet, use the hell out of it for a while. Then the novelty wears off and you start using it in a normal pattern, which extends your run time because you are not trying every single thing it has on it.

Do a full charge to 100%. Run it till the warning shows, and then record Time on Battery (Its at the top of the screen in Settings / About Tablet / Battery use). Do this for three days in a row.

Re-Enable those modules and do the same recording for three days.

You will find that there is no real difference. Its all perception, and when you look at the data it disappears.

I have no clue what's wrong with your runtimes.

I get 24 hours and 22 minutes with my usage pattern (recorded by Battery Left), and that includes a lot of Angry Birds play time and web surfing, mail reading.

The most anyone has ever seen in Battery use display is about 12% attributed to the Cell Standby. So how do you claim 25% improvement by saving 12%? That should have been your first clue that your perception was off.

Epyx

May 27, 2011
You say the "most anyone has claimed is 12%" and yet I exceeded that claim by claiming 20-25%? I have seen still others claim between the two.

Of course being someone who usually operates on fact and not blind belief you got me curious enough to run some re-producible tests that I could offer you as proof positive that battery life is extended. If I am wrong I will be the first to admit it and retract the post.

Last edited:

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
You say the "most anyone has claimed is 12%" and yet I exceeded that claim by claiming 20-25%? I have seen still others claim between the two.

No, what I meant is the 12% is all that ever showed up in Battery Use statistics after a typical day of use.

Note: Just to be sure we understand that display, what we see there is the breakout of the battery used since last full charge, not the percentage of battery capacity. Its a subtle difference.

Example:
Charge to 100%.
Power on and use it for two minutes.
You have hardly touched the battery at all.
Yet Screen will probably account for 90% of usage. Which means 90% of that tiny percent of actual battery drain.

So if your tablet sits completely unused, that tiny drain allocated to Cell Standby can become a big number (maybe even approaching 50%), even tho the battery use is tiny, and the battery is still showing 95% charge.

People get all excited about this and cry "Why is cell standby using all my battery", when in fact it doesn't affect run time very much at all.

So.... Getting back on track...
The numbers in Battery Use display are very misleading at first glance, and if you say you saw a 25% increase in runtime that has to be measured with a clock, with total disregard to the numbers in battery use.

The only number in there that makes any sense is the "Time On Battery". At battery exhaustion, the percentages might mean something, but not until then.

--- Edit: I'm sure you know the about those Percentages and how meaningless they are, I'm just posting this so new users will find it and understand that they are not something to get excited about.

Still wondering why you can't get more than 8 hours.

Last edited:

kes601

May 23, 2011
Put mine in airplane mode, charged it up, battery stats still show the cell standby usage at 12%

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

gerryex

Apr 30, 2011
Put mine in airplane mode, charged it up, battery stats still show the cell standby usage at 12%

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

Yes, I'm doing that also but it still shows cell standby at 7%, which is what I have been getting from day one! Haven't had it on long enough to see if there really is a battery savings or not.

Gerry