Screen keeps turning off

jman922

Nov 7, 2011
Hi all

Well actually its not the screen but the backlight what is going on. It like just after a touch or during so it not the time out.

But it just blacks out and I have to turn it off (standby) and turn it back on afterwards... quite annoying. Am I alone with this experience or have others seen this

Running version 3.2

Any help or same experience is much wellcome (lets share the pain)

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

oz83

Oct 20, 2011
From main screen
tab to app-->Setting-->Screen-->Brightness -->put a tick for "Automatic brightness"Ok
-->Timout-->Choose for 2 minutes. oka.
animation-->"select -->All Animation.oka.
try if you still experiencing the issue.

jman922

Nov 7, 2011
Thank you for the input i will try it migth help with the auto brightness, have that on fixed to save batt.

I dont think it the time out, as it turns off when i am active on the screen as i said it the backligth the turns off not standby, the tablet is still running and i can oprerate it (just without seeing what i am doing)

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Sounds like next stop is Sony Technical Support... How long can you use it before it does that? Have you tried resetting it to the original factory settings? Just grasping at straws here.

FlyingFoxie

Dec 25, 2011
I know there is a problem if the tablet is on charge and the brightness is on full. In this situation, on some devices, the screen will go black. Not sure if this is an overheat issue, but it has been logged as a fault a number of times.

lhlan

Dec 27, 2011
Thank you for the input i will try it migth help with the auto brightness, have that on fixed to save batt.

I dont think it the time out, as it turns off when i am active on the screen as i said it the backligth the turns off not standby, the tablet is still running and i can oprerate it (just without seeing what i am doing)

I've got the same problem, so i decided not to save the battery, and having the auto bright OFF to get rid of this. Hope this help.

clairendm

Jan 19, 2012
I have just started having this problem also , screen goes off in the middle of using it, twice typing this, only 2 weeks old not happy I have tried everything with nothing :(, any other help is appreciated

Androidaholic

Jan 8, 2011
Hi there! I just thought I would let you all know that while testing out two different Sony S tablets at two different best buys both of the tablets did this. I was kind of thinking about getting one but there is no way for it to be functional if it is doing that all of the time. Anyway, I tryed every configuration possible and nothing worked. Very annoying ! I ended up getting the new Acer A200 and have not had any problems with it.

miszkam

Feb 1, 2012
damnit same problem! nothing helps, really annoying. just wanted to add to the list of unlucky people...) Is it faulty hardware or software malfunction?? I hope Sony comments on this one day. If it's software than this has to be fixed in 4.0. otherwise, really bad start to entering the tablet pc market for sony..and the most terrible thing is that i can't take the tablet to technical support, because it will definately work fine there. u have to use it for some time for this problem to occur.

Last edited:

davect01

Jan 22, 2012
damnit same problem! nothing helps, really annoying. just wanted to add to the list of unlucky people...) Is it faulty hardware or software malfunction?? I hope Sony comments on this one day. If it's software than this has to be fixed in 4.0. otherwise, really bad start to entering the tablet pc market for sony..and the most terrible thing is that i can't take the tablet to technical support, because it will definately work fine there. u have to use it for some time for this problem to occur.

Sorry you are having issues, I have not experienced it at all.

Hopefully you can get this resolved, nothing worse than a malfunctioning new toy:(

miszkam

Feb 1, 2012
Sorry you are having issues, I have not experienced it at all.

Hopefully you can get this resolved, nothing worse than a malfunctioning new toy:(

i suppose it's a hardware problem if some experince it and some don't..because the software we use is pretty much the same) that said, than quality control at sony is terrible, i suppose they rushed it, although they had plenty of time to prepare a well-functioning dual-core device..

davect01

Jan 22, 2012
Any new product is prone to a few issues, but Sony is known for more than most. I guess I should fell lucky that mine is working perfectly.

sarahsper

Feb 8, 2012
I am having exactly the same problems and my screen is never set to auto brightness so I know thats not the problem, would really love a solution as I use photos of recepies on my tablet for cooking and its annoying when screen goes blank and in in the middle of cooking! please help someone!