Screen Protector - To Protect or Not to Protect, That is the Question

Gooner356

Jan 13, 2013
So my new case has arrived, high speed from China. Looks pretty good (for what I paid for it (No Gucci if you know what I mean)) but it did come with a plastic screen protector. Should I employ this or is it a waste of time and will it reduce the screen viewing quality. Can I get a show of hands of whether to protect or not? Any tips?

Cheers

Goon':cool:

arbarnhart

Jan 1, 2013
I bought one of the cheap ($15) leather covers. There is another thread for them in this section. They are custom made for the a2109 - cut outs are in the right places and it fits snugly. I have not removed the tablet from it. I consider the micro SD card a memory upgrade for internal use; if I want to transfer I will use Dropbox, email or USB. Anyway, I always-always-always close the cover when I am not using the tablet. So while I have not put a screen protector on, I am taking precautions. If I did not use a cover religiously, then I might use a protector. I would advise doing one or the other...

BTW, I have to be careful when reading in Overdrive; when my finger is really close but not quite touching it will be detected and turn a page. So I am pretty sure it would work quite well with a screen protector.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I prefer a screen protector to a case. There are differences in screen protectors though. The plastic ones tend to distort the screen slightly (they call it anti-glare but really I think it is a cheap manufacturing process). If you like the screen to be as sharp as possible these may not appeal to you.

The other kind is more of a skin or gel type. These come in two qualities. One has a rubbery type feeling that can add friction and may not work as well with a stylus. Many people do not like the sticky feeling these provide and some don't notice. The last (and best in my opinion) is the same except that it doesn't have the rubbery feel. It doesn't feel exactly like touching the glass but is very close and after a day of use you would be hard pressed to notice a difference.

It might take a few tries to find the one that works for you depending on how you feel about such things. In the end though there are good options if you decide to go that way and realize that not all screen protectors are the same.

JP

brucer

Jan 27, 2013
I use the matte anti-glare protector from GreatShield which is a perfect fit and reduces both glare and fingerprints. Yes, it does reduce image quality a bit so it's not for everybody butfor me at least, it's a fair trade for its benefits. The matte finish is also friction free and a pleasure to use.