SD Card Doesn't Load

photonanax3

Aug 21, 2011
So, I'm running CM7 on my NC off an SD card, no problems. Boss likes what I have, so she gets one for Christmas and wants hers like mine. BUT, her version is 1.4.1 and I have followed Candyman2012 instructions to the letter from here:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd-35.html

When I insert the SD card, the NC loads as normal and doesn't seem to recognize the SD card. I did try a different card and had the same issue. I have even formatted, partitioned and the NC still starts with "read forever". Is there a step I've somehow missed? I am not comfortable with trying to revert back to an earlier NC version. I have the most recent versions of CM7 and google apps and at a loss as to what to do next.

Last edited:

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
Sounds like you are creating bad images. You may eventually have problems running CM7 off of anything other than a class 4 Sandisk card but just about any card should work for booting from.

photonanax3

Aug 21, 2011
Tried one more time with my card - formatted it, flashed the card with newly downloaded files, insert into boss's NC and it still boots as if card is not installed even. Tried a restart by hold N button and my option was factory reset or start normal. Checked and the NC does see the card. My NC is v 1.3 running CM7 off an SD with no problems.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Have you tried your running CM7 card in the boss's Nook or the new card you are trying to create in your Nook? I agree with patruns in that it sounds like you are failing to create a bootable card. Perhaps you have a bad image download or a bad windisk32 download or a bad card reader not allowing a proper image burn.

photonanax3

Aug 21, 2011
J515 - yes, I tried 3 different cards. I even formatted my own card - Sandisk 8g Cl 4, downloaded all new files and tried in the boss'. Still didn't work - but it works just fine on my NC. One thought from another board is that she may have the tablet, which is something I'll check when she comes back next week. I'm running CM7 off an SD and my NC is 1.3.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Ah, I see. Yes, if they are working yours and not hers that is an issue. There is a good chance she has a Nook Tablet which will not boot from the SD card. If she has a tablet it will have more of a lighter bronze bezel instead of a charcoal bezel and the screen glass will be one piece from the top of the Nook to the bottom of the n button. On a Nook Color the screen glass stops just above the n button.

If it turns out to be a Nook Color make sure you are seating the SD card all the way in. If it still doesn't work I would suggest a return might be in order.

photonanax3

Aug 21, 2011
J515 - Thanks for explaining the differences. I will definitely check on that. Checking to make sure the SD card was the first thing I checked as well.

patruns

Jun 4, 2011
Well, the good news is if she has a tablet she has a nice machine even stock and you didn't ruin the boss's new toy! :)

photonanax3

Aug 21, 2011
UPDATE: Thank you guys for your input and help. Turns out boss does have the tablet. I never really looked close at her NC and now that I have them side by side, I can see the difference. No, we're not going to try and run off an SD card and she's okay with that.