Several Technical Issues

lws96

Jun 30, 2015
Hello everyone,

I hope you can at least assist a short term solution for me.

Recently, I got out my Asus TF300 tablet for the first time in over a year thinking I could use it on a long road trip, saving myself eyestrain, battery power, and headaches over using my cell phone. I have the Asus TF300 tablet and docking station/keyboard.

When I found the tablet, it was not without problems. Since I had the keyboard on it, I had no real protective cover for the screen and now it has a nice crack along the screen. I could not find the original charging cable, but I did find a generic USB cable in stores that charges the tablet but not the keyboard. I ordered an official ASUS cable that should arrive tomorrow, hoping it will charge the keyboard as well.

With the generic cable, I was able to charge the tablet itself and perform hundreds of updates since it was last turned on, draining the battery each time I fired it up. Once I had enough juice to play around and see if I could live with the crack, there are those "ghost" touch circles that indicate when something was touching the screen. It is making it near impossible to navigate anywhere -- even with the keyboard attached.

I dismantled the tablet to see what part I needed for the touch screen. The part number is 5158N FPC-1. A search online found the replacement part to be averaging $115.00, coming from China, and won't get here in time.

I thought about disabling the touch screen and using it like a regular laptop. A search online for ways to disable the touch screen via OS settings did not turn up anything promising -- whether by native software or by a hack/root. With the tablet opened, I thought I could simply disconnect the touch screen and leave it hanging, but now instead of one or two "dots" it's a whole game of dots like Whack-a-Mole! All I did was disconnect the cable where it said the part number.

Is there *ANY* way I can disconnect the sensitivity of the touch screen without disconnecting everything, so i can have some semblance of a tablet (albeit a cracked screen) until the part comes in? I tried disconnecting two other cables that ended up being the LCD display and battery, so no functionality then!

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

Your experience with the screen connections is not unlike most others. There doesn't seem to be a way to "only" disable the digitizer section of the screen and those who have tried usually had bad endings, Wish I had better news.