[SOLVED] Can I make my Freelander SXZ-PH20 any faster?

Turbo2Tone

Jan 26, 2015
Hey,

I'm new to these forums. I did a search however I could not find a specific answer on my question so I hope you guys can help me. I had the Galaxy S2, S3 and S4 so I'm quite familiar with android.

I received a Freelander SXZ-PH20 for free. I never had a tablet before and I was quite happy to get something even if it's 7". However this tablet appears really slow, so slow I expect I wont use it a lot.

A little background; I have no experience with rooting, flashing whatever terms are used with phones and tablets. However since I know my way around computers I am willing to learn. Is there a way to speed up the software? I know the hardware is not candy but perhaps software wise there are possibilities.

Specs:
- Android 4.2.2
- Singe core AllWinner A13 SoC (CPU Cortex-A8 1.2GHz and GPU Mali-400)
- Memory 512MB DDr3 SDRAM
- 7" capacitive screen (5 points) 800x480 resolution

Some background:

- new tablet, so new installation
- I have 750MB free of storage free
- I have tried turning it off and on
- There are not trillion apps open

Specific questions:
1. Is overclocking an option?
2. Can I replace the original OS for something faster?
3. Are there any other ways of speeding up the tablet (even if it's a proper memory maintaining app)

Usage:
- Youtube
- Splashtop
- Notepad
- Browsing (which is really slow atm)
- I kinda hoped to play Heartstone: Heroes of Warcraft however Google Playstore says my device is not supported (sadface).

I hope I provided all the info for the help. Thank you in advanced.
PS: I am not expecting complete tutorials as answers but let's say rooting is an option, can you perhaps point me in the right way to learn that?

EDIT: I did disable the animations in developer options, it helps a bit.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

I'm fairly certain you have heard that you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. What ever you do would be held back by the single core CPU and the 512MB of RAM, neither of which you have any control over.

You may or may not be able to find a way to root your tablet and install another ROM but whatever you do will be temporary.

Turbo2Tone

Jan 26, 2015
Due to English not being my native tongue, no but I'll catch your drift.

You say temporary, what do you mean by that? I figured even though a pc is slow, you can still run linux even if you use it to browse the world wide web.

With rooting i can disable the factory default apps to clear some memory usage?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
You can disable most apps in the app manager without rooting. As for tempory I mean that with less than 1GB of RAM and only a single core it may be relatively slow after you have used it for a while, no matter what.

Turbo2Tone

Jan 26, 2015
Makes sense. Thank you for your time replying. I guess it's time for a proper tablet.

Can I lock/mark this thread as asked answered?