[SOLVED] Screen Goes Dim Only When Reading Kindle Books

Capt_Capsize

Aug 16, 2013
Howdy I am new here to this forum. My wife has a Samsung Galaxy Tablet that has been working fine for past 3 months. Suddenly yesterday in the middle of reading a Kindle book the screen went dim. It is only dim when displaying a Kindle book (any of three which she has loaded) all other apps and desk top displays normal brightness. This doesn't even seem possible to me but I know very little about tablets. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Thanks for your reply.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Does the tablet have auto brightness on? if so uncheck it, set brightness to desired setting.

Capt_Capsize

Aug 16, 2013
Already did that, no help. I can see where it dims the screen in all apps but it doesn't brighten the Kindle books at all.

DougInAfrica

Oct 3, 2013
Howdy I am new here to this forum. My wife has a Samsung Galaxy Tablet that has been working fine for past 3 months. Suddenly yesterday in the middle of reading a Kindle book the screen went dim. It is only dim when displaying a Kindle book (any of three which she has loaded) all other apps and desk top displays normal brightness. This doesn't even seem possible to me but I know very little about tablets. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Thanks for your reply.

Hi, I also had this problem a short time ago and I found a solution *thanks to whoever gave it to me. For some odd reason the option to keep the display bright is not found under settings in the Android app, but under the font settings. If you tap the centre of your screen whilst reading your book the icons will appear at the top of your screen. Click the font size icon, and a drop down list of settings will appear. The one at the bottom deals with brightness. To be honest, it's not really too clear either, but I just clicked on it and when I exited my screen was working brightly again - and didn't go off to a dim past when I restarted the Kindle App.

jrileymail

Mar 22, 2014
I had the identical problem--no idea what caused it to shift to a dimmer mode. The screen was so dim that I couldn't see the font size icon without taking my Samsung Tab 3 into a dark room. Once I saw it, the fix was exactly as you describe. Thank you!

Hi, I also had this problem a short time ago and I found a solution *thanks to whoever gave it to me. For some odd reason the option to keep the display bright is not found under settings in the Android app, but under the font settings. If you tap the centre of your screen whilst reading your book the icons will appear at the top of your screen. Click the font size icon, and a drop down list of settings will appear. The one at the bottom deals with brightness. To be honest, it's not really too clear either, but I just clicked on it and when I exited my screen was working brightly again - and didn't go off to a dim past when I restarted the Kindle App.

daniellex

Jun 7, 2014
Thank you soooo much for posting this solution. It works!!! I just gave the answer to another person. Why so counter-intuitive, I don't know.

Victork17

Jul 29, 2014
Sorry, was tapping center of screen but no any font settings appears!
Tablet is samsung tab 3 8.0, and that darkening of the screen during reading Kindle
books happened maybe after apgrading to Android 4.4.
Please help!

Victork17

Jul 29, 2014
Again sorry, just asked help on my job and shame on me, yes it is on the right side on the top of screen letters Aa, it is icon!
Thank you again for help.
God bless you all!

shoe

Aug 27, 2014
In the kindle app, with your book open to a page, You can also use touch the screen with two fingers and move them up or down to brighten and dim the screen, respectively. Neat little trick found on another website thats works!

jooles

Feb 16, 2015
joolesJunior Member

New

Thank you so much for explaining that the brightness mode is with fonts when screen is tapped. It was driving me crazy! It happened suddenly just like described by others.

Rottweiler

Apr 3, 2015
Thanks to all help from above. My problem began when I resized text using the thumb and forefinger drag on the screen. The screen went dim and grey. Lesson learned, use font sizing in upper right hand corner when wanting smaller or larger text. Thanks again. :)

swuzy

May 25, 2015
Dear DougInAfrica,

Thanks so much for the solution and this forum for providing the platform for sharing it.

I remember doing something, I recall not what, and the screen display went poof! and all dimmed out! Like a three level light bulb suddenly losing a filament or two. Ouch!

The S8.1 tablet screen went soo dim, and seemed to get dimmer and dimmer as time went on!

Tried all the normal setting adjustments. Soo frustrating. Starting to think it may be a tablet defect. I was ready to consider returning the tablet.

But a 'defect' affecting only the Kindle reader app? Didn't make sense.

I am so happy get this 'fixed.' Thank you, thank you.

dethompson451

Jul 21, 2015
Let me add my heartfelt thanks to the above. My screen went dim suddenly, but only while reading the Kindle books (just as the others described) about a month ago. It defied logic as to why only the one app was problematic.. The fix worked perfectly. I usually adjust the fonts by resizing the text using my thumb and forefinger to drag the screen. Learn something every day!! Many thanks.

utessie

May 10, 2016
THANK YOU THANK YOU FOR TELLING ME TO GO TO FONTS TO GET MY KINDLE READING LIGHT TO COME BACK ON! IT WORKED GREAT! I CAN READ AGAIN!