[SOLVED] Trio AXS 4G: Automatically Updating to 4.4 Overnight?

ES44AC8102

May 26, 2015
Hello,
Hope I'm in the right forum to ask this question.

My tablet is running v4.2.2 currently and the Trio folks say to look in settings under 'about' and find something that says update and change it to manual... I don't see anything like that. I DO see a message that says my tablet is up to date and no updates are necessary. Would a virus make the option to manually invoke an update disappear? My AVG says it's clean.

They (Trio) suggest I turn off sleep or standby and let the tablet plugged in and ON connected to Wi-Fi all night and it should auto update to 4.4.

Does this sound like it will work? Seems odd that it would update if it thinks it doesn't have to, is the reason I ask.

Thanks in advance!

ES

ES44AC8102

May 26, 2015
Needless to say that idea didn't work. Trio now says that they aren't sure if the tablet will ever update w/o being rooted. Unlike the QVC article on YouTube that advertises that it WILL get an update. So much for truth in advertising if there ever was such a thing.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
AFAIK If you see a message saying the tablet is up to date, there is no update currently pending. Rooting the tablet would not cause it to update, nor would a virus cause an update to disappear.. However, that doesn't mean it won't ever update. If and when the manufacturer of the tablet issues an update, you should be automatically notified. Meanwhile, enjoy your tablet and the forum!

ES44AC8102

May 26, 2015
Hi Spider,

Thanks for the info, I'm not holding my breath on the update, but if one shows up that'll be fine. In spite of the low price of the tablet I find I am able to do more than I ever expected with it, so I'm happy.
What impresses me the most is the VR technology. I find the recognition to be faster than my Dragon Naturally Speaking on my PC. That said, there's no way to train it to improve it, and I can't figure out how to make corrections other than delete the whole line of text. Plus it's tough to beat free 200 MB of data for the life of the tablet from T-Mobile!

All in all very cool for under $200!

Regards,

"ES"

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi ES,

Thanks for your reply. Glad to hear the tablet's working OK, and you're happy with it.:)

VR,
Spider

BTW Not all updates are necessarily good. My N7 has updated several times The last update provided no noticeable improvement whatsoever, and now my battery doesn't last nearly as long as it did before the update. Be careful what you wish for.:(

ES44AC8102

May 26, 2015
Hi ES,

Thanks for your reply. Glad to hear the tablet's working OK, and you're happy with it.:)

VR,
Spider

BTW Not all updates are necessarily good. My N7 has updated several times The last update provided no noticeable improvement whatsoever, and now my battery doesn't last nearly as long as it did before the update. Be careful what you wish for.:(

Spider,

I've had the same experience with MS over the years. Mercifully a lot of the 'Hotfixes' can be undone without hosing the system, but you never know what they will try to push to you..that's why I run Linux too on the PC. If I lose one OS I still have the other one, however that only works if you installed Linux in a non-conventional way. Easy to do and should be the default but isn't.

When I see the tablet wanting to update, I may just say "no" since it's fine the way it is! :D

Cheers have a good holiday weekend.

ES

deopal

Dec 3, 2015
Hello,
Hope I'm in the right forum to ask this question.

My tablet is running v4.2.2 currently and the Trio folks say to look in settings under 'about' and find something that says update and change it to manual... I don't see anything like that. I DO see a message that says my tablet is up to date and no updates are necessary. Would a virus make the option to manually invoke an update disappear? My AVG says it's clean.

They (Trio) suggest I turn off sleep or standby and let the tablet plugged in and ON connected to Wi-Fi all night and it should auto update to 4.4.

Does this sound like it will work? Seems odd that it would update if it thinks it doesn't have to, is the reason I ask.

Thanks in advance!

ES