South Korean Scientists Claim to Enhance Li-ion Battery Life by 300%

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
By Pallab De on May 25th, 2013

battery.jpg

The biggest bottleneck in a modern day smartphone is its battery. Within just a few years we have gone from single core processors to quad and octa core gigahertz monsters, WVGA to full-HD displays, and 3G to 4G connectivity. However, the battery technology has been struggling to keep up. LG Optimus G, which touts latest innovation from LG Chem, has a battery rated at 3140 mAh. That’s more than double that of what Xperia X10, a handset released more than three years ago had. However, even that probably will not last a day of reasonably heavy usage. No matter which smartphone you use, your battery probably won’t last 24 hours.

Researchers around the world are attempting to come up with a battery that can meet the demands of the next-gen smartphones and other mobile devices. The good news is that a group of scientists might have made some headway in Seoul, South Korea. A team led by Prof. Hyun Taek-hwan of Seoul National University claims to have increased the capacity of a lithium-ion battery by up to three times by using a nano structure of iron oxide and manganese oxide, instead of lead, as the cathode of the battery. The new battery is also believed to be more efficient, losing only 0.5 percent its performance even after numerous recharges.

pharoah

Sep 5, 2010
if their report is accurate that would be awesome.my tablet can go all day anyway.i could imagine 300% more battery in it.i guess it could go 3 days with no issue.