Steps to Get WiFi Connected If Having Problems

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
What to do if you can't get connected to WIFI

There are several things you can do if you can't get connected to your WiFi hotpot or router.

1). Some channels work better than others. 1 and 6 are popular and work well for many people. If you can get connected at all, download WiFi Analyzer This app will give you an idea what channels may be available or over lapping with a nearby router.

2). Restart your router. This sounds simple but has been the solution for many people. Routers frequently accumulate garbage in the system that can be dumped by removing the power cord for at least 30 seconds then plugging it back in. After the router has made a connection, restart your tablet. You also should check to see if there is a firmware update for the router. That could make all the difference. In a few cases some people just replaced an really old router and ended up really happy they did.

3). As is the case with some other devices, Android tablets don't do a great job of telling you there is an error when inputting your password or passphrase. If your tablet says it is trying to connect for more than 10-15 seconds you may have mistyped the required information. It;s also possible it may just say "saved" and do nothing. Long press the connection and tell it to forget your credentials and try again. If your tablet at some point says saved but you are obviously not connected, you may have a poor signal from the router or you are too far away, or there is other interference or it can also happen at times if can't authenticate with the router correctly.

4). I have found that the most Android tablets don't work well or at all with WEP encryption on some routers, though some do work, so your may want to try useing WPA/WPA2 or equivalent. This is better security than WEP anyway. If you still can't connect but see a strong signal try no encryption long enough to determine that it is possible to connect and adjust accordingly.

5). In order to narrow the problem down, if all else is failing, try connecting to a public hotspot or a friend's router.

6) If 1-5 don't help, try a cold boot/start if your tablet has that function. At least turn it completely off and back on.

There are some things you can do to improve your WiFi. Cordless phones typically operate at 2.4 GHz, so do most of the tablets. Keep cordless phones as far away as possible from your WiFi router. Same applies to a microwave oven.

There are repeaters available. The best ones would be the same brand as the router but others work. ASUS has a portable router that can act as a repeater/extender for just about any router, model WL-330N3G. This mobile wireless router will also work with select 3G dongles.

Last edited:

raymond22222

Aug 20, 2012
I have a ztpad android 4.0 and i was using wifi fine, I turned it on today and it says i am connected with wifi but it will not connect to anything. I compaired it with my sons he has the same one, and everything looks the same but his says he has an ip address but mine says no ip address how do I enter an ip address on my wifi?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I have a ztpad android 4.0 and i was using wifi fine, I turned it on today and it says i am connected with wifi but it will not connect to anything. I compaired it with my sons he has the same one, and everything looks the same but his says he has an ip address but mine says no ip address how do I enter an ip address on my wifi?

Welcome to the forum

You can enter "fixed" information like the IP address and DNS info by long pressing the connection - modify - advanced. But before goingt there try to tap the connection, tell it to forget then try reconnecting. Also you still may want to consider restarting the router as it could be confused even if the other tablet seems fine.

raymond22222

Aug 20, 2012
Thankyou very much I never thought that the router would effect the tablet like that turning it off and back on did the trick and to think I was pulling my hair out over something so easily fixed thanks again you are the man.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Thankyou very much I never thought that the router would effect the tablet like that turning it off and back on did the trick and to think I was pulling my hair out over something so easily fixed thanks again you are the man.

Sometimes the simplest things are the ones that trip you up. Glad you got it working.

AndrewRoed

May 1, 2012
I have a few tablets some of which have no trouble connecting to the same wireless router. Some say 'Not in range' when I am two feet from the router. Some just say "Saved". I've done hard resets of the tablets, reset the router. How can I change the encryption?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I have a few tablets some of which have no trouble connecting to the same wireless router. Some say 'Not in range' when I am two feet from the router. Some just say "Saved". I've done hard resets of the tablets, reset the router. How can I change the encryption?

Either the channel or the encryption are at fault. As for how to change it, all the various routers are different. Typically you would input the router IP ie: 192.168.x.1 then the user name and password and look under security or wireless security. You may want to look for an on-line manual for your specific router.

bluebirds608

Oct 14, 2012
Thank you soooooooooooooooooo much something so simple as unplugging the router and then plugging it back in worked... thanks will be back with more questions this place has helped so much... thanks again..

Spikes

Oct 10, 2012
I find when booting up, if I leave inputting the sim card pin for about 5 seconds, the tablet picks up and locks into the WiFi router. Obviously this is only applicable if you have the sim slot and sim card installed.

david08904

Oct 15, 2012
I just got a tablet to use at school and i can not get it to log onto there network. I first have to log onto an unsecured network which can then set up the secure network. When i try to access the unsecured network it just saves it and if i hit connect nothing happens. I have restarted the tablet and tried again but the same thing happens.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I just got a tablet to use at school and i can not get it to log onto there network. I first have to log onto an unsecured network which can then set up the secure network. When i try to access the unsecured network it just saves it and if i hit connect nothing happens. I have restarted the tablet and tried again but the same thing happens.

Welcome to the forum

2 things come to mind. Some access points need to be authorized through a browser. That is still not necessarily secured. Many hotels are set up that way. The other thing you didn't mention would be to tell it to forget then try again. Usually when it says saved it's either because of a bad username/password or a weak signal. In other wordstry again from scratch.