Sticking With My NC...

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
I love my Nook Color. My mom saw it recently and fell in love with it. I was thinking of giving mine to her for Christmas and getting the Nook Tablet, but the fact it can't be rooted is a deal breaker. I need my Zinio and Pressreader apps. Oh well, I'll just buy her a new NC and keep my own. It's a great device.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I love my Nook Color. My mom saw it recently and fell in love with it. I was thinking of giving mine to her for Christmas and getting the Nook Tablet, but the fact it can't be rooted is a deal breaker. I need my Zinio and Pressreader apps. Oh well, I'll just buy her a new NC and keep my own. It's a great device.

Sue dont' despair, the NT can be rooted. It just can't run custom ROMs (at the moment at least) or boot from a ROM on an SD. Even better you don't need to even root it to install your reader apps. Just email yourself the .apk file and then click on the attachment in your NT email to install. If you prefer you can install the Amazon Appstore and then download your reader apps from there.

Maybe mom will get a Nook Color and you'll get a Nook tablet ;)

JP :D

Sue7M3

Staff member
Jan 2, 2011
How do you root the NT? I was reading the NT threads on xda-developers and it seems like a real hassle to sideload apps and all?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Root isn't too bad and the XDA resources are in the various threads right here in our NT corner :)

Rooting:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-tablet/26659-root-progress.html

Side loading:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-tablet/26490-how-add-apps-un-rooted-nook-tablet-not-nook-color.html

I know the XDA threads can be hard to follow sometimes but the ones in our section here are pretty short and easy to follow with links where needed. I don't have the NT but tonyp has one and rooted it without too much trouble. You can probably send a PM if you have specific questions.

:D JP