Still clueless - need rooting/su help

NevadaDave

Mar 2, 2011
Hello All,
I recently bought a Huawei S7, based upon info I found here & other places. So far, I'm reasonably happy with it (battery life is not the greatest) and the SIM card slot is a bonus. Interestingly, I found that AT&T has an unlimited data plan for non-smart phones for $15/mo. With the SIM card from my non-smart phone in my S7, I now have mobile data access when I need it (which is not very often).
Anyhow - one thing that keeps popping up on this forum is the rooting process. I have a basic understanding that doing this allows you access to portions of the O/S that you normally would not have, and you can change clock speeds, get rid of pre-installed apps you don't want/need etc.
However - it seems that the posts assume that (and perhaps rightly) that you are already an Android/Linux developer and already know what to do once the device is rooted. It has taken me days to find out that I need some kind of app on my PC called "adb", but when I investigate this, I get directed to a site that says I have to install an Android SDK, and and installation assistance app. Then, when I try to do this install, I get an error message that says I have to have a Java environment installed. Frankly, this is getting murkier and murkier. Is there any SIMPLE tutorial that explains this stuff? I'm not a Linux developer, but I'm an engineer who writes software for 8/16 bit microcontrollers & am reasonably tech-capable. Most of my experience has been with IDE's, but I've been around long enough to have done DOS batch file editing. I just need something that says,
1. root device
2. Install ??? on your PC
3. Start with this .......
4. blah, blah
Or, does this just make the Android gurus cringe in disgust?
Thanks!

lemmyslender

Jan 10, 2011
Rooting is very simple, in the case of the S7 z4root works just fine. Open up the market, search for z4root, install, run, follow the directions.

I had problems getting abd to work as well. I downloaded droidexplorer, which usually can be used instead. Much easier to install. You'll also need the Huawei usb drivers which are linked in one of the posts here.

You can find links to z4root and the drivers in the first post here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/huawei-tablets/2290-huawei-s7-useful-tweaks-tips.html

NevadaDave

Mar 2, 2011
Lemmyslender, thanks for the reply. I have rooted my tablet with z4root, but I'm not exactly sure what I want to DO with it now. I'll try droidexplorer & see what happens.
Thanks!

NevadaDave

Mar 2, 2011
hmm.. I installed droidexplorer, I can talk to my S7, but when I try to uninstall Twidroid, droidexplorer crashes. Before I hassle the droidexplorer folks, is there some kind of preliminary process I have to do to uninstall the extra stuff that I don't want?

Limey

Mar 15, 2011
Try "Root Uninstall" from the market to get rid of Twidroid and other bloatware (pre installed Apps).

I was pretty clueless to when I got my S7 a couple of months ago but reading the posts on here has got me to a point where I'm almost out of the danger zone ;)

Before you get to far into it there are a couple of things I would do first..
1. install the S7V100R001C61B011 Singapore ROM
2. Root (I used the UniversalAndroidRoot App)
3. Root Uninstall App
4. ADW Launcher with widgets (Unless you like how it looks)
5. Link2SD (alot easier to get working than Apps2SD and does basically the same thing)
6. Wait for 2.2
7. ...
8. Profit?

Last edited:

NevadaDave

Mar 2, 2011
Limey,
What is the supposed advantage to the Singapore ROM? Do you know if it can be installed via droidexplorer, or do I need to have the full Androis SDK installed?
I was able to drop Twidroid by using Titanium backup. I also installed set CPU & it seems to work fine (at least, when I slow the CPU down, everything runs more slowly!).

mecha2012

Feb 7, 2011
Limey,
What is the supposed advantage to the Singapore ROM? Do you know if it can be installed via droidexplorer, or do I need to have the full Androis SDK installed?
I was able to drop Twidroid by using Titanium backup. I also installed set CPU & it seems to work fine (at least, when I slow the CPU down, everything runs more slowly!).
Here's what you would do
Root with z4root
Go here
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...0-recovery-s7-clockworkmod-recovery-port.html
Post 1 and 2 self explanatory if you have no adb because of whatever reason can't help you lol jk Google flash_image download it to your sdcard

From terminal emulator type in
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/mtd/block/ /system
cp /sdcard/whereeverflash_imageis /system/bin/
chmod 777 /system/bin/flash_image
Now it's time to flash the recovery.img from the last link
Type in
flash_image recovery /whereeverrecovery.img is
Download ivyvisors custom rom .05
Hold the menu and send and power buttons until the big ideos logo comes on
Now you are in clockwork recovery
Install update from sdcard
Find ivyvisors rom that you've downloaded and flash it

What's good about the new Singapore rom that ivyvisor rom is base of? Quick reply is it clocks at 1ghz.
To uninstall unwanted apps install applanet you do that research.
Find titanium backup and install and uninstall unwanted apps.
Titanium backup is the superior way to backup and uninstall apps. Hope this answer all your questions.
Be prepare to lose sleep and wife *****ing.

Last edited:

NevadaDave

Mar 2, 2011
Hmmmmm... Mecha2012, that was a bit "concentrated" for me, but I think I got it. So, it looks as if the Singapore ROM lets me run at 1 GHz - actually, I want to run slower to get more battery life, so I think I'll stick with what I have until after I get back from China. I don't know if I will have power at the seat, so I want to stretch the battery as much as I can.
My wife already teases me about my "new best friend"!
Thanks for the info!

mecha2012

Feb 7, 2011
Hmmmmm... Mecha2012, that was a bit "concentrated" for me, but I think I got it. So, it looks as if the Singapore ROM lets me run at 1 GHz - actually, I want to run slower to get more battery life, so I think I'll stick with what I have until after I get back from China. I don't know if I will have power at the seat, so I want to stretch the battery as much as I can.
My wife already teases me about my "new best friend"!
Thanks for the info!
It clocks at 1 ghz but I think using setcpu to underclock it might work at 245mhz min then 1ghz max ondemand