Storage for the new honeycomb update

bkaler

Oct 13, 2011
so for the last rom I was using the sd card fix and was blissfully unaware of how the storage was being managed. What I do know now is it seems to have "internal storage" (756MB) and onboard storage (2.4GB) and SDCard (dependant). When I want to move apps from internal I seem to only get the option of "onboard storage" meaning I will max out at about 2.4 GB in apps.

I thought that was one of our initial problems, isn't there a way to move to the SDCard or is this only the realm of 3rd party apps? And does this work?

drum4ever

Dec 2, 2011
You don't need a 3rd party app. Go to settings, view all settings, storage and near the top on the right it says default storage location. Tap on the location listed beneath it and then select SD Card. The system will take a bit to restart and all the apps installed to internal storage will be moved to the SD. You can then move apps and they will go to SD by default. I did this then downloaded the full US map file for copilot (which I could not fit before) and still 14 gig left on my card. Working like a dream.

james23p

Nov 15, 2011
It worked great this is a major reason for non rooted Vtab owners to update to HC!!! One question and sorry if it has been asked I did read thru the threads but there are some apps that can not be moved correct. If the option is grayed out I am assuming for one reason or another they must be on either internal or onboard storage correct?

Thanks Jim

Last edited:

JandY

Mar 20, 2012
I have tried this several times and I keep getting "operation failed - returning to default storage" type of message. Any thoughts on what I'm missing?

james23p

Nov 15, 2011
Is your SD Card good? I had a bad SD card one time my Nikon just would not recognize. I formated it several time to no avail so I just bought a new one that had no problems what so ever.

Have you tried unmounting and remounting the SD Card, then rebooting? I have found with other devices this helps sometimes.

Jim

JandY

Mar 20, 2012
The SD card is good and is recognized by the tablet. I tried a different card with the same results. I did try the unmount/mount also but no luck. I am now uninstalling programs one at a time to see if a particular program is preventing it from moving. Anything else I can try? I have several programs I paid for so I am not wanting to uninstall those.

alucard9114

Dec 12, 2011
Try factory reset and format SD card starting from scratch always helps.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Conspirator

Feb 10, 2012
Is your SD Card good? I had a bad SD card one time my Nikon just would not recognize. I formated it several time to no avail so I just bought a new one that had no problems what so ever.

Have you tried unmounting and remounting the SD Card, then rebooting? I have found with other devices this helps sometimes.

Jim

It also depends on what you are formatting your card too. I know from experience that NTSF and exFAT did not work with the VTAB under Gingerbread. Currently, the only format that I believe works is FAT32. Maybe with HC it might have opened up to other formats.

Will be testing out tonight, I am purchasing a new 32 Gig card to move all my apps to.

ERViz

Mar 30, 2012
OK - got one of these tablets a week or so ago, it upgraded to HC once I powered it up and connected to my home wifi. Played with it for a while and decided I needed an SD card, so I got one.

I had moved all my apps to onboard storage. I had about 450mb left on the onboard storage, so I tried to push them all to the SD card. No easy way to do that, I had to move to tablet and then move to SD card after changing default storage location to SD card. However, it appears it only copied the stuff to the SD card and did not delete it off the onboard storage as I still have almost no internal storage left.

Any ideas short of resetting to factory defaults?

TIA

Last edited:

james23p

Nov 15, 2011
After you change the default to SD card you then have to go to manage applications and move each app individually. Plus not all apps can be moved some remain on the internal storage.

Jim

ERViz

Mar 30, 2012
After you change the default to SD card you then have to go to manage applications and move each app individually. Plus not all apps can be moved some remain on the internal storage.

Jim
Sorry, maybe my post wasn't clear. I did that. I moved each application back to TABLET, changed the default storage to SD cad, then moved all the applications to SD card.

The problem is, after I originally moved them from TABLET to ONBOARD STORAGE, I ended up eating a big chunk of my internal storage, and only had about 400mb left. So, I thought after moving them back to the TABLET and then to SD, which I did, it would delete it off internal storage, but it appears it did not. It did move them to the SD card, but I still only have 400mb of storage left on ONBOARD STORAGE.

Is there a way to clear the ONBOARD STORAGE?

Last edited:

drum4ever

Dec 2, 2011
What the system is calling internal storage seems to be the operating memory. It is calling what we think of as internal storage Onboard Storage. Look at the total size and you should see it is only 756 mb. The Onboard Storage is 2.4gb.

ERViz

Mar 30, 2012
What the system is calling internal storage seems to be the operating memory. It is calling what we think of as internal storage Onboard Storage. Look at the total size and you should see it is only 756 mb. The Onboard Storage is 2.4gb.
It has INTERNAL storage, ONBOARD storage, and SD card. You are correct, my INTERNAL storage is 756mb and I have 550mb available. The ONBOARD storage is 2.40GB and I have 442mb avail...this did not change when I moved my applications.

I fixed my post - I was using INTERNAL when I meant ONBOARD.

Originally, I didn't have an SD card, so everything was loading up to INTERNAL storage. When the tablet slowed down noticeably, I moved it all to ONBOARD storage. When I got my SD card, I then moved everything to the SD card, but I had to move it from ONBOARD to TABLET to SD after changing the default location. The problem is, it doesn't appear to have deleted anything off the ONBOARD storage...

Deandec

Nov 25, 2011
I am having a terminology problem here.

My micro SD card is mounted and seems to be functioning, since when I un-mount the SD card apps will not work.

Selecting Storage in Settings yields four terms Tablet Memory (Default), Onboard Storage 2.4GB, SD Storage 14.83GB , Internal Storage 756 MB.

I can change the Default storage location between Tablet Memory or Micro SD Card.

When the Tablet Memory is selected as the Default, Angry Birds shows as in Onboard Memory and I have the option to Move to Tablet available.

When the Micro SD Card is selected as the Default, Angry Birds shows as on the SD Card and I have the option to Move to Tablet available.

If Onboard Memory is the SD Card then the above makes sense. Yet, I think maybe when the Default is Tablet Memory, the move is between Onboard Memory and App Memory on the Tablet?

Has anyone sorted this out??? (I am having problem with Astro file manager dealing with my micro external SD card which adds to my confustion.)

Cleny95

Dec 10, 2011
Basically the hc update changes the mount point so what was sd internal is now sd external. Just fire up astro and click on sd external and look at the directory bar on the top and you will see it shows the mount point as sd_internal. This is what rooted users did to fake out the original os and get more storage usable / space

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Tapatalk