Stylus---Why so rare?

Ybrevi

Jun 26, 2011
I've searched the forums for answers to this, so please point me there if already covered.

With all the new tablets, i am amazed that so few come stylus capable. I understand this might be due to capacitive screen issues, but it seems like it would be an inherent value to tablet use. Do manufacturers believe that cool apps and media delivery are the limits for tablet use?

I loved my old Palm devices, because I could use them as notepads, because I lose paper notes so easily. Similarly, i would find it a great advantage to be able to bring a tablet with a good stylus and handwriting recognition to meetings instead of a paper notepad. I've used a Toshiba Protege notebook for this (with Windows Tablet XP), but soon gave up on this due to dreadful battery life.

Anyone have a take on this, and/or could provide a list of available or upcoming tablets with good stylus support?

Huckie

Jun 26, 2011
I've searched the forums for answers to this, so please point me there if already covered.

With all the new tablets, i am amazed that so few come stylus capable. I understand this might be due to capacitive screen issues, but it seems like it would be an inherent value to tablet use. Do manufacturers believe that cool apps and media delivery are the limits for tablet use?

I loved my old Palm devices, because I could use them as notepads, because I lose paper notes so easily. Similarly, i would find it a great advantage to be able to bring a tablet with a good stylus and handwriting recognition to meetings instead of a paper notepad. I've used a Toshiba Protege notebook for this (with Windows Tablet XP), but soon gave up on this due to dreadful battery life.

Anyone have a take on this, and/or could provide a list of available or upcoming tablets with good stylus support?

Capacitance stylus aren't really that rare. After all, there's the Boxwave, The Dagi, The Griffin, The PoGo, The Targus, and dozens of others, all not worth anymore than a very bright and yellow hole in the snow. What you meant to say was, why are the good stylus, so rare. An answer a company called stylus-r-us figured out by making a stylus tip that doesn't require any pressure at all, unlike all of these other foam tip rip-offs. To-date, I bought the Stylus-r-us BIG SCREEN stylus for my XOOM and the Terminator for my Flyer and make no mistake about it, they are everything that strange looking web site says they are. Absolutely awesome. I'm still in awe every time I use them. My screen stays clean. There's no foam squeak or dragging. For note taking and drawing they're unreal. Now if they'd only get a face lift on their web site, it'd be a big difference. But then, what are we all shopping for? I great looking site? Or the best product made. I'm not certain of the URL at the moment but you can Google stylus-r-us and find them.

Last edited:

Ybrevi

Jun 26, 2011
Following up on my first question, and thinking about Huckie's response, led me to more research and the realization that it is not a stylus issue, but a screen issue. The current capacitance screens are designed for touch, and not much else. This article really helped sort this out for me: Use VDM Technology For Better Tablet Handwriting Input It seems as though I'll have to wait until there are tablets available with this technology. In that regard, anyone know of anything out there now, or in the pipeline?