SYNET7LP DS Model??

stingray40

Dec 6, 2011
Ok, I have been able to find anything on this particular model except on Sylvania's website it states that the DS model comes with a camera but does not come with the USB or HDMI ports. I bought this one at Sears on Black Friday, I have not opened it yet, since it it suppose to be my Christmas gift. It states on the box that it has 4 GB internal memory. Did anyone else get one of these and why would it not have any ports on it? Any info appreciated.

petedude

Mar 9, 2011
Ok, I have been able to find anything on this particular model except on Sylvania's website it states that the DS model comes with a camera but does not come with the USB or HDMI ports. I bought this one at Sears on Black Friday, I have not opened it yet, since it it suppose to be my Christmas gift. It states on the box that it has 4 GB internal memory. Did anyone else get one of these and why would it not have any ports on it? Any info appreciated.

Sounds like a design trade-off. . . give you a camera instead of ports, and keep the price the same. Considering we're talking about Digital Gadgets products, I'm not surprised.

What should happen under normal circumstances (one would hope) is that a company would do well enough on earlier models that they could include a few new features on later models and still keep the same price. I imagine support costs are eating Digital Gadgets alive at the moment, thus the trade-off.

stingray40

Dec 6, 2011
I don't mind that there is not a HDMI port, but I would like to have had a USB port to be able to conect to an external keyboard at some time.

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Providing as much detail about the device in question usually will generate more discussion and further insight. Specifically, it would have been beneficial to know the Hardware Id "hwver" for this tablet. It seems this information is clearly printed on the box.

$DS127012.JPG

H/W ID# 12.7.0.12
S/N# SYNET7LP-DS098-004298
$HW_DS127012.jpg

Using this information along with previously posted information on how Digital Gadgets is now providing updates produces the following GET command -

Code:
http://dg-support2a.com/sysup.php?data=12.7.0.12&vcode=0
Note the new update server but the rest of the string remains the same only substituting the Hardware Id "hwver".

This results in the following text string which includes the current "vcode" (Version Code) followed by the pipe symbol "|" and then the InfoTM Update Wrap file url.
Code:
[URL="http:// http://dg-support2a.com/update/12.7.0.12/P7901UC_Android_458764.ius"]107|http://dg-support2a.com/update/12.7.0.12/P7901UC_Android_458764.ius[/URL]

The update wrap file contains the following images -

Code:
Company: InfoTM
Board: error
FileNum: 1.7.0.12.1.1
Size 59 MB

Image List:
U0 (259 K) U-Boot-nand.bin 2009.08 (11 e6 9c 88 01 2011 - 17:19:15)
RD (170 KB)
LK (2328.5 KB)
ADR_USER (8.5 KB)
ADR_AS (58158 KB)

Further investigation of the images will provide further detail and insight to this new version of tablet.

CAUTION: Using the incorrect update file, specifically burning the wrong U0 "u-boot-nand.bin" image, will cause irreparable damaged (brick) the tablet.

Last edited:

stingray40

Dec 6, 2011
Thanks for all that information, though most of it is beyond my knowledge of tablets. The picture though is the one I have. I was just wondering how new this model is and why they decided not to put any kind of ports on it??

jmbach

Dec 13, 2011
Hello all,

I just have one of these tablets. Out of the box it does not recognise the microSD card. Everytime I insert it it states initializing and then states can remove SD card. Trying to download any apps and istall it states not enough memory.

I have attempted to do the two different resets described elsewhere on this board but have not been able to reset the device this way. Going through settings and resetting the device does not resolve the issue. Any other suggestions or advice before I call support. Was trying to give this as a christmas gift but it does not look like it is going to happen if I cannot resolve this without sending it in.

H/W ID# 12.7.0.12
Model# SYNET7LP-DS
Android Version: DG2.20
Firmware ID: DG2.2.1-7C3.B5

Last edited:

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Hello all,

I just have one of these tablets. Out of the box it does not recognise the microSD card. Everytime I insert it it states initializing and then states can remove SD card. Trying to download any apps and istall it states not enough memory.

I have attempted to do the two different resets described elsewhere on this board but have not been able to reset the device this way. Going through settings and resetting the device does not resolve the issue. Any other suggestions or advice before I call support. Was trying to give this as a christmas gift but it does not look like it is going to happen if I cannot resolve this without sending it in.

H/W ID# 12.7.0.12
S/N# SYNETLP-DS098
Welcome to the forum!

Use a micro SD card adapter and view the contents of the micro SD on your computer.

Please describe how the card is formatted, size described on the label and then the size as reported on the computer, the contents if any on the card.

If any files exist, post the files for inspection.

It seems that Digital Gadgets may have shipped some devices with micro SD cards formatted to update the device. Save this card for investigation.

Try another micro SD card formatted in another device such as a phone or camera.

Post the results.

jmbach

Dec 13, 2011
Thanks for the quick reply cfrockit!

There was no MicroSD card with the unit.
The unit prepares the card but never mounts it. When I view the SD card on the computer is empty. It is FAT32 format. 16gb card formatted to 14.8

The card formats on my other two android devices. Even after formatting in another device the unit just trie to mount it then states it is okay to remove.

On another attempt, I got a LOST.DIR but it still did not mount the sdcard.

Last edited:

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Use another micro SD card. A quick search will result in a few posts on various types and brands that work and others that do not.

Sent from my MiniTab using Android Tablet Forum

jmbach

Dec 13, 2011
I have tried SanDisk, PQI, and PNY without success. 1gb, 2gb, 4gb, 16gb cards. High capacity and non high capacity cards. No go on all. Called Digital Gadgets several times before talking to someone. Stated that only non high capacity sd cards will work in it. They suggested to return it or RMA it. Might try to reflash it since I cannot find a way to do a hard reset. Ask Digital Gadgets about a hard reset and they said it could not be done. Anybody able to do a hard reset on this model?

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Called Digital Gadgets several times before talking to someone. Stated that only non high capacity sd cards will work in it.
Highly doubt this since tested and working 16 GB HC in original SYNET7LP.
They suggested to return it or RMA it.
Do it since it will probably NOT be the last time it needs servicing/replacement.
Might try to reflash it since I cannot find a way to do a hard reset.
If it doesn't go well under their current policy it will not be repaired/replaced.
Ask Digital Gadgets about a hard reset and they said it could not be done. Anybody able to do a hard reset on this model?
They all have some combination of key pressess. The screen is considered a button as well. Generally it's all three for some period of time, some notification, a quick release of two and then either the tablet will burn a backup of the system image or bring up a menu where you can select to perform a "factory reset"

PS Just did a quick check of the U0 "u-boot-nand.bin" image that is included in the InfoTMIC Update Wrap (.ius) file and a reset function is clearly programmed you just need to find the key press combination.

Code:
Checking recovery key state ...
Doing recovery ...
Press the required keys if you want to apply a factory reset.
Please press the required key again to apply a factory reset ...
System will boot normally in %d seconds ...
Time out... boot normally!
Getting recovery image ...
0:1
zSYS.img
Recovery failed due to no availiable image is found.
Try to recover from SD card.
No recovery image is found, try recover from SD.
Extracting recovery data ...
Decompress Error
Extracting data failed, please check your zSYS.img.
Rewriting file system ...
Burn system data failed.
Invaid file system, please check your zSYS.img.
Burn system data completed.
Recovery OK !
System will boot in %d seconds ...

Last edited:

stingray40

Dec 6, 2011
Since this model does not have a USB port does anyone know if I could possibly hook up a keyboard through the headphone jack?? I have seen a headphone jack to female USB port cable on the internet and was wondering if that might work??

cfrockit

Dec 26, 2010
Since this model does not have a USB port does anyone know if I could possibly hook up a keyboard through the headphone jack?? I have seen a headphone jack to female USB port cable on the internet and was wondering if that might work??
Probably not. The InfoTMIC firmwares all reference bluetooth so with the removal of the USB ports it was probably planned to be bluetooth compatible for file transfer and external devices such as keyboard but the either never added the hardware or completed the software build to support. Once the tablet breaks, crack it open for inspection and see if there are traces of possible bluetooth inclusion.

PS Have you found a key combination with Power, Back, Volume to reset the tablet?

stingray40

Dec 6, 2011
Probably not. The InfoTMIC firmwares all reference bluetooth so with the removal of the USB ports it was probably planned to be bluetooth compatible for file transfer and external devices such as keyboard but the either never added the hardware or completed the software build to support. Once the tablet breaks, crack it open for inspection and see if there are traces of possible bluetooth inclusion.

PS Have you found a key combination with Power, Back, Volume to reset the tablet?

Actually I have not even open it up yet. It is my Christmas present and I have to wait to open it then, according to the wife.

jlirgg

Dec 23, 2011

You're a life saver the key combo you mention worked for me same sylvania tablet with no usb port. Power, back, volume, then when prompted press them all again.