Tab3 7.0 Not Charging

luizsalomon

Oct 8, 2013
Hello there.
I own a Tab3 7.0, model SM-T210R, 8GB, Android 4.1.2.
Yesterday I tried using it and it didn't turn on. Dead battery. So I plugged in the charger to re-charge the battery.
But, I noticed it wasn't charging. Since I have some other hundred of other chargers (and an extra original Samsung Tab3) and cables, I tried the obvious. No success with any of them.
I tried the charger on my other Tab3 and it worked OK. I tried the charger and cables on my phone, and it was OK.
So, I went to the internet for some information and found only people talking about charger and cables and restoring the factory settings. Nothing really useful.
I found one thread that said to use the computer's USB port. I am an electrical engineer and that answer, for me, was the most outminded one.
Theoretically, it really doesn't matter if you are using a wall charger or a USB port. The current output of a USB is limited to 500mA (as with a wall charger). So, if the battery of the tab (or any other device) is really discharged, it couldn't even draw more current, causing the USB port to shutdown. A low current charger would only charge the battery more slowly. Saying that, in my personal, technical, wise, all-of-the-above experience, that would be my last choice of power supply.
I don't believe in witches, but they do exist; and, since nothing else worked and it was late at night, I plugged the Tab to the computer's USB port and let it lie there overnight. What harm could happen???
For my surprise (and to remind me that I know less each day), the tab display showed the battery icon half full.
At this point I could turn on the device.
I also plugged in the wall charger, but the battery still wasn't charging, and no indication of a charger being plugged. I plugged back the cable attached to the computer's USB port, but no charge indication.
Since I had about 22% of battery, I made a "factory reset", going into the boot menu (pressing UP volume button, main button and power button, releasing the power button when the Samsung logo appeared).
Still the same thing.
I also noticed that when I plug in the USB cable, the computer doesn't recognize the device.
On other thing that I noticed is that, when the device is off and charger is plugged, you can see the display trying to light on but turns off after a second or so. It repeats this same situation with all the other types of chargers.

Right now I am discharging the device to see if I can repeat the procedure I made last night.

Making a long story short: any suggestions?

I will keep you guys posted about my progress.

Last edited:

luizsalomon

Oct 8, 2013
To keep you updated:
When I plugged the USB cable to the computer to check if the device was recognized by the computer, I forgot to unplug it.
At the time, the battery charge status was around 14%.
Now, I noticed it was around 16%, even though it is says "Connect your charger" and the battery icon doesn't show the little plug.
So, the device IS charging very slowly, but says it is not.

Still, the same problem...
10/09/2013 - The charging wasn't happening. I believe it was just an adjustment that the device made. Anyway, I tried this last night to repeat the charging of the device through the computer USB with no success.

Last edited:

MeteuBro

Mar 9, 2014
Having a similar problem, does it look like the Micro USB port is pushed in more than it should?

luizsalomon

Oct 8, 2013
Not really. I've tested with different cables and problems persists.
Today it's working Ok.
Sometimes it takes two days plugged in to start charging.
Problem happens every time battery charge drops below 10%.

TJ34

Sep 14, 2014
I purchased a Samsung 3 7.0 last Christmas and it worked fine until I let the battery run down and then I could not recharge it. Like you, I tried different cables, tried charging through my laptop - nothing.. I eventually took it to a repair centre and they advised that the motherboard was gone so it would cost as much to repair as to replace. Unfortunately I had removed the back of the tablet and therefore stupidly voided my warranty. I purchased a new 3 7.0 six weeks ago and after 30 days it started overheating badly. Samsung took the product for repair and I received it back on Friday saying that the USB conn had been replaced. However, I tried to set up the tablet after the factory re-set and I couldn't get through the stages of set-up without the tablet hanging half way through. After 3 phone calls to Samsung and much aggro, they finally agreed to take it back to the repair centre. Is there any body out there having so many problems with their Samsung tablets. I for one, have lost all faith in them - and a lot of money as well. One tablet was only 6 months old and the other 30 days old when they started playing up. I am currently still without a working tablet.

sandman78504

Dec 14, 2014
Just had same thing happen to me. left without charging for about six months and won't take charge . thought about usb and will try that tonite

stone Max

Feb 14, 2015
My Samsung 3 Tablet is 1yr old. It won't charge or turn on anymore. After all of the research,
is how to fix it. I am not that savvy and don't want to make any mistakes trying to rig it back into shape. I'm very upset about having a $3H device that is a throw away after 1yr. I guess Samsung is now like IBM, Dell, Compaq and the rest who start out with great quality and goodwill and then provide qualicrap due to greedywill. Is there a reputable place to ship it to for service without getting ripped off?