Tablet and Movies

travel1191

Jan 20, 2012
Just getting into the tablet world and have a general question. I have movies stored in an external memory box that are in MP4 format. Can I move these to a tablet for viewing? I currently have a Itouch and use Itunes to do this. I am thinking of getting a Toshiba Thrive and need to know that all the movies I have can be easily moved to Thrive. Any info will help!

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Travel, welcome to the forum. I'm moving your thread to the Toshiba Thrive forum to see if anyone there can help you out.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Generally speaking movies can be easily moved to Android tablets. The Thrive should be no different.

jbenham

Official ATF App Tester
Oct 25, 2011
Remember, a two hour movie takes up about 2 gb of memory. Did you want to transfer movies to the internal memory or watch them from the SD card?

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Android Tablet Forum

travel1191

Jan 20, 2012
I have the movies stored on my external and would probably put them on the card. Like I said - this is all new to me so any suggestion on how to do this would be appreciated. Right now I have a 16g Itouch that I load up (will hold about 8 movies) before I travel. I would like to do the same with a tablet - so I would make sure I have a large card. Hope this makes sense. Do you just drag and drop the movie on the external to the card? Sorry I sound so dense about this. :(

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You have two options 1. put movies on the internal memory or 2. put the movies on one or more SD cards. If you get a 32GB SD card you could put 16 movies on it using your current file sizes. Alternatively you could get 2 16 GB SD cards and put 8 movies on each and rotate the movies and cards as necessary. That is one of the nice things about most Android tablets these days in that you aren't stuck with what you put on the internal memory.

Yes you would essentially put the files on the SD card by dragging and dropping them there. To do this you can use a card reader hooked up to the pc. Insert the SD card and drag and drop the files. Alternatively you can insert the card into the tablet and connect the tablet to the PC with a usb cable. The PC should then show you the SD card at which point you drag an drop the files onto the card. I see that the Thrive also has a full size USB port so you could probably play the movie from a USB drive or possibly insert the USB drive with movies and copy them to an SD card you also have inserted into the tablet. All variations of the drag and drop idea. How you do it is up to you.

One thing I see is that the supported video types are MPEG4, H.263, H.264 so you may need to convert the videos from mp4 to one of these formats or download a player from the Market that supports mp4 playback. Mobo is one popular example of such a player https://market.android.com/details?id=com.mobo.video.player.arm5&hl=en.

travel1191

Jan 20, 2012
J515OP - Thank you so much! your answer was complete and helped me also! I appreciate the detail! :)