tablet does not switch on

adom

Oct 14, 2011
i bought my acer a500 5 weeks ago,
till last week it worked perfectly. last week it discharged and i plugged it in for charging.
i chraged my tablet over night.
next morning i switched it on it started off, then for no reason it got stuck on the acer sign when it switches on.
i turned it off and on a few times and press the reset button!

can you please help me
adom :confused:

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Are you sure the outlet it was plugged into had power?

There have been other reports of the tablet getting stuck at some low percentage (around 15%) and
never charging any further. I think most of these people had to do a factory reset or send it in for repair.

I would call Acer support.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
When you plug in to a power source the power up button goes red/orange if it is charging. If the power up button is white/blue then the tab is fully charged. A suggestion try not to run the power in the battery lower than 15% and then leave your tab uncharged - this will kill the battery. For battery long life most battery manufacturers suggest that you charge the battery when it reaches between 40-70%. I can actually quote that text if you want.

spexwood

May 11, 2011
i bought my acer a500 5 weeks ago,
till last week it worked perfectly. last week it discharged and i plugged it in for charging.
i chraged my tablet over night.
next morning i switched it on it started off, then for no reason it got stuck on the acer sign when it switches on.
i turned it off and on a few times and press the reset button!

can you please help me
adom :confused:

First, how long are you waiting at the Acer logo?
I'm only asking because I have helped people in the past who didn't understand how long the logo stays on the screen. They thought their tablet wasn't booting when they actually were forcefully shutting it off before it could finish starting.

Second, were you rooted and/or running a custom firmware that was not installed via the tablet's update service?

Third, I want you to try this:
Try turning the tablet on while still plugged in (don't remove the charger). As Douvie said, the power button should light up red/orange if charging. It may sound extreme, but when the Acer logo comes up, wait 5 minutes (this is overkill, but I am suggesting it for a reason). If the tablet still doesn't get past the logo, then perform a reset (not to be confused with a factory reset) by sticking a paperclip in the tiny hole in the side of the lower right corner of the tablet (next to the USB slot). Repeat the startup process just described.

If the reset doesn't make the tablet start, then Acer needs to be contacted. It is probably a hardware or software issue and should be covered by warranty.

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

spexwood

May 11, 2011
Oops, I was thinking of the Android logo when I said that the Acer logo takes a while.
Still though, try my suggestion and see what happens. If the tablet starts after 5 minutes, then all should be OK.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
yep everything spexwood said is true - give it a try. Another suggestion is for next time you charge your tab - don't leave it plugged in overnight - A500 should be fully charged in approx 2 hours. Leaving it overnight can actually dammage it. This applies for any rechargeable device. You can leave it plugged in while using it. Only gripe cable a bit short.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Another suggestion is for next time you charge your tab - don't leave it plugged in overnight - A500 should be fully charged in approx 2 hours. Leaving it overnight can actually dammage it. This applies for any rechargeable device. You can leave it plugged in while using it.

Nah,Douvie, that's old information hanging around from the NiCad era.

Modern devices can safely be left on the charger over night, over the weekend, or for weeks on end. You simply
do not need to babysit any modern Li-Poly device.

Lithium Poly batteries should never allowed to trickle charge. Doing so would be dangerous. Therefore all modern
charging controllers totally cut off when the battery is full, and usually won't start charging again till the battery is down 5% or so.

No consumer electronics will be harmed by leaving it on the charger that it was sold with. Consumer safety and battery protection
is built in, because otherwise the manufacturers wouldn't be able to stand the liability lawsuits. The chipset takes care of all of
this for you. You never need to worry about over-charging modern Li-Poly.

The manufacturers all agree that long term storage is best done with the device OFF and the battery half full.
It will last months that way. (That's generally how they are shipped from the factory).

But leaving it on the charger over night or for a week will not harm it or reduce its life. Some devices are sold
with docks. The docks supply power all the time. Each device has a charging controller embedded which makes
sure life on the dock does not harm the device.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
But have you noticed the "heat" build up. This will damaged the device. Heat is the enemy of any ele tronic device. I seem to remember a problem with a certain DELL laptop that burned a hole in the desk and APPLE doing a recall on certain batteries. Also nokia doing a recall on mobile phone batteries. I'll dig the info on LI-ION and NIMH. I was not even considering NICAD.

selvaa

Mar 10, 2012
"
First, how long are you waiting at the Acer logo?
I'm only asking because I have helped people in the past who didn't understand how long the logo stays on the screen. They thought their tablet wasn't booting when they actually were forcefully shutting it off before it could finish starting.

Second, were you rooted and/or running a custom firmware that was not installed via the tablet's update service?

Third, I want you to try this:
Try turning the tablet on while still plugged in (don't remove the charger). As Douvie said, the power button should light up red/orange if charging. It may sound extreme, but when the Acer logo comes up, wait 5 minutes (this is overkill, but I am suggesting it for a reason). If the tablet still doesn't get past the logo, then perform a reset (not to be confused with a factory reset) by sticking a paperclip in the tiny hole in the side of the lower right corner of the tablet (next to the USB slot). Repeat the startup process just described.

If the reset doesn't make the tablet start, then Acer needs to be contacted. It is probably a hardware or software issue and should be covered by warranty.

"

HI
i have left my tab with low battery and it got dried up fully..
after a week i try to charge and stert up..
but its its not booting at al... the Logo ACER jsut flashes and goes off in 1 second.

whicxh will stand for atelast few sec on a normal boot up.
pls help me... i tries reset also..but no use.. wat shd i do..

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
""

HI
i have left my tab with low battery and it got dried up fully..
after a week i try to charge and stert up..
but its its not booting at al... the Logo ACER jsut flashes and goes off in 1 second.

whicxh will stand for atelast few sec on a normal boot up.
pls help me... i tries reset also..but no use.. wat shd i do..

Yeah, you have killed the battery. I've seen a few dead batteries in other rechargable devices.

You have 2 options:

1) Send your tablet in for repair or warranty exchange-over.

2) Open the tablet up and change the battery. Will void warranty.

Other than that buy an new tablet and don't make the same mistake again. :(