Tablet for dedicated GPS unit

FatBoyJon

Mar 13, 2011
Hi,
New to the forum and am looking for some help.
I off-road a lot in Jeeps and ATV's and mostly use a handheld GPS unit (small screen). I was wondering if I can download Google Earth to a Tablet and then use it for routing and tracking along the trails (real time GPS). Would I have the full use of Google Earth like on my laptop? Would I be able to download my Delorme mapware on it too and track with it? I can do this with my laptop and an external antenna just not sure if Tablets are capable.

I'm looking at this route because NO ONE makes a large screen GPS unit that I can use Google Earth or Delorme with.

Sure apprerciate any help! Thanks!!

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
There is Google Maps with satellite view, but it requires pre-downloaded maps or an always available internet connection. Android uses different map software. Offline maps usually cost extra.

Only a few Android tablets come with GPS on the market. The cost of owning a tablet integrated GPS is not necessarily justified. You need to figure out a budget.

jsuber

Jul 31, 2010
I use the Samsung Galaxy Tab with the window mount and the Google Navigation system but it does not record tracks. Maptech also has a free app and there may be maps you can dowload from DL or Garmon but I use coastal water maps and have never looked for the topology type maps.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

FatBoyJon

Mar 13, 2011
I've been considering the Galaxy.....I'll have to read up on it some more. All this for a big screen off-road GPS!! Thanks for your input, much appreciated!

C3P0

May 7, 2011
Hi, I have posted a similar inquiry here, about the possibility of using a GPS Tablet (like the Galaxy) to get position from GPS on cached satellite images, while offline. In case this thread is visited by more people interested in GPS tracking and navigation, perhaps they answer my thread as well. Thanks.