Tablet Showdown: Google Nexus 7 vs Microsoft Surface vs Apple iPad 3

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
By Saket on June 29th, 2012

The launch of Nexus 7 by Google has set the tablet industry ablaze, not for producing a super cheap tablet, but for packing in a fully featured tablet for a small price tag of $199. So let’s see how well does it stack up against the new iPad, the current undisputed king of the tablet world and Microsoft’s own Surface, which was released just two weeks back.

Comparison: Google Nexus 7 vs Microsoft Surface vs Apple iPad 3
Spec
Nexus 7Microsoft SurfaceNew iPad
Operating SystemAndroid 4.1 Jelly BeanWindows 8iOS 6
Display7” 1280×800 IPS Display10.6” ClearType HD Display9.7” 2048×1536 IPS Display
Camera1.2MP front camera
5MP rear and 0.3MP front camera​
Memory1 GB RAM
Unknown​
1 GB RAM​
Storage8GB and 16GB32GB, 64GB for Surface RT and 64GB, 128GB for Surface Pro16GB, 32GB and 64GB
CPUQuad-core Nvidia Tegra 3 processor
Nvidia ARM processor on Surface RT and Intel iCore i5 on Surface Pro​
1.0 Ghz Dual-core Apple A5X processor​
Connectivity
  • WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
  • Bluetooth
  • MicroUSB
  • NFC
  • GPS
Surface RT is WiFi Only while Surface Pro will be WiFi + 3G/4G LTE
  • WiFi 802.11 b/g/n/a
  • Bluetooth
  • MicroUSB
  • HDMI
  • 3G/4G
Misc.
  • Google now
  • Play Music
  • Play Magazines
  • Play Books
  • Play Movies

• Office
  • Touch Cover
  • Pen with Palm Block

• Siri
  • Newstand
  • Game Center
  • Photo Booth
Dimensions198.5 x 120 x 10.45mmUnknown241.2 x 185.7 x 9.4 mm
Thickness10.45mmSurface RT – 9.3mm
Surface Pro – 13.5mm
9.5mm
Battery4325 mAh (Upto 8 hours of active use)Unknown11560 mAh (Upto 10 hours of active use)

Verdict

This ‘pure Google experience’ tablet has fragmented the tablet market into two sections — The premium section led by the iPad and the Affordable section for which the Nexus 7 has been made for.

In the upcoming 6-7 months, I’m pretty sure that the Nexus 7 will cover a significant tablet market share by focusing sorely on the ‘Affordable’ section while iPad will undoubtedly remain the king of the ‘Premium’ section. The real challenge will certainly be felt by the Microsoft Surface, which will have a tough time trying to enter in a market that exists between these two sections.

Starblock

Jun 18, 2012
i agree with you spider... if a consumer wants to have a "flashy" tablet then go for iPad... however, he's looking for a cheaper yet still reliable unit, Nexus 7 can be the ideal tab.... With it's price, you can be sure that you are not going to get low quality tab such as tabs manufactured from well, ahmmm you-know-where... >.<

Kingsman

Oct 31, 2011
My first tablet was a bit on the cheesy side of quality. My present Upgraded Zenithink C91 is an amazing piece of quality gear that is already cheaper than the Nexus,, and compares very favorably with the Ipad in terms of quality and performance.