Tablet Tower Defense - my first game on android

reiti.net

Dec 8, 2011
I've just finished a release version of my first android game ever. I love Tower Defense Games but never was really satisfied with the ones available on the market - so, just made one myself!

There is only a demo available because it is my first game and i want to be sure that it will work on users devices too before releasing any other version. I was fairly inspired by other Tower Defense Games like zDefense and also i loved the hex-grid-layout. So, let me introduce!
update v1.2: now works on all screen sizes

aWgjWjnjxDbrHJAjzxYcvmzm6y90eKA52O6JHIsaO9To8OPWy61NxsbckRuQFmfxB6k

The whole game starts completely generic, there are no pre-made levels. There is the grid, there are blocked fields and there are the creeps. And you .. and you can build towers .. which are shooting at creeps. That's not exactly what I call mindbreaking new .. it's just Tower Defense as someone would except :)

The Blocked Fields are a little special because every 10th wave (where the creeps got more health) you will get a token which can be used to transform such a blocked field into a walkable field with some special features: making damage, making extra credits and so on.

On the other hand - if a creep will reach the red field (and they truly want to reach it) a random blocked field will be transformed - but gets evil so you lose money or they gather healthpoints. It's kinda tricky because such a transformation can suddenly break your defense.

If a creep reaches the end and there are no more blocked fields left, you lose and the game is over.

I would love if there are some TD Fans which want to try my demo out and tell me what you think of it - maybe it's crap, then tell me why, i'll try to fix it and so on :)

The demo is available at android market, fully playable but capped at level 10 - there is no sound atm and the game needs a resolution of 1280x800 px.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.rnet.tabdef

Was fun to tell you about it :)

Last edited:

Rafiki2085

Dec 9, 2011
I will try this out when I get home and have access to my Asus Transformer and will edit with the results.

Edit: I installed the app and it wouldn't start because it said the app was not installed.

Last edited:

reiti.net

Dec 8, 2011
thx for your reply!

I looked over that and found out, that i got the same problem, when starting from home screen (starting from market works for whatever reason) .. there was some wierdness with permissions and i fixed it - now it works for me in every case (asus TF101).

Be sure to get v1.2.1 from market (need a little time until they update) that should fix it.

many thanks for your report :)

Rafiki2085

Dec 9, 2011
I will download and try again.
Edit with results....

Edit: I can play the game now. Its interesting because the paths can always change, makes it more interesting. The Graphics should be improved at some point. I would recommend more informaiton on the towers and things. Maybe if you click and hold a pop up of information about that space / object comes up. Also I'm not sure the "power ups" are working, I tried to place a few of them and I didnt see any changes, like from the money one. So more information on how each of the towwers work would be very helpful.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

reiti.net

Dec 8, 2011
Glad to hear, that it works now :)

I agree, that there have to be more help for the field-types and i think the towers need differnt colors especially the freeze and damage tower are looking very equal .. until i've included better help techniques it would be best to write it down here for the first:

Field Types (in good/bad manner)

Speed Field: Halfes/Doubles the speed of creeps
Health Field: Minus/Plus 1 Health while over field (its time fixed)
Powerup Field: Doubles/Halfes the power of nearby towers
Money Field: Plus/Minus 1/10th of credit per creep

Towers:

Blaster: Single Shot per creep
Laser: Damages all creeps which are touched
Rocket: Damages range of creeps on impact
Damage: Harms passing creeps
Freeze: Slows down passing creeps

(every upgrade increases the "power" of the tower by 100%)

Because of how the fields and towers are balanced some of the effects can be quite hard to detect when creep-level is high - there's always a need to think a little bit ahead ;-) You will only get 1 credit per creep (regardless of their level) so there is a true need for the special fields - for this case the money field, to get some extra credits.

Last edited:

Rafiki2085

Dec 9, 2011
That helps a lot.

I can understand with a 1/10 of a credit why I never noticed the extra credits.
Everything looks good other then the Health and the Credits Fields they seem very weak for costing a Token since you dont have that many of them. The other two types seem more balanced for there cost and usage. Just my opinion :).

Colors for the towers would be a HUGE help along with the tool tips.

Also whenever one of the "blocked" fields gets taken away there needs to be some kind of animation or something more noticable for the play to see that the map changed and where, again just my opinion .

I have made it to level 10 and looking forward to more.

One other idea I had was to make a level editor and the ability to share levels. The random levels are great but being able to design levels is always fun as well, and some way to share when would be great if possible.

Keep up the good work.

If you ever want to talk in real time send me a PM and we can work something out as I have worked on android apps before and write code for a living.

Edit: I just noticed that everything says they will go from Blue to Red, but its the other way around, they go from red to blue.

Last edited:

reiti.net

Dec 8, 2011
During development or better: during testing i discovered mainly the same issues as you but i really wanted to push out a version before, so i know i am doing the android thing right and the game works :)

So i will add the missing features like color and some animations as soon as possible along with some more info-related content.

I tought of level editor right when i started to make this game and it isnt that hard to make but theres a lot of work to make them shareable .. so i decided to leave that for a future version (with much bigger battlefields, scrollable n multiplayer) .. but that's future :)

Currently I am working on another game for android too but have to do other projects as well (my income) so .. time is not my friend ;-) bigger projects (like the editor n multiplayer) would only be possible if there is some revenue .. or i got rich elsewhere - haha

thanks for your opinions! I will post here, when a new version is out (shouldnt take that long)

Rafiki2085

Dec 9, 2011
I look forward to the future versions.

Also I'm assuming that it will auto update or at lest tell me when a new version is out or does that take something more to get the market to do that?

If you ever want a partner for working on the bigger additions I would love to work on more android projects as I love coding, I'm just not that creative as far as coming up with a new idea and thus never started my own. :)

reiti.net

Dec 8, 2011
The idea of a tower defense game is not exactly what i would call "creativly new" .. :) You should just start an simple idea - in my case the idea of the blocked fields was coming up during development and wasnt there in the first place.

Normally market will send updates - but i dont know how soon .. it needs also some time until market has the new update generally visible - syncing around i think.

I just uploaded a new version: colored towers, more help screens and a flashing warning for new bad fields. i am sure tomorrow market will show it up (v1.2.2)

..personally i dont like colors so much, but in this case hopefully it helps pick the right tower :)

I'll file your contact for future projects :-D honestly .. i am bad at making graphics .. :) i would need a gfx designer for many ideas i have ;-)

PS: I've thrown the full version to the market too, maybe one or two want it ;-p

Last edited:

reiti.net

Dec 8, 2011
HI Guys

We just released another Update today - now Tablet Tower Defense is also available for Devices (currently the demo, full version is following) with Android Version 2.2 or higher. Please remember, that this game was designed for bigger screens, so just try the demo first to see if it fits your needs :)

Have Fun!

reiti.net

Dec 8, 2011
Tablet Tower Defense reached the next level and is now supporting global highscores - you can now compare your scores online all over the world - you can decide yourself if you want to use that service, because it will need the READ_CONTACTS permission - the system is demanding it, so I have no influence on that. It is used to add cour friends in scoreloop (the highscore system used)

There were also some bugs fixed and the UI was cleaned up a bit. Enjoy the game - please go for the google play version because it's up to date ;-)

There is still a free version available but also (if you do not like ads) an adfree version also.