Tablets: Let the explosion begin!!

MarkWF1

Jun 5, 2011
New to the site,showed up officially a couple days ago. Been lurking for quite some time now and just signed up. I'm an avid fan of Google and Droid. I cover many tech subjects on my FB page. Including anything that has to do with the Music industry and tech. Needles to say I've been keenly aware of what was going to... Is happening with the tablet market since it began.. For those that don't know it yet, the explosion is just beginning. I find watching markets such as tech and the internet as a whole very interesting. For myself I've been on the net before there was a net. This is my second hobby and has been for quite some time now. So with this in mind.

Get Ready For The Explosion!!

I was just down at Best buy, which I have been off and on for the last few weeks, every other day or so.. See my intro post. The new Galaxy tab 10.1 is due out in the next couple of days. (I will be down there first thing in the morning in the hopes to catch it on display.) When I went into Best Buy today, there Tablet Display area was empty, Gone!

After talking to the guys I found out there re-merchandising the area tonight. One of the guys said they will have twenty different Tablets on display in the next few weeks and anticipate at least thirty by end of year.. This will lead to much consumer confusion and places like this will be hopping beyond compare. I hope you guys are ready for the flood, You ain't seen nothing yet..

For myself I will be chiming in with comments slanted towards my interest. 1st the device I end up getting will have to be one of my interest of course. Probably the Galaxy tab 10.1 but I may wait just to see what happens in the coming months.

Secondly, for those following my posting. Will be the topics I mentioned before.. Media Markets. Meaning Music, Movies, Gaming, the emerging cloud services and all the other emerging markets that will and are emerging now to accommodate this major explosion.

I predict many changes and interesting ventures to come in the next couple of years, with this explosion.. Just for one example, was the posting on the gaming cloud service that just hit the other day. Were you can play and game on many different devices.. This looks to be a major game changer for the big three locked in gaming consoles out on the market now. Depending on how good this service is. Will have to wait and see what happens with this one.

So look for a huge influx of people to the board in the coming weeks guys, there coming believe me..

Yours through the screen

MarkWF1 :cool:

morrighu

Jun 3, 2011
Problems I see with tablets and smart phones:

1) Privacy - Too many apps have very intrusive privacy settings, well beyond what they need to know who I am or to operate. I'm not sure that all users read them and many of these devices are finding their way into the hands of very young. I know of one 9 year old who has an iPhone. Yet his phone has apps on it that have really invasive privacy policies - mostly things like background image apps - that would never ever be allowed in the privacy policy of a web site geared toward children. If an adult is willing or stupid enough to trade their intimate secrets for a set of pretty photos to decorate their device with, that's one thing. But children need to be protected.

2) Lost or Stolen - As the devices become increasingly sophisticated and expensive, there is a growing market in lost and stolen devices. Since every cellular aware device has a unique ID, regardless of carrier, I fail to see why a carrier would activate a device that is known to be stolen. Carriers should be refusing to activate them. Anyone trying to activate a stolen device should be arrested. They'd do it for your car. I've seen it happen at the DMV when someone tried to get license plates for a car that had been stolen. They should do it for your phone or tablet, too.

3) More on Stolen Devices - There needs to be a way to remotely wipe these devices. So far, I have not seen that from anyone. It should factory reset the the OS and format the SD card, which would render them all but useless for data theft. This is particularly important for corporate users but it should be available to everyone.

4) Cloud services - Since most of these store the access credentials locally, having physical possession of the device = having access to the cloud services. This really ups the ante for the stolen corporate devices. And how does one keep a user from storing sensitive company data on some less than secure cloud service? Or one that only requires you to click on an icon once it's configured? And what if the cloud service is, in and of itself, malicious? Who polices them? How better to get a lot of data on a lot of people? What would you do if you found out that your password manager application was instead harvesting and selling all the information you put into it?

beastman

May 8, 2011
Lookout offers a option to remotely wipe your device. There's at least one other program.

Sent from my GTablet using Android Tablet Forum

MarkWF1

Jun 5, 2011
There are several, I have Lookout on my phone now. I was also into the subject of malware on phones and some of the other security risk in regards to phone's. Will have to see if I cant dig up a few sites for you, but we are talking tablets here not phones.. ;-)

Edit: Took me all of ten seconds to find a good article on the subject, though running off topic your points are valid.. Enjoy!

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/110...android-mobile-device-symbian-ios-windows.htm

Last edited: