Technical Touchscreen Problem Asus TF300

Mitchonne

Jul 23, 2012
Hello members,

Since one month ive been the proud owner of an Asus TF300.

Since a few weeks ive been experiencing some very annoying problems.

Occassionally when i press on an icon or button it suddenly starts to open up random programs and apps.

Also zooming in on Facebook and stuff really trips my tablet. I find this a very strange and annoying problem.

So in short: problem is that my touchscreen responds very strange and starts to react very crazy.

If somebody knows a solution for this please advise.

Thanks in advance!

Mitchell

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum Mitchell

It could be an app, or a hardware problem. You may want to first try doing a hard reset to clear out any gunk in the system. Unplug from power, turn it off, while holding the volume in the down position hold the power button until you see some white writing upper left corner. then release both buttons. You should see 2 icons on the screen with the right one pulsing. Don't touch anything else and it will restart. You will not lose anything. See if that makes any difference.

Mitchonne

Jul 23, 2012
Welcome to the forum Mitchell

It could be an app, or a hardware problem. You may want to first try doing a hard reset to clear out any gunk in the system. Unplug from power, turn it off, while holding the volume in the down position hold the power button until you see some white writing upper left corner. then release both buttons. You should see 2 icons on the screen with the right one pulsing. Don't touch anything else and it will restart. You will not lose anything. See if that makes any difference.

Hi Leeshor,

Thanks for responding so quickly.

I've done the hard reset for 3x now. Don't seem to get the writing in the upper left corner, but the tablet does shut down and reboot again.

It has not helped unfortunately. I only seem to be getting the problem when i use my touchscreen. When using the keyboard the tablet works just fine.

Especially when i zoom in and out of pictures using my two fingers the tablet starts to get all dodgy. It's like it has a will of its own and starts activating the home button and different ones aswell. I usuallly have the

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Hi Leeshor,

Thanks for responding so quickly.

I've done the hard reset for 3x now. Don't seem to get the writing in the upper left corner, but the tablet does shut down and reboot again.

It has not helped unfortunately. I only seem to be getting the problem when i use my touchscreen. When using the keyboard the tablet works just fine.

Especially when i zoom in and out of pictures using my two fingers the tablet starts to get all dodgy. It's like it has a will of its own and starts activating the home button and different ones aswell. I usuallly have the

If the hard reset is done correctly you WILL see the white text in the upper left corner of the screen. I would try yet again, following the instructions precisely. Beginning from powered sown, not sleeping.

There is no guarantee that will work as it could still be a hardware or app related issue but it's a starting point.

Mitchonne

Jul 23, 2012
If the hard reset is done correctly you WILL see the white text in the upper left corner of the screen. I would try yet again, following the instructions precisely. Beginning from powered sown, not sleeping.

There is no guarantee that will work as it could still be a hardware or app related issue but it's a starting point.

So i did the cold reboot correctly this time. But the tablet still reacts dodgy.

Whilst cold rebooting u also get the option to wipe all data. How will this effect my tablet?

Fyi: i constantly have Avast Mobile security running in the background.

stratokan87

Jul 23, 2012
Hi friends, im a new user in the forums and a prud owner of a "brand new" refurbished :) TF101, my tablet is great, the problem is that my girlfriend has a TF300 (not refurbished), we both buy a tablet, i tought i would have more problems than her in using it but her tablet just has so many problems, first is the massive storage(i think i have to look i another thread :)) but other thing is the screen! She have the same problem as MITCHONNE the creator of the thread, but just when the USB is connected to the PC, the tablet starts to act like it has life, it goes crazy and its impossible to use until i disconnect the USB cable, i did a cold reset and the problem started to happen again when i connected the USB cable to the PC...and well, i just want to know if its a common problem and maybe an software update or fix can do the job to avoid this problem...or if its a hardware problem, beacuse we are from Bolivia, and a friend brought us the tablets, and he is leaving next week...for givin him back the TF300 and he can make a refund or exchange in the USA...sorry for the english because we talk spanish over here :) and other question...maybe rooting the TF300 could improve the performance or functioning at all?? or fix that issue?? well thanks in advance.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
So i did the cold reboot correctly this time. But the tablet still reacts dodgy.

Whilst cold rebooting u also get the option to wipe all data. How will this effect my tablet?

Fyi: i constantly have Avast Mobile security running in the background.

The wipe data is the ultimate last resort as it will WIPE everything and put you back to new, (with any updates of Android). You can use the App Backup app that comes with the TF to backup your apps and data first and store them on a microSD card or at least off the internal memory. The trick is that if the problem is app related when setting up your TF300 again you would need to say NO to syncing with Google or the problem would probably return. Then you would need to test it out to see if the problem is resolved before starting to install the old apps, in small batches with restarts and testing between batches.

If it's hardware and you want to exchange it you would probably want to do that factory reset anyway.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Hi friends, im a new user in the forums and a prud owner of a "brand new" refurbished :) TF101, my tablet is great, the problem is that my girlfriend has a TF300 (not refurbished), we both buy a tablet, i tought i would have more problems than her in using it but her tablet just has so many problems, first is the massive storage(i think i have to look i another thread :)) but other thing is the screen! She have the same problem as MITCHONNE the creator of the thread, but just when the USB is connected to the PC, the tablet starts to act like it has life, it goes crazy and its impossible to use until i disconnect the USB cable, i did a cold reset and the problem started to happen again when i connected the USB cable to the PC...and well, i just want to know if its a common problem and maybe an software update or fix can do the job to avoid this problem...or if its a hardware problem, beacuse we are from Bolivia, and a friend brought us the tablets, and he is leaving next week...for givin him back the TF300 and he can make a refund or exchange in the USA...sorry for the english because we talk spanish over here :) and other question...maybe rooting the TF300 could improve the performance or functioning at all?? or fix that issue?? well thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum

That is NOT a common problem at all but I'm wondering if the computer doesn't have something to do with the problem. Do you have another computer you can connect it to in order to eliminate it as the problem?

nnndru

Sep 22, 2012
Unfortunately I have the same problem,and I'm more and more convinced it's the hardware issue. I've done resets reboots and wipes and nothing helps - sometimes the touchscreen gets a life of its own. The thing I've noticed is that it only happens when I'm holding the tablet in my hands - it never happens when it rests on a stand and I'm typing or when it's connected to the keyboard. When I'm holding it and it happens I take the pressure away from the back of the tablet and the behaviour goes back to normal. I believe that this is a matter of the back panel applying pressure to some internal elements. I think I now that a tablet needs a solid metal back and frame like the infinity, not a plastic one. Will probably take it back to the store.

cpaulg

Oct 24, 2012
I had the exact same problem. I tried everything I could find to try. Absolutely nothing worked until I finally figured out what was wrong. I had a bad tablet. Fortunately I still had time for a simple exchange and now, no more problem. At least not with the crazy display behavior.

danibrown421

Apr 12, 2013
I have had my device since Feb. and the touchscreen was never an issue until the Android 4.2.1 update which I was excited for since "421" is my favorite #. Anyways, shortly after the update, I got a mysterious crack in the screen which I thought was the cause of the touch screen madness. ASUS repaired it no problem, as I had no idea how the crack happened and the tablet has never left the protective leather case since I purchased the tablet, keyboard bundle along with the leather case that fits both the tablet & the dock. Once I got it back I expected the problem to be gone. I have had it back in my possession for a week and the issue is back. It seems to only happen during and after Facebook because I have used it pretty much non stop taking notes and doing research and decided to browse FB not on my phone for once. Even after FB was closed, the tablet switched between home screens, apps, and even opened up one of the "app bubbles", went to chrome, and started closing tabs and browsing the pages, zooming in and out. Once I turned off the screen for a moment and then back on, it was functioning normally. I was using it on the dock, so I am not sure if that has anything to do with it. Since the reset has not seemed to help anyone, it could be something else, possibly the new version of Android.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum Danibrown
Based on your explanation as I understand it it sounds like a conflict caused by an app. Figuring out which one may be a problem. When they sent it back from repair had they done a factory reset or had you done one. If you haven't done it it may fix the problem.

danibrown421

Apr 12, 2013
Thanks for the hospitality! As far as I know they did not do a factory reset, there was not any paperwork or feedback from them after my device was shipped. Everything was just how it was when I sent it out. I have not had this issue since the last time I was in this forum. I came back to update that the problem has not returned. I have since then updated Facebook and a few other apps, so maybe whatever it was is fixed?? Oh yea, I almost forgot to mention I applied an Armor Suit Military Shield to the device not long after I posted. Maybe there could have been an issue with the screen and the protector helped? It's a stretch, but it's best to think out of the "device" sometimes.