Tethering to Android Phone

carter5903

Dec 2, 2011
Has anyone had any success tethering their android phone to their Vizio Tablet both unrooted? If so how is it done? Does PdaNet work?

KK

marvin02

Aug 25, 2011
Yes - but I have a non-carrier branded phone. I bought my Dell Streak and Dell Venue direct from Dell unlocked and the portable hotspot feature works on both with the VTAB.

carter5903

Dec 2, 2011
I tried using PdaNet but it doesn't work for me, I got it to connect and recognize each other but had no internet connection. After reading a bit on PdaNet it looks like you would need to root the vizio. Does anyone know how to tether the Vizio to an android phone without rooting?

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
If your phone is not rooted, then you will need to have a plan and the supporting app from the Cellular provider (for example, Verizon has the VZW WiFi HotSpot). If the phone is rooted then you can use something like OpenGarden or WiFi Tether which are available from the market. The tablet does not need to be rooted in either instance.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

mui

Nov 28, 2011
I have a rooted phone with CM7, wireless tether for root didn't work but the CM7's built in tethering works great

carter5903

Dec 2, 2011
I have a Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V and if you download the Quick Setting App you can set the phone as a mobile hotspot.

bkaler

Oct 13, 2011
my phone is rooted, my vizio is now rooted but was previously not, either way it works, the root part is largely dependent on the phone you're going to tether to.

Texano78704

Nov 30, 2011
Has anyone had any success tethering their android phone to their Vizio Tablet both unrooted? If so how is it done? Does PdaNet work?

KK

No. I'm using a custom rom on my rooted Android phone that includes a hot spot widget. I just tried it out and my Vizio tablet connected to it easily. I was able to browse some web pages, it worked fine. Without a rooted phone, you would have to sign up for plan through your provider, as pbrauer mentioned. Sounds like a good reason to root your phone.

bkaler

Oct 13, 2011
just because I'll have the attention of other tether users here, thought I'd ask if anyone has figured out how to link their VTAB to a VPN connection (in my case, openvpn) which is running on my phone, but I cannot seem to connect to my systems through the vtab (however the phone can connect to any services)

I've already tried adding the route on the vtab, still blocked, possibly iptables? or something else?