The best tablet of 2012?

theriel

Jun 9, 2012
Hello,

I have been wondering... which tablet (both already released and soon to be released) would you consider as the best - in terms of quality of production, performance and functionality?

My quick research shows that the main players (highest quality producers) seem to be:
->Samsung
->Asus

... and the most advanced device planned for 2012 is Asus Transformer Pad Infinity.

What do you think?

Thank you for your help and opinion! Any comments highly appreciated!

Best,
Theriel

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Yeah, both Samsung and Asus have a solid track record, and I am excited to see what we get this year. Looks like Acer has some great devices coming out, as well as Toshiba. Of course until we actually get some of these devices in our hands we won't know if they are going to live up to their hype.
I particularly like the way different manufactures aren't just trying to create a one size fits all device, the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 is probably the most interesting to me right now with its digitizer layer and quad core Exynos processor. For me a tablet with effective handwriting recognition would be my grail device, but I know a lot of people wouldn't find it to be all that appealing and would rather have a device with a true HD display.
Not to mention the less expensive Chinese tablets just keep getting better as well. More and more it seems instead of apps people in the Android universe can say "there's a tablet for that!"

theriel

Jun 9, 2012
Thank you for the responses and please keep them coming!

I know it is probably not the best forum to ask these questions expecting objective opinion but... how does the build quality and reliability of these palmtops (e.g. Asus, Android-based) compare to iPad?

I am quite new to the world of palmtops and I don't like the functional limitations of Apple devices and OS (I would never buy apple laptop or PC). However, I have heard quite a few stories about e.g. Asus issuing really sub-par equipment where not all the functions worked properly (hardware manufacturing defects or faulty drivers)... With iPad it seems like there are very few options, but at least the ones you have work!

What have been your feelings and experience? Are the stories just past history regarding old Android devices? Or is there a reason to worry about the reliability and stability? I have been looking for 100% reliable device for a while and there seems to be no easy choice...

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I think that any of the major players (Samsung, Asus, Acer) for any NEW tablets are on par with the iPad.

The Asus TF101 was a bit behind in some respects, but the TF201 and TF300 I think are quite solid. Any new ones should be on par. The Galaxy Tab line is also quite solid, and the Acer Iconias as well.

I would keep an eye on the Transformer Infinity and also the Acer A700/710. I know the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (I was going to rant about the name, but at least it is not the "New Galaxy Tab 10.1") is out and is solid, but it is only Tegra 2, no full HD 1080p capabilities.

Although 1080p is not necessary, it is quite stunning to have in a tablet, and Quad Core has not been fully unleashed in most android apps so one could argue either way on the tablets.

I know Sony and Lenovo will probably have some new tabs by the end of the year.

Also, if you are looking for a 7" tablet, keep your eye on the Google Nexus tablet. It is rumored to be the Asus MeMo 370T that will be the first official Google Nexus branded tablet.