Third-party IR remote control app?

Maine_Coon

Nov 19, 2011
Vizio stock remote control app is weak, to say the least.

I wonder if there are some developers working on their own IR remote app which would make our Vizios
as good as dedicated remotes which are sold from $200 to $1000/

One of the best IR control apps I've seen was RemoteControl II. Extremely powerful and customizable.
Unfortunately it is for WinMobile/PDA-only.

Really wish for something like this for the Android devices w/IR.

Hedgehog000

Nov 20, 2011
My only problem with the remote is I can't figure out how to open the dvd drawer with it

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

sdspieg

Sep 11, 2011
I used to love Noviiremote (from Noviimedia), which had been ported from Palm to WM. Are those guys still in business? The Google cache still has them, but I seem unable to get onto their website now... I'd certainly be willing to pay some money for another app that would cover a broader range of (also NON-US) appliances AND would be more 'open'. The Noviiremote had a HUGE codebase that was also publicly available - wouldn't it be possible to convert that database into sthg we could use even with the Vizio stock software?

And on the IR-topic: I have asked this question before, but now that there are more participants here in the forum maybe somebody will know the answer to this: is the IR-blaster that is built into the VTAB1008 also able to 'learn' (I mean the hardware - obviously the Vizio software does not support hat function)?

-Stephan

Maine_Coon

Nov 19, 2011
I doubt Vizio is capable of learning IR commands.
We need to know more about build-in IR blaster.
Some blasters can both learn and submit IR signals (For instance, IR blaster in Dell Axim 50v can certainly do it).

SEMIJim

Aug 20, 2011
I doubt Vizio is capable of learning IR commands.
For about the 3rd or 4th time: Unless it has an IR receiver, it cannot learn IR commands. Period.

I've seen no evidence to indicate the VTAB1008 has an IR receiver.

Jim

RobAGD

Apr 7, 2011
But with some IR remote apps you can "program" the control codes or add to the device databases.

I was hoping the Touchsquid ( https://market.android.com/details?...=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsIlJlbW90ZS5Ub3VjaC5TcXVpZCJd ) software would manage the IR blaster on the vizio, or Total Control ( Total Control - Android Remote Edition ) But there needs to be an sdk released according to the TC people ( RC Forums: Total Control Android Remote Edition Updates - Global Cache,... )

The touch Squid tablet when it finally gets released will be nice ( I hope ) as it has an IR T/R ability and learning, but now its priced a bit more than the Vizio ( now at $200 )

So it will be interesting to see how the tablet / remote market will go.

-Robert

Maine_Coon

Nov 19, 2011
Touchsquid MSRP is $399.
It does not have GPS.

They released remote control app for $29, but it does not work with Vizio IR.

Even if Vizio cannot learn IR codes by itself, it should be possible to Learn on the different device and then bring the codes in.
Of course Remote Control App should support importing codes/

androidluv

Nov 11, 2011
Does anyone know what files the device codes are stored in in the remoteapk for the vizio? I may try to edit the list to include a major component of my home AV system that is missing.

craigerd2

Nov 5, 2011
Seems like a really weak app. Am I missing something? I can't access the dvr functions on my comcast dvr.

Sent from my VTAB1008 using Android Tablet Forum

Cocuroci

Nov 29, 2011
I just got a tablet from Vizio, and what I most wanted him to do was just act as a universal remote for my home theater, but this application that comes with the Vizio is very weak, its database of equipment is great, but flawed, and one thing that is key for me is to have the possibility to register macros.

Given all that I believe this application that comes with the Vizio not good for much, does anyone have knowledge of other software that was more broad and flexible and works installed on Vizio Tablet?

RobAGD

Apr 7, 2011
Well, take a look at the global cache wifi2ir device with the touch squid app. I am working on using that with the fire to run my HT

-R

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

charger_1

Feb 28, 2012
The VTAB1008 does have an IR sensor... in the form of the onboard camera (which sucks goats I might add). Just open the camera app sometime and point a remote at it, you will see the flashes plain as day. I really REALLY hope some developer will make an app that will utilize this as a way to program non-listed remotes. Hell, if I knew how to program apps, I would be working on it right now! How many of you would GLADLY pay 20 bucks for a GOOD, WORKING remote app that will work on the VTAB1008? I would gladly pay double that.

Conspirator

Feb 10, 2012
There is also the light sensor which is next to the volume button. I loaded up a tester program and aimed my remote at it. The sensor readings shows it must be detecting the ir blast. It seems to have a higher refresh rate than the camera so would probably work better at capture of remote control codes.

Blwnv8

Dec 19, 2011
Here's an idea. This should work pretty good. Turns any android or apple device into a remote. Plus you can change it from other rooms. This would be great for home theater setups where there is no line of sight for the ir blaster.

Logitech Harmony® Link