Toshiba Expresses Bold Confidence in their Android Tablet - Takes Direct Aim at iPad2

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
toshiba_tablet_prototype.jpg

Picture Source: Slashgear​

Toshiba is confident they have an iPad2 killer with their new Android Tablet. The General Manager of Toshiba Australia’s Information Systems Division recently made the bold statement: “We believe that our device is superior to the Apple device, it may be a little heavier (773g), but it does have a lot of features that the iPad 2 does not have.”

Their confidence is inspiring and is in absolute contrast to Samsung's recent weak statements rethinking their own tablets. Toshiba indicated their pricing will be comparable to the iPad2 at around $600 bucks for the 32GB version, which will greatly contribute to their competitive edge against the Apple product. I like their attitude; "to be the best, you gotta beat the best".

What do you guys think? Is Toshiba being "over-confident" or do they really have what it takes to stick it to Apple?

Source: AndroidHeadlines

HTC Fan

Nov 21, 2010
They really have to compete on price to get past the general populous's opinion on apple products. A great marketing campaign is also needed. I felt the whole marketing department from motorola should have been fired.

dpeagle

Sep 7, 2010
this thing might be a great tablet and a true ipad killer if it was actually for sale. each day that passes brings it closer to being obsolete. hell, they dont even have a name for it yet. im getting a bit tired of companies showing new products so far in advance of their release date. remember when the rim "playbook" looked so leading edge.

SUPERMOM50

Dec 7, 2010
LET THE GAMES BEGIN!! toshiba is just getting serious about grabbing the masses they can!! The price is 'too far up there for me' but I'll sit and watch it play out!! This is going to be good! What a year!! Nothing like seeing companies really kick butt against each other- barnes and noble and amazon did the same thing! :cool:

Bilgediver

Dec 3, 2010
Meh, I'm on the fence. I'm looking forward to the Toshiba tablet, but I'm also iffy, considering it ain't out yet, and we don't know the price yet.

icreepin

Jan 25, 2011
I dont think toshiba is over stating anything, when you look at what the Ipad offers and the features isnt not a value for the money.

When you look at an android powered device you can do everything (other then hard core gaming and video editing) that you can do with a laptop and its more portable. The Ipad is more for entertainment where as the Android powered tablets, and the black berry play book comming out is built equally well for entertainment and business and school related task.

Now if toshiba really wanted to be a head of the game they would partner with a cell phone provider (such as HTC) and create the same features you will be getting when the play book is released and the ease that it can connect to and work with a black berry phone.

Comacine

Aug 23, 2010
Here's some ipad value that android fans rarely talk about: Lots of apps at full resolution. Hardware specs are great, but without the software there is no way to win the user experience battle, and therefore the market share.

elg

Feb 8, 2011
The tsunami disaster in Japan will probably delay release of the Toshiba tablet. I, for one, will wait. My most sincere condolences go out to all of the Japanese, and I wish them well in the rescue, nuclear containment, and rebuilding operations.

fbales

May 5, 2010
I've been keenly watching this race to produce quality Android tablets. I am very excited by this Toshiba tablet. It appears to be exactly the tablet I personally have been waiting for. Frankly, I like this advance notification we get of these tablets--I like knowing what's coming. Tegra will release quad-core processors for tablets some time this year, which I hope will drop the price of these dual-core tablets. I don't think Toshiba is going too far out on a limb with their claim. With the specs it boasts it's easy to be better than an iPad. Heck, any tablet with a USB and/or SD slot offers more functionality to me than an iPad. I have too large a media collection to consider an iPad. Okay, I wouldn't own an apple product because I don't like them, which is why I really like Android. What Apple does have besides the apps is accessories. To me the app market of so many apps is an advertising gimmick. How many apps can you use? 90% are crap anyway. The top 100 apps are going to be on both for phones and tablets. But there will probably never be an Andriod tablet that enjoys the number of accessories the iPad has. I've said before I that I didn't believe in an iPad killer. I said I thought Android tablets will own the majority of the tablet market, but that the iPad will still lead the pack. I don't think that's necessarily true anymore. The tablet market is not the phone market. Android phones now outsell iPhones, but I don't think any one of them will overtake the iPhone. I now think it is possible that one of these Android tablets can overtake the iPads spot. It could happen. One can only hope.

Bill_P

Apr 8, 2011
Based on what I've seen and read to date, I think the Toshiba tablet is the one to beat. Its release may be delayed due to the horrible natural disasters in Japan but I'm willing to wait. I hope the $450 US price for the Acer Iconia tablet is an indication of the pricing for the Toshiba.