Toshiba's 13.3-Inch Excite Tablet Passes Through the FCC

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
at330-excite-13.jpg

A new tablet just passed through the FCC, and you could be forgiven if you mistook it for a laptop at first glance. The Toshiba Excite 13.3 inch tablet has a display that is reminiscent of some laptops. The tablet will start selling in the U.S. in June for $650 dollars and up. Here's a spec recap on case you missed previous announcements:
  • NVIDIA Tegra 3 quad core processor
  • 1GB of RAM
  • 32GB to 64GB of storage
  • Google Android 4.0
  • 802.11b/g/n WiFi.
  • Full-sized USB ports, an HDMI port, and a full-sized SD card slot
  • Tablet measures about 0.4 inches thick, and weighs 2.2 pounds
While Toshiba has only announced plans to sell a 32GB model (for $649.99) and 64GB model (for $749.99), FCC documents show that there could be a 16GB version as well. How many of you guys could see yourselves using a tablet this big?

Source: Liliputing

userbe1155

Nov 8, 2011
Sounds great but how portable is a 13.3" screen? I know I know...laptops blah blah but it ain't gonna fit in a pocket now is it? Still want one tho' :) I mean, I don't go anywhere anyway!!

Sent from my M9701 using Android Tablet

ExtremeRyno

Jan 16, 2011
I'll either get this of the Asus TF700t. This one is perfect for my needs/wants....But the Transformer Infinity is just SWEET.

Khurram

Dec 7, 2011
I would love to get my hands on this one; 13" is still portable enough for me. Unfortunately, the price is just too high for me :(

reneye

May 4, 2012
7inch Android 4.0 tablet pc 512M 4GB flash 10.3 wifi 1.5GHz Wifi OTG cortex A8. it can play videos, movies, music,email,skype,MSN,camera,multi touch screen,wifi etc. this is the site for this shop: ELITE(HK) INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD Wholesaler - A Chinese Wholesale Store on DHgate. company name: elite international.any interesting you can feel free to contact them.

MA83

Feb 25, 2012
I don't think that a 13" will be that bad in terms of portability. It's the weight that's a problem. I recently used my 1.5 lb ASUS transformer tf101 out in the field for 3 days straight and it gets heavy after a while. I had to switch from holding it in landscape to portrait. So, at 2.2 lbs your looking at a weight that hampers extended use without something to set it on.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
at330-excite-13.jpg

A new tablet just passed through the FCC, and you could be forgiven if you mistook it for a laptop at first glance. The Toshiba Excite 13.3 inch tablet has a display that is reminiscent of some laptops. The tablet will start selling in the U.S. in June for $650 dollars and up. Here's a spec recap on case you missed previous announcements:
  • NVIDIA Tegra 3 quad core processor
  • 1GB of RAM
  • 32GB to 64GB of storage
  • Google Android 4.0
  • 802.11b/g/n WiFi.
  • Full-sized USB ports, an HDMI port, and a full-sized SD card slot
  • Tablet measures about 0.4 inches thick, and weighs 2.2 pounds
While Toshiba has only announced plans to sell a 32GB model (for $649.99) and 64GB model (for $749.99), FCC documents show that there could be a 16GB version as well. How many of you guys could see yourselves using a tablet this big?

Source: Liliputing

Count me in. This would be a around the house tablet for sure. I would use my Thrive or IPad2 for travel. Full size ports make it a watch item. previous reports said it would have micro everything which moved it to a low watch level, but if it is to have full size ports, it a whole new ball game.
Will this tablet be for everyone, thats a big NO. But it will work for many as well as professionals who can use Tablets but need more screen size for better customer viewing. It will be a limited market item and that is probably why Toshiba has it priced the way they do. Not expecting to sell a great many so they are charging more per unit to get the money back faster.

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Needs more bezel.

LOL does look pretty thick, but in the end it will probably be a larger version of the Thrive. And the Thrive is thick but not really any heavier than a I Pad2.
I Pad2 is 1.50.1 pounds on my postal scale and the thrive is 1.10.8, so the thrive is only 5.7 oz heavier than the IPad2.
If this new Pad is 2.2 it will only be what? 8 oz heavier than the Thrive? or there abouts. Face to face the bezel will probably be smaller than it looks in the picture.

MA83

Feb 25, 2012
The funny thing is that my work computer has a 13" screen. When I started using it I had wished that it was just a screen with everything built in. Now Toshiba's done just that - made my wish come true!

Androidfonefan

Jan 14, 2012
Needs more bezel.

LOL does look pretty thick, but in the end it will probably be a larger version of the Thrive. And the Thrive is thick but not really any heavier than a I Pad2.
I Pad2 is 1.50.1 pounds on my postal scale and the thrive is 1.10.8, so the thrive is only 5.7 oz heavier than the IPad2.
If this new Pad is 2.2 it will only be what? 8 oz heavier than the Thrive? or there abouts. Face to face the bezel will probably be smaller than it looks in the picture.

Most people these days are such wusses. There was a time when people lugged around 25 pound laptops (long long time ago, yes they were that big and heavy) and were happy to have them. Today people wine over something that is a million times the machine and 1/10 the weight. Sheesh.

The Osborne Computer. About.com: http://oldcomputers.net/osborne.html I have seen these is person. WOW what monsters.
$osborne1.jpg

MA83

Feb 25, 2012
I'm sure someone's got one of those gutted with an updated display and it kicks butt!

jiveturkee

Sep 17, 2011

Most people these days are such wusses. There was a time when people lugged around 25 pound laptops (long long time ago, yes they were that big and heavy) and were happy to have them. Today people wine over something that is a million times the machine and 1/10 the weight. Sheesh.

The Osborne Computer. About.com: http://oldcomputers.net/osborne.html I have seen these is person. WOW what monsters.
View attachment 6450

LOL, these were used in college in the late 80s. Memories.